RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Baxter 
#1 ·
I'm new here and I am happy to have found your forum...

I picked up an '07 650R from a buddy who needed fast cash. He bought it for his son who just wasn't into it. On the ride home, the odometer rolled over to 2,800 miles. He kept it garaged and it runs great. I had ridden it a handful of times over the past couple of years just to help rotate the air in the tires. Although it's a clean bike I would like to put a little money into it as it is stock.

I got good coverage through Farmers Insurance and put it in the garage. Also, I have just ordered the service manual from amazon. I did read a post about alarms vs. fork locks and not sure where to pick up fork locks online.

I am used to bigger bikes so I'm thinking that is why this bike feels unstable to me. If anyone has any input about getting a better ride out of it I would appreciate it.

So, I am going to have the oil changed and probably have new tires put on. Is there a tire that you recommend for highway AND twistys? I know this is a race bike but I see a lot of commuters on them. Should I get a power commander and a slip exhaust? As far as the power commander, I am mostly concerned about the front end coming up and thought it could be mapped out better. I would also like better shock absorption. New levers and foot pegs too. I don't like searching for them so much and I like longer rides too so I need something with more support that are easier to find.

Now for the fun stuff. What kind of accessories do you recommend? I have seen dark smoke screens that I like but I really don't know what's nice for this bike. I see alot of after market stuff out there and I'm anxious to get moving. Sorry for the novel but thanks in advance for any feedback

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the bike.

- No need to get an alarm. No one wants to steal a 2007 650r. Just get a good disc lock for your peace of mind.
- Just keep on riding the bike and it will feel fine once you get used to it.
- Tires, levers, foot pegs and other accessories are all a matter of personal choice. Do a search on this forum on specific items to get some great ideas.
- You don't have to be concerned about the front end coming up. Just ride!
- No need for power commander.

Enjoy it!

#5 ·
Not sure honestly who thinks the 650R is a race bike.....but yes there are a lot of daily commuters on the 650R, I think it is made for that purpose. I have Pilot 4's on mine, and think it is a great tire for daily commuting and weekend twisty action, also it is superb in rainy conditions.

As for security, it has already been said by @ebinho, but he is right. You're bike, even though you love it (as I love mine) is not a bike thieves are going to steal. That does not mean leave the keys in the bike all day or such, but I do not use any security on my 2015. I honestly feel if you are going to steal my bike, good riddens, I will pay my deductible and get a new bike, and since most security devices are the same as my deductible. It is a wash.

I cant comment on slipons, I think after 2012 Kawai went with full exhaust so I still have stock on mine. Though I did have a slipon on my CBR and it did make a performance upgrade. Dropped the weight significant so if You can do a slip on, go for it.....takes about 20 mins of labor that you can easily do yourself.

#6 ·
Not sure honestly who thinks the 650R is a race bike......
The guys that race them? There are several threads on here regarding the 650 twin race class

#10 ·
I'm new here and I am happy to have found your forum...

I picked up an '07 650R from a buddy...
Welcome and congrats on the bike!

... So, I am going to have the oil changed and probably have new tires put on. Is there a tire that you recommend for highway AND twistys? I know this is a race bike but I see a lot of commuters on them. Should I get a power commander and a slip exhaust? As far as the power commander, I am mostly concerned about the front end coming up and thought it could be mapped out better. I would also like better shock absorption. New levers and foot pegs too. I don't like searching for them so much and I like longer rides too so I need something with more support that are easier to find.

Now for the fun stuff. What kind of accessories do you recommend? I have seen dark smoke screens that I like but I really don't know what's nice for this bike. I see alot of after market stuff out there and I'm anxious to get moving. Sorry for the novel but thanks in advance for any feedback
The bike is more of a sport-touring bike; the riding position is way too upright to fall in to the sport category. (Though you can have serious fun on this bike at the track.)

Tire-wise I've been using the Dunlop Q3. It's pretty sticky, works great on track and in the twisties, but sucks in the cold. (I've got videos of the 650 on track and also my crash, which was due to the tire, on my YouTube page.) My next tire on the 650 is going to be a Bridgestone S21. I've got it on my ZX6R and it's lasted significantly longer than the Q3 ever did on the 650. Typically I get 2500-3000 miles out of a Q3 (YMMV) I've got about 4500 miles on the S21 and there's still plenty of life left in it. And trust me, the ZX6R is way harder on the tires than the 650.

Do your homework on the tires and find out which tire works best for your riding conditions. I found out the Q3 was rated for a minimum temperature(s) of 60F air and 60F tarmac. Anything below that and the tire starts losing grip. (I crashed on it with air and tarmac temps of 48F/48F and can vouch for that it was like riding on ice at those temps.)

As for the windscreen, I'd look at a clear Zero Gravity double bubble. When you're in full tuck going down the back straight you'll appreciate the clear screen. I've got the light smoked color and would trade it in a second for the clear. (It's just too dark when you combine the light smoke and a tinted visor.)

Keep something in mind with the aftermarket parts. They're for you only. You'll never get your money out of them should you sell the bike because when it's all said and done you'll still have an '07 650. Personally I was looking to upgrade my 2012 650 for the track and quickly came to the conclusion that I should save that money and buy a sportbike. The cost of a PC, exhaust, and new front suspension made for a significant down payment on my ZX6R. Now my 650 has a garage buddy!!!

I did keep the 650 because I found that it's very comfy on long rides. My bike is pretty much stock and for a guy who has had two spinal surgeries and a complete knee reconstruction I find I can do 1000 miles on the thing in a day and be ready to ride the next. (Again, YMMV.)

:2cents:

#11 ·
Congrats on the new bike. Let’s keep the 07's running.

You asked about mods. I tour a lot nowadays. My first mod was a Zero Gravity tall double bubble. I keep wondering whether I should have bought a ZG touring windshield, but this has worked out for me. Michelin Pilot Road tires are great all around tires, I'm on my second set. They are grippy in the rain, great on the interstates all day, and were confidence inspiring at the Tail of the Dragon. My best cheap mod was a Kuryakin small throttle boss. My best expensive mod was a new suspension, Race Tech springs and emulators in front and a Penske double clicker in back. The suspension change truly will transform this bike. For long distances, I can recommend a Scottoiler e-system for chain maintenance. I don't know whether I'd buy a gear indicator again.

You mentioned longer distances. For luggage, I have Kriega for a tailbag system, particularly the US 40 version, and Ortlieb low profile saddle bags. Both have been proven waterproof (4 hours in the rain at interstate speed).

And if you may travel north or into the mountains, you will appreciate heated grips. Make certain to install the switch in an easy to reach spot on the left side so you can turn them on while moving.

I've probably run on enough, but I'd do most of that stuff over on a stock bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.