RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of these Wild 1 chubby low profile drag bars today and am finally happy with the pullback.
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Wild_1_Chubby_Blackout_Series_1_1_4_Handlebars_p/wo560b.htm

Pros:
-They are 1.5" taller and 2" more pullback than stock.
-They have a flat black finish.
-Look good on the bike
-Low profile

Cons:
-Hand grip area is raw metal, no coating, with plenty of rust on them. :soap:
-The powdercoat has classic signs of under curing; a pitted appearance in some areas and I can scratch it easily. :soap:

I've been without bars for 3 weeks and suddenly I may have to send them back again. Really annoying and I assume this is a random occurrence, I haven't heard anything bad about these bars before so the coater must have had a bad batch. I'm probably going to hold onto them and have them recoated with my risers this winter. I can get the grip area fixed that way too.

I'm also using a set of meanmachinist angled risers. With them they are 1" higher than stock and 4" more pullback. Finally I can lean back on that mustang backrest and cruise with a relaxed ride and no shoulder pain.

I'm tall at 6' with long arms but I have shoulder issues which is why I wanted extreme amounts of pullback. If the bars had actually been the 14.5" claimed versus the stock 10" it would have been fine without the risers. For most people the bars alone would be fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I feel that most of the time when I have something powered coated it's best to use a small local company. It's just my luck when I have to pay UPS shipping I get it back and it look like the person who did the job was hungover that day.

I do feel your pain Streak07 but those bars have to be killer looking on the SE.
Do you have FC's on your bike? The reason I'm asking is I'm only 5'8 and I had an awful time with everything until I put the kewl risers on with stock bars, now I too can sit back and enjoy the Mustang seat.

Reactions: T-Meanie

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope no forwards. I was technically able to use the backrest with the stock bars but it was all the way forward and my arms had to be extended a bit more than I find comfortable because of my shoulder issues. Now I'm sitting back and my arms are in a very relaxed position. Still need to swap over the controls/grips and ensure the throttle cables still fit, my brake lines are already extended braided stainless.

And I agree, I will only get stuff coated from a guy I see face to face unless I've gotten stuff from them before and really trust them. I'm really kicking myself for not keeping my oven and gun or I'd do them myself and it'd be done with .75 cents worth of powder but will now cost me $30-40.

·
Registered
217 Posts
+1

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Add another to the list of would be oglers

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now the old bars are still laying on the tank and my headlight is sitting in a bucket. I'll have it back together this weekend and post some pics then. I've got a lot of projects going on with my 2 bikes at the same time so they're all at 50% complete.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
They look good! But for pete's sake, peel the dang octane warning sticker off that tank!!!!! lol

Reactions: T-Meanie

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very nice!!

Tim do you know if they have them in chrome? This is something that i would like to do as well in the future!

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe you guys could help cause this is a handlebar question. I found these: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-675?N=28004109+274980 and was considering them, but I don't know exactly how to measure them up against the stock bars. I have Genmar risers on my bike. When measuring the height fo I go in a straight line to the bar, or straight up? I hope you guys can help me.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've found every bar to be different and not get measured the same. I tried the CP punisher bars which claimed 13" of pullback and only got the stock 10" when installed. These are 14.5" and give me 12" of pullback when installed. Some bike manufacturers measure their specs when they're siting flat on the ground and others measure them as installed on the bike. I've never had bars equal what the manufacturer claims and this is my 4th set of bars.

Are you trying to get more pullback than with the genmars or just go to a 1 piece bar? Based upon my experience of bars coming up short you'll have less pullback than the stock bars with these let alone with the risers.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just as an update I had to adjust the angle of the brake line. The stock clutch and throttle cables fit fine relocated behind the trees although the clutch may not be at the best angle, it may get a bit pinched at full left lock. This winter I'll put the extended one on that I have. I figure the 2" of the bars only and it would be fine but the extra 2" with the risers is just too much for the stock line. Honestly I'm surprised it still works considering they're up 1", back 4".

Also the wires are very low and can touch the tank at times. If I drilled holes to put the original plastic tabs into the bars it would keep them off but its definitely a long distance for them to droop. They may find themselves lengthened and hidden in the bars this winter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks i appreciate it, one last question . I currently have genmar risers, will they fit the handlebars?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts