RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ninja400Riders.com - The Largest Kawasaki Ninja 400 Enthusiast Forum, Community And Owner's Club

Hi guys, just posting finally cause this forum has helped me with my 400r, i know its not a 650, but its the same everything except the engine is sleeved to reduce the displacement. I have a question im hoping someone could help me with. Im wondering if the ECU on my 400 is programmed with a different fuel map than the ECU of a 650 (i imagine it is, but i want to be sure) and im wondering if installing a 650 ECU will increase the amount of fuel delivered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that would be the best step, but there are no Dynos close to me, and the Power commander is a bit beyond my price range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going by the fact they are basically the same bike other than the fact the 400's engine is sleeved. every other component, other than the headers, and im assuming the ECU is programmed slightly differently.i can get any part for a 2009+ 650 and it will fit my 400. i can only imagine the computers are the same other than the fuel mapping is slightly different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SO you're after more power here? I would think a PC would be the way to go, with a pipe, as you can adjust the maps. The ECU out of the 650 wouldn't give you that tuning ability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i got a PC i dont have anywhere to Dyno, so i would also need PC autotune, and as you can imagine me with a 400, im kinda poor lol. Thanks all of you for the feedback and advice. What about a two bros Juice Box since i just want to add fuel, and not reduce it?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
How are you going to just play with your ecu without knowing what changes are being made to the bike without a dyno? Thats a pretty risky thing to do. Where do you live that you dont have a dyno within an hours drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing that i can fine on Google, and I have experience with engines (mostly car, but i can still tell when an engine is running good, okay, and bad), and just reading up on the juice box now, i am fairly sure i can improve the performance of my bike without damaging it, depending on the amount of fuel per increment it adds. that's why i was initially thinking the stock 650 ECU, due to its set fuel map, with the changes i made, it would fit the bill if its difference in fuel delivered is not too much greater than my ECU. If my guess is correct i can Literally swap ECU's and it will increase the fuel delivered at a proper rate throughout the powerband. But i think ill go to a dealership and see if they know about the ECU programming of a 400r vs a 650r

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've heard of guys wiring resistors inline with O2 sensors to trick the ECU into providing more fuel. I honestly don't know if that's possible for your bike or even a good idea.

Is it really running lean, or do just have a little less power at low to mid RPMs than you did before? A change to a larger diameter header and exhaust can decrease low end power.

If it's really lean, your plugs will be really white (no light gray at all) and you'll be running hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crank is the same, and the Cams are the same according to the Dealer, and its running hot and when i checked the plugs after I cleaned my filter and they were quite white.

·
Registered
642 Posts
^ I find it just a bit odd that changing headers and exhaust would (by itself) affect the fuel ratio.

Is it possible it was running lean before?

Is it possible you have a leak somewhere on the intake side?

Is it possible I'm annoying you with my questions yet? :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Makes sense that it would run lean after an exhaust change, you're reducing any or all restriction in the exhaust path, that means more air flow into the engine as well, and the same amount of fuel = lean. Are the 400's injectors the same size? Theoretically, the ECU should be running at or near max pulse width, as the ECU must see this lean condition. In any case, I wouldn't be running it in this condition for any amount of time, it'll get worse as the weather cools off.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
^ I find it just a bit odd that changing headers and exhaust would (by itself) affect the fuel ratio.

Is it possible it was running lean before?

Is it possible you have a leak somewhere on the intake side?

Is it possible I'm annoying you with my questions yet? :D
It always does. That's why everyone suggests doing the Power Commander if you get a slip on. Doing the headers will affect it even more. It's usually not necessary but helps a lot with getting proper fuel ratios.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 'Ninja 400r'. I thought the only twin Ninja's were the 250r & 650r?

Edit: Canadian/UK/New Zealand markets... That explains it. Land of Uncle Sam here.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yeah. It's mostly for insurance purposes. Doesn't really make sense otherwise since it costs and weighs the same as the 650R (literally the same bike with sleeved cylinders like the OP mentioned).

·
Registered
391 Posts
The cheapest and easiest option is going to be the PCV w/Autotune. Its pricey, i hear ya, but thats the best option right now if you dont have a close and cheap dyno.

Wish we had the 400 here in the states. Id jump on a 400 in a heartbeat for the insurance savings. Prolly be quite a sleeper too, modded to 650, full exhaust (black Arrow full with the "Arrow" plate removed.), PCV + Autotune, removed middle head gasket, BRP airbox and springs, upgraded suspension, brakes....yeah, its just a 400 :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts