RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the forums here and am looking to purchase my first bike. I am looking at the 650R's as my first purchase. I acquiring all of my gear pre-purchase, I don't want to ride without it. Any thoughts on the 650 as a bike for a first time rider?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to take a course, and I have no interest in stunting, twisties are another thing, but the idea of those before I'm experienced scare the hell outta me.

·
Johnny Blue Lightnin'
12,139 Posts
If you are in the USA take the MSF beginners course. Take the course before you buy a bike. Also, I would strongly recommend buying a small cc used bike, riding it for at least a year, then buying the bike you really want.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
MSF course for sure. I had ridden for a year back in the 60s when I was 19. reentered the mc world when I was 49, taking the msf course. I was astonished at how much I did NOT know about motorcycling.

although I did not do it, buying a used smaller bike and riding it for 6 mo to a year makes lots of sense. you won't be as angry with yourself if you drop'n'dent it.

good luck! welcome to the forum. keep us filled in on your progress.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
If you are in the USA take the MSF beginners course. Take the course before you buy a bike. Also, I would strongly recommend buying a small cc used bike, riding it for at least a year, then buying the bike you really want.
While I agree with a used bike and taking the course, I wont agree with " at least a year". Some get comfortable rather fast and for some it may take longer. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
While I agree with a used bike and taking the course, I wont agree with " at least a year". Some get comfortable rather fast and for some it may take longer. YMMV.
I agree with this. Also, read this: http://www.riderforums.com/training-ground-new-riders/79240-shoulda-listened-coulda-shoulda-woulda.html In this thread we do everything we can to convince the OP that his 650 will be okay, but he decides to go 250 anyway. Personal wisdom at work- that's what it takes to make good choices.

Our hero is also featured here: http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/63875-ninja-650r-too-much-bike-beginner.html Notice everyone has an opinion and a different way to justify their position. All we have is our experiences.

A used 250 wins the argument nearly every time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The one thing we are all in agreement is the MSF course. I took it a year after I was alredy riding and found all my bad habits hard to break. Bad habits which could have killed me. MSF course dude! Start there first!

And buy used. Everyone drops their bike at some time. Dont drop a new bike! You'll feel like a jerk.

-kg

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
MSF course for sure. I had ridden for a year back in the 60s when I was 19. reentered the mc world when I was 49, taking the msf course. I was astonished at how much I did NOT know about motorcycling.

although I did not do it, buying a used smaller bike and riding it for 6 mo to a year makes lots of sense. you won't be as angry with yourself if you drop'n'dent it.

good luck! welcome to the forum. keep us filled in on your progress.
This makes SO much sense. A lot of new riders aren't comfortable buying used and are afraid of taking a bath if they end up buying a lemon. But look at it like this, say you buy a "once dropped" Ninja 250 for $2000, the MOST you can lose is $2000, In all likelihood, you'll be able to ride it a couple thousand miles, drop it once and sell it for $1800. Buy a brand new 650, drop it once and you'll lose $2000 right there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never rode a motorcycle, took the course, and now I feel 100% comfortable with my abilities.

However, I bought an '09 650R back in '11. It had like 2000 miles on it, almost brand new. Of course I wrecked and tore up the fairings a few months into having it. I would purchase used, ride the used bike for a year or two, get comfortable with your abilities, then upgrade.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The one thing we are all in agreement is the MSF course. I took it a year after I was alredy riding and found all my bad habits hard to break. Bad habits which could have killed me. MSF course dude! Start there first!

And buy used. Everyone drops their bike at some time. Dont drop a new bike! You'll feel like a jerk.

-kg
The MSF Course didn't teach you not to drop your bike lol

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I think what everyone is trying to say is do it their way or they will tell you they told you so if you don't and something doesn't go right.

Just kidding. As you can see, many ways to do it and they may or may not work for you. Many good experiences though. One of which will be yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a friends wife take a class after they got 2 new harleys.Last day of class she fell over her bike broke her foot&ankle.Sold both and back at 2 up on Goldwing like they were before and very happy.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Sorry, not enough information to say whether the 650 is a good beginner bike for you. I will agree with everyone's advice about taking the MSF class.

Factors involved with the decision to go with a 650 as your first bike:

Your physical strength and size. Can you man handle the bike with ease? You could find yourself in situations where you have stopped and leaned the bike over a little too far for a person without strength to hold it up. A smaller bike will be lighter and easier to handle.

How much experience do you have with two wheels? Are you an avid cyclist? Ride street and mountain bikes? Extensive bicycling experience translates over to motorcycling pretty well.

Do you have very good focus and concentration? Motorcycling is not an activity for those with short attention spans.

I would definitely recommend starting on a cheap used bike, but I don't mind you buying new because someone has to for there to end up being used bikes for others to purchase.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely have the physical ability to handle the large bike. I'm 6 foot 250 lbs and strong enough to handle it. I also used to ride a dirt bike and have always felt at home on two wheels.

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I would buy gear that is comfortable, and also somethign you'll really wear.....not things, you "should" wear. Buy a helmet one size smaller thna you think you should. If its comfortable in the shop when your looking a ***, odds are it will be too large in a month. The foam inside breaks in. I wasted two helmets before I knew this.

As far as the gear goes, if it is not comfortable, you'll find a reason not to wear it. Its too easy to go into shops and see the discount rack, and force yourself to like something on it to save money. Especially when you've spent so much for a bike. Try to avoid this. An extra 100-500 dollars will not be remembered a year from now, but you'll still have the crappy jacket/helmet/boots that almost fit.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Sorry, not enough information to say whether the 650 is a good beginner bike for you. I will agree with everyone's advice about taking the MSF class.

Factors involved with the decision to go with a 650 as your first bike:

Your physical strength and size. Can you man handle the bike with ease? You could find yourself in situations where you have stopped and leaned the bike over a little too far for a person without strength to hold it up. A smaller bike will be lighter and easier to handle.

How much experience do you have with two wheels? Are you an avid cyclist? Ride street and mountain bikes? Extensive bicycling experience translates over to motorcycling pretty well.

Do you have very good focus and concentration? Motorcycling is not an activity for those with short attention spans.

I would definitely recommend starting on a cheap used bike, but I don't mind you buying new because someone has to for there to end up being used bikes for others to purchase.

Good luck and have fun.
I am glad I am not the only person who noticed this. I thought my years of street and mountain biking helped me out but no one actually confirmed this. As for the strength part, While I agree with this, raw man-handling power only ever really matters in my opinion in cases like where you are moving a stopped or downed bike but strength helps for sure in these rare cases. Watch how dealerships do when they move them out of tight spaces, that may be another instance to need strength. Maybe I am not understanding what you mean but very little strength is actually needed to get the bike to do what you want once you get moving. Your other points are really good as well.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I would buy gear that is comfortable, and also somethign you'll really wear.....not things, you "should" wear. Buy a helmet one size smaller thna you think you should. If its comfortable in the shop when your looking a ***, odds are it will be too large in a month. The foam inside breaks in. I wasted two helmets before I knew this.

As far as the gear goes, if it is not comfortable, you'll find a reason not to wear it. Its too easy to go into shops and see the discount rack, and force yourself to like something on it to save money. Especially when you've spent so much for a bike. Try to avoid this. An extra 100-500 dollars will not be remembered a year from now, but you'll still have the crappy jacket/helmet/boots that almost fit.
Please buy some riding pants at the least. I have been down enough times to know that they matter. ~$80 for armored kevlar reinforced jeans are worth it imo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, the 650R is not my dream bike so I am not looking to keep it forever, i want to ride it for 2-3 years then upgrade to a VMAX (I'm not hating on kawi, don't murder me please)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Also, the 650R is not my dream bike so I am not looking to keep it forever, i want to ride it for 2-3 years then upgrade to a VMAX (I'm not hating on kawi, don't murder me please)
Wow zero0650R - a 650 as a beginners bike, then a monster power hound like the VMAX - those are definitely two different bikes. VMAX is the dominator of the traffic light drag race.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts