RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, monday i picked up this 03 z1000 from a guy in central mi. coming off a buell lightning. i've done alot of research on the bike, but it's alot of info to take in and remember all at once. paid 3,600, so think i did alright. It also came with a taller windshield, another underbody peice for the tail with built in flush blinkers (was meant for use with the fender elim), rear stand with spools, stock mirrors, new clutch lever, and all the packages from any cosmetic upgrades.

The Good: only 13.7k miles (fairly low-ish?), full (i believe) Hindle exhaust. dynojet power commander (the non-street one, with the three buttons). Integrated Led tail light. License plate relocated (fender eliminator). Hand guards. Heated hand grips. Spiegler braided steel brake lines.

The Bad: few chips in the paint. the braided lines weren't routed very well, so they're rubbing through the paint in places. rear seat has rough spots on edges ( guy said it fell off one time riding when it wasnt fully latched). The master front brake cylinder seems to leak, when i got the bike, it was empty so i filled n bled the breaks. now im thinking that this is why it was empty. the breaks did feel like crap when i squeeze them to the bar. a little better now but still spongy when i first get on the bike. also, it has no license plate light, i'd like to add one, not sure how.

The ????: The guy i got it from barely rode it, so he could hardly tell me anything about it. he got it from the owner of a dealership on trade. everything he told me about it was in the form of, "the guy i bought it from said it has xxxx."

so here's what he TOLD me it has that im curious about:
hindle exhaust, is it full? just mid and can?
integrated rear blinker seems to blink at double pace, does it blinking either way and also in 4 way flasher mode. in the package from it are the little rectangular ceramic pieces, are these resistors for the blinkers? if so, how would i install them? where?
he said it had "upgraded suspension." it doesn't appear so to me, but if you see something let me know.
also said it has "upgraded brakes," although i think all that's upgraded is the lines.
the brake lever is bent for "comfort"...
clutch lever chopped for "comfort"....

sorry to write a book, just wanted to give the most info i could. I'd like to be the student here and let the experts explain the bike to me. tel me anything you see, good or bad. tell me what i need to do to fix anythings wrong, or just make it better.

ENLIGHTEN ME, OH WISE ONES!!
IMAG0814.jpg IMAG0823.jpg IMAG0825.jpg IMAG0826.jpg IMAG0827.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here shows a little of the brake res leakage after just a 10 min ride. when looking at it, notice the bottom right corner (as in photo) is wet.

IMAG0843.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
so here's what he TOLD me it has that im curious about:
hindle exhaust, is it full? just mid and can? The Z1000 came with a dual exhaust, so I bet this bad boy is a full system.

integrated rear blinker seems to blink at double pace, does it blinking either way and also in 4 way flasher mode. in the package from it are the little rectangular ceramic pieces, are these resistors for the blinkers? if so, how would i install them? where? Bingo, they are resistors and they will slow down your flash rate. Install one each on the power wires going to your turn signals/brake light. If you need a wiring diagram look up clearalternatives.com and they might have one that is similar.

he said it had "upgraded suspension." it doesn't appear so to me, but if you see something let me know.Maybe he re-sprung the forks or put different oil in them? The forks are stock though. The rear shock that is way over sprung for most riders also appears stock.

also said it has "upgraded brakes," although i think all that's upgraded is the lines.Just the brake lines im afraid. Maybe EBC pads but I can't tell.

the brake lever is bent for "comfort"...
clutch lever chopped for "comfort".... People do weird stuff sometimes. To me the levers and bar ends are usually a dead give away that the bike has been down on that side. Even if it's just a tip over.

sorry to write a book, just wanted to give the most info i could. I'd like to be the student here and let the experts explain the bike to me. tel me anything you see, good or bad. tell me what i need to do to fix anythings wrong, or just make it better.

Change the oil. Clean up that chain. Set the controls where you feel they are the most comfortable IE I have my brake and clutch tilted down, shift lever adjusted where I like it. Replace the master cylinder with a ZX9R unit. I did and I am much happier with it. My stock one weeped a bit also.

I hope some of this helps. More than anything- ride and enjoy it. Welcome to the Z1000 brotherhood. These bikes are extremely reliable and fun to ride. I have a slew of mods on mine and I literally rode it over 9,000 miles in 28 days all across the USA. We have happily been together since ~2000 miles and she almost has 22,000 now. I have had zero issues and I haven't done anything more than routine maintenance. Any other questions just ask. I watch the forum and will try to help whenever possible.

Here's a link to a ZX9R master, you would need to buy a reservoir as well. The good news is Z1000 and this ZX9R levers are interchangable if you ever want to go with shorties. I got a reservoir recently for 30 dollars brand new shipped to the door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-ZX-9R-Ninja-Kaw-ZX900-front-brake-master-cylinder-/350591634255?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a0e3cb4f&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And this ^^^ is why i joined this site. Thanks Wolf!

i would agree with the levers being and indication of a tip over, but they arent discolored or scuffed at all. and there are no other signs of tip over on the bike.

it actually IS a clear alternatives integrated light. I'm going to get on those resistors, and also try to work out a license light.

for the brake thatd end up being over 100 to fix it. did you ever figure out what caused the leak? seal?cap?screwholes? maybe theres a cheaper fix.

thanks again, ill be trying to get to the airbox today to see if anythings been done there.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I join forums for pretty all the vehicles I own for the same reason. So whenever I can offer advice I try to help people out!

Im pretty sure you can download a Haynes manual online. I can't remember where I did but a little bit of searching will go a long way. Just in case you're not sure how to get to the airbox. :thumbsup:

I used the factory fender holes when I built my fender eliminator. My license plate is directly under my stock tail light and is clearly illuminted by the glow. I have never been hassled about it.

There is only one black rubber O ring seal in the brake master cylinder if I remember correctly. Right at the top. Inspect that and see if it's in good shape or if it's even there at all. I understand your hesitation to upgrade the brakes, I told myself when I first got mine that I wasn't going to modify it too much. I wanted to ride it and not have a project. Well, about 3 years later it is everything I wanted out of the Z and more. This winter will be solely motor work. Why? Because I have done pretty much everything else already!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i almost bought this bike. i was looking at 2 z's and this is the first one i contacted but he took to long to email me back. he said he was outta town for 2 weeks. so by the time he got back with me i had already bought mine. what a coincidence

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i almost bought this bike. i was looking at 2 z's and this is the first one i contacted but he took to long to email me back. he said he was outta town for 2 weeks. so by the time he got back with me i had already bought mine. what a coincidence
thats funny. i sold my buell saturday and had this one on monday. i had been looking for a z or cb1000r to replace my buell and the only 2 i could find in michigan were this one and an all black, all stock one in detroit. for 600 bucks more than the stock one, i got this one with 1k fewer miles, full hindle exhaust, and all the other goodies, including heated grips and integrated tail.

i managed to get the seat off but didnt pry the gas tank up, however i could see that the air box mod was done, although the filter looked dirty. I'll probably put a k&n in it soon. will i be able to just pick this up at autozone/advanced auto? or is this a special filter.

rode at night last night and hated the big ol pumpkins for blinkers up front; will be replacing asap. also, the headlight is bright as f***, like holy cow, at least compared to my buell, i feel like im driving one of those baja cars with half a dozen off road flood lights.

..... BUTTTT, anybody installed the xenon bulbs? no, not the hid ones, the cheapo, xenon incandescent bulbs. the blue hid's are sweet, but my wallet would be satisfied with the whiter-than-stock xenon bulbs. anybody tried them? are they as bright as stock? if not i wont do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Juss picked up a '06 Z1000 myself. Thanks for the info. I don't kow about you but I plan to lower the bars for a more aggressive riding position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '03 Z1000 with an integrated tail light/blinkers. My blinkers blink at the double rate but i like the faster blink rate, makes me more visible/obvious. Is there any harm in letting them blink faster? My license plate is just mounted through stock holes also and I have no light other than the tail light and never had any issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts