RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I just got my ZR-7s a couple of months ago for commuting in the San Francisco Bay area and so far I love it. I was lucky enough to get it from someone that already had the full Givi luggage set up installed.

After a couple of months of owning the bike and reading these forum posts I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to listen:

1. I know there is the "resistor fix" for the inaccurate fuel gauge, but since I've been riding for about 20 years and haven't needed one so far, has anyone replaced this gauge with anything more useful like an oil temp gauge, or a clock?

2. Under the passenger section of the seat I noticed a built in mount with a couple of rubber clamp downs for some sort of cylindrical shaped thing. Whats this for?

3. Has anyone used the space in the sides of the ZR-7s fairing to mount anything? Cigarette lighter power source, flashlight, storage box for your gloves, etc?

I like to tinker with and farklize my bikes, any suggestions/comments about something you did to your Zr-7(s) that worked for you is always helpful and appreciated. I've already gotten lots of ideas from what I've read here.

Oh, and by the way, since winter is coming, has anyone had problems driving these bikes in the rain?

Like I said, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area, and work M-F 9-5. So if anyone wants to go for a ride, I am more than willing, ready and able to haul *** out of town when given the chance.

Ride Safe

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I do not have a problem riding this bike in the rain. The friendly power delivery means it's hard to get out of shape unless you really try, also good tyres make a difference. The last time I took it on the track I was going around the outside of some pansies on sports bikes when the rain came. That would have been the only time I would have been able to do it.

To be honest I have never thought about using that space and will look into a power source in that area.

I did the resister fix when the bike was newer and I think the accuracy has since changed. I always run the tank down until I hit reserve then fill up any way as I have done with all my previous bikes.

The rubber clamp thing.....I think it might be for the tool kit.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
1. I know there is the "resistor fix" for the inaccurate fuel gauge, but since I've been riding for about 20 years and haven't needed one so far, has anyone replaced this gauge with anything more useful like an oil temp gauge, or a clock?.
AndreL has a cylinder head temp guage, but he added to the existing guages and made a new face plate. I'm sure it would be increadibly easy to replace the fuel guage with something like a Motorex clock. Oil temp would be substantially more challenging, but not impossible I suppose.

2. Under the passenger section of the seat I noticed a built in mount with a couple of rubber clamp downs for some sort of cylindrical shaped thing. Whats this for?
California emissions? (never seen a Cali bike), or the toolkit as mentioned.

3. Has anyone used the space in the sides of the ZR-7s fairing to mount anything? Cigarette lighter power source, flashlight, storage box for your gloves, etc??
Storage box might be a little ambitious, but a power jack would be fairly simple. Thought about it, but sold the bike before I got around to it. You could wire it to the accesory circuit under the seat so it wouldn't have to go to the battery. Note the sides of the fairing are a little flimsy, and you'd have to ensure the connections are really water proof not water reisistant ...

Oh, and by the way, since winter is coming, has anyone had problems driving these bikes in the rain?
I rode my 7S through rain that was of truly BIBLICAL proportions more than once. The bike itself was never an issue ... tread life on the tires, another story. The engine never hiccuped and the brakes aren't powerful enough to be grabby. One thing I did that I wouldn't do again is cut down the rear fender. After I did that the rain just made a mess of me and the bike.

·
Registered
466 Posts
These bikes make excellent commuters.
1. As for the fuel gauge, it's nothing more than an indicator and I rely on the trip odometer. Two round trips to work and back is 230 miles. That's when I fill up with about 4.2 gallons, leaving 1.6 in reserve. I'd rather have a clock or temp gauge in that hole.
2. I once was told the strap under the seat was a hold-down for a U-shaped lock. I use the space for a fuse block and a ground block. The tools are right behind the battery.
3. I recently considered drilling a hole in the section of fairing you refer to for a switch for my driving lights. However, it's too far from the handlebar to dim the lights for oncoming traffic. As it is, I fumble for the switch and often hit the flasher.
I've ridden in rain several times and even snow on a trip to Death Valley last April. With good tires, weather is not an issue for this bike for the reasons others have stated. My only complaints with this bike are the suspension, brakes, and seat.

Jack
Calaveras County

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I bought my ZR new and have put almost 40,000 miles on it. Early on I did the "fuel gauge resistor mod" -- simple and cost only pennies. Don't worry about rain. I'm a rain magnet and have done several thousand wet miles without a hiccup. Same with sub-freezing temps, too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
One thing I did that I wouldn't do again is cut down the rear fender. After I did that the rain just made a mess of me and the bike.
Thanks for that bit of advice. I was considering cutting down the fender however Darwin's wet season with massive rain storms nearly everyday, I think I will leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Eric,

I also purchased a ZR-7S recently for commuting and weekend rides, and I also live in the San Francisco Bay Area, it's nice to be able to ride so many days out of the year here! The resistor fix for motorcycle fuel gauges is fairly common and easy to do, you might discover that you really like having a fuel gauge once it is accurate. Rain riding should be no problem, apart from the safety/visiblity aspect. One modification that I made right away was to replace the stock 16-tooth countershaft sprocket with a 17-tooth sprocket, lowering engine revs by about 6 percent, which may not seem like a lot, but makes freeway cruising at fast-lane speeds more comfortable, and boosted mpg as well. I wonder how many other Bay Area ZR-7(S) owners there are here...?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its good to hear that the bike can handle the rain. I no stranger to it myself having grown up in Florida, where it rains at 3:30 in the afternoon just about everyday for an hour. Its raining right now, so I just Rainexed my visor to get ready for the ride to work tomorrow.

Mods/Farkles: Givi E-21 side cases, Givi E-350 top case, Tourmaster tank bag, ZG S-T windscreen, Throttlemeister w/ custom-made fingerwheel, Garmin 60-Csx GPS, BMW Sport Grips, Kisan Tailblazers, fuel guage mod, Fenda Extenda, 1" spot mirrors, Formotion clock, Alaska Leathers sheepskin butt pad, Fiamm horn, Datel voltmeter, Progressive 11-1145 fork springs, Teltek thermometer
Hey Doug, how is that Throttlemeister set up working for you? I had never heard of them till I saw your farkle list so I looked 'em up. Sounds good in theory, but what do you think of them? And those Fenda Extendas look like a good idea too.

2. I once was told the strap under the seat was a hold-down for a U-shaped lock.
Judging by the shape, that makes sense.

One modification that I made right away was to replace the stock 16-tooth countershaft sprocket with a 17-tooth sprocket, lowering engine revs by about 6 percent, which may not seem like a lot, but makes freeway cruising at fast-lane speeds more comfortable, and boosted mpg as well.
Sounds like that might make up for only having 5 gears. I'd be interested in that mod. Is there any significant change to overall performance/acceleration?

Is everyone out there sticking to the strict 6000 mile valve clearance check schedule? I've done it once before on my old KZ550 and it had similar under bucket shims to adjust the valve clearances on the ZR-7s. It was not fun on the KZ, and the idea of having to do it every other oil change does not sound fun at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my 00 will never warm up when its a torrential downpour , i m forced to leave the choke on much longer tan desired

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,141 Posts
Is everyone out there sticking to the strict 6000 mile valve clearance check schedule? I've done it once before on my old KZ550 and it had similar under bucket shims to adjust the valve clearances on the ZR-7s. It was not fun on the KZ, and the idea of having to do it every other oil change does not sound fun at all.
After my valaves settled in I stretched my valve check intervals out to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought my 7S with 79 miles on the clock. I now have 15,000. Love the bike! Cheap to insure and fun to ride. I too live in the SF Bay Area. I ride maybe 300 day a year rain and shine. Handles ok in the rain, but I don't drive crazy either. I also did the resister mod, but use the trip-meter instead. Almost all stock except for the slip-on can. The black box under the pass. seat is the Cali emission box. The small bottle with the rubber tube, I think its for lubricating the chain? I never use it. I considered the sprocket mod, but enjoy the acceleration of the stock setup, sometimes still looking for that six gear, lol. I have the Purple/Blue skin with the black tint touring Zero Gravity wind/s. Honk twice if you see me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When swapping the 16-tooth countershaft sprocket for a 17-tooth, arguably it does accelerate a bit slower, but I'm perfectly happy to simply open the throttle a bit more to compensate, especially since I rarely accelerate at full throttle anyway. In fact, I don't really use the upper 1/3 of the engine's rev range very often, this engine has plenty of torque lower in the rev range, and I haven't noticed any situations where having taller gearing has made any difference getting up to speed quickly, accelerating around traffic, etc. I do like being able to comfortable stay in each gear a bit longer before shifting.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The small bottle with the rubber tube, I think its for lubricating the chain? I never use it. Hudson .....,,,, Thats the air box drain line ... Some liquid may form in there and should be drained or at least checked now and than ...

·
Boy Scout
1,342 Posts
Slaterb - welcom to the neighborhood you'll love the bike. Like "Gump" told me when I was looking at the 7S back in 02' he told me it's " The jack of all trades but master of none" great commuter bike / touring bike. I've been in monsoon weather in West Virginia w/ "LawmanAdam" when we took a day off from "Ride on the Ridge" and it performed great. I've road the bike from South Carolina to Kentucky and to Canada (Niagara Falls) and it did great. Under my seat I've got stashed (Gloves, eclectrical tape, leatherman knife, registration, notepad, pencil, multi use screw driver and a $50 for any emergencies. I guess that's why I got the nickname "Boyscout" from Berto.
Enjoy the bike :silly:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hey Doug, how is that Throttlemeister set up working for you? I had never heard of them till I saw your farkle list so I looked 'em up. Sounds good in theory, but what do you think of them? And those Fenda Extendas look like a good idea too.

I had both and liked them a lot. The Throttlemeister is the best throttle lock I've used yet. The stainless steel looks great too. The Fenda Extenda is great just so you don't have rocks playing musical notes on your headers. Just remember to hammer the self tapping screws flat after installation.

·
Registered
986 Posts
When I fitted mine (Fenda exenda) I used some silicone mastic to hold it in place as well as the screws. Then, once the mastic had cured, I removed each screw in turn and sawed off the last 1/8"before refitting it. No more sharp points to worry about (and a lot easier than hammering)

·
Registered
40 Posts
i got a new-to-me 2002 zr-7s it's blueish purple, and i saw this post asking a bunch of questions, i hate to hi-jack, but i cant really post and i didn't think it would matter :) anyhoo, ive got 40,300 miles on mine.. is this to much for a bike like this "it's been takin very good care of" also it had some white spots on the engine, im guessing from the salt down in galveston. first off, i managed to "clean the engine" by basically cleaning it with oil. it's dried now and looks about 100% better, is this ok? or will this cause damage? and the other question would be the high milage.

·
Registered
986 Posts
High mileage??
What 'high mileage'??
at 40,000 the engine's just about run in.
You may need to think about replacing the rear suspension soon, and change the fork oil, but the engine is just about bullet-proof.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You should be fine....

i got a new-to-me 2002 zr-7s it's blueish purple, .... ive got 40,300 miles on mine.. is this to much for a bike like this ... and the other question would be the high milage.
Hey there VAR. First of all :welcome: to the forum.
Second of all, the "official" color is "BLURPLE" (actually the manufacturer calls it "Metallic Blue Violet")
Third of all, I'm an original owner of a 2002 Blurple 7S. I am just about to turn 50,000 miles on it and it runs like the day I bought it. Just keeping up with regular maintenance.

If your new-to-you 2002 has, indeed, been well taken care of.... You should have no problems at all. There are a few members here that have taken their ZR-7's to beyond 80,000 miles.

Again, :welcome: :alcy:

·
Registered
40 Posts
hijacked again :(

lol i feel bad now i took this dudes thread , SORRY oP :) how come they havn't taken it past 80k? did it break? did they just get rid of it? i dont see how anyone could part with this bike? other than the weird noises that come from the guage cluster lol i see NOTHING wrong with this bike. i cruise at 70 perfectly :) and sense ive posted i had 40k on it im now at 41k what's the two days? lol so glad to hear they work so well. i have yet one more question. and sorry again. My bike was "found" in freeport ( here in texas ) it's on the water. and the engine had some little white spots on it. im guessing from salt.. you know of a remedy that i could find a way to get the engine back to black again?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts