RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We had a company credit card and a very expensive machine to rebuild. Tool cost, even Snap-On, wasn't anything that would be noticed in the overal

Back in 2007, Yamaha gave these away as a promotion. You just entered your vin number, and in a few weeks your torque wrench would arrive. A small group of us soon discovered the "rebate" went through on any previous Yamaha vin no matter when you really purchased it.

Even though it's about 10x too expensive, it's well worth buying. It's so well designed. The ratchet end is surgically like precision .

The wrench also warns you when you are within 10% of your setting. It's compact, well balanced. One of my most valued tools, even though I am guilty of grand larceny and probably postal fraud to obtain it.

I kick myself for buying my gear wrench 1/4". Even though it's good, it's not at this level. If I were doing this torque thing, on a regular basis, I would buy the 1/4" version View attachment 123621
Send me the $ to buy it and I will. ha ha

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just had an "AH-HA!" moment after reading posts somewhere else....seems that Amazon and other sites sell used Texton tools (like torque wrenches etc etc) and they're probably why I wasn't satisfied w/ their quality. Therefore I 'm buying directly from the manufacturer , well hopefully anyways. Probably should get a "torque tester" also, just to be safe.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thankfully I was given Snap-on torque wrenches in 3/8, and 1/4, otherwise I doubt I would have bought them as snap-on is way overpriced stuff. I would have bought quality but I’m just glad I didn’t have to do the research.
I also bought recently a Harbor Fright 1/2 inch cheapo soley for tightening the lug nuts on my car. I don’t use it for anything else. I also bought their cheapo torque adapter.

My brother asked me for my wrenches as he was bringing his company's wrenches to be calibrated so I gave him my snap-on wrenches.

When I got them back I tested them vs. the HF adapter. The adapter was right about where my freshly calibrated snap-on was. So, the electronic adapter turned out to br pretty good.

Then I tested the cheap HF 1/2 inch torque wrench against the adapter and found it to be pretty dang close. More than good enough for lug nuts.
I would not recommend this particular HF 1/2” wrench. I bought it with a coupon for less than $20 bucks and it’s operating quality matches the price. Horrible ( but fairly accurate). BUT… I believe that HF has added an upgraded line of torque wrenches that may just be worth a look.

·
Registered
2003 zr-7s
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Zed7- Yes, Harbor Freight (HF) DID have a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench as of 1 month ago (ICON brand which had good reviews). It has been discontinued per the HF people.

The reviews I've read on most low cost and some mid-range cost torque wrenches = they're accurate for the 1st 4-5 bolts then lose their settings after 5-10 cranks/bolts (?) by up to 10j% or more. Same with Texton bought from Amazon, vs. better quality bought direct from manufacturer.

I've also read/researched that Amazon/ebay/resellers etc etc often sell used torque wrenches advertised as new. I can't afford Snap-on, nor Mac Tools, Therefore I decided for the above reasons to buy directly from Texton.

thanks all for your interest.
It's appreciated,
Michel

21 - 25 of 25 Posts