RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I quit riding for 14 years of so and a lot has changed. Last bike was a Kawasaki Eliminator KZ1000, sold in 1998.

I just bought a used Mean Streak, 2002, with Vance & Hines Longshots. Has Power Commander on it as well, but I need to work on that.

Guy I bought it from said he disconnected it because it started to cut out on him for a couple of seconds. I saw the post he sent to Power Commander, they think there is a short. I presume they mean there is an open and I would think the wire splice for the power is suspect. I am taking it apart to check it out today. Bike runs strong without the Power Commander hooked up, but has a tendency to surge at about 2000 RPM. I suspect that not having any baffles in the pipes may be part of the reason.

My Longshots do not have any baffles in them, nor are there any tips on them or screw holes to hold tips or baffles in.

What can I do to install some baffles? I thought they originally came with baffles, but without a screw to hold them in, I wonder if they came that way.

I don't want it real quiet, but right now if is pretty loud and from what I understand, some back pressure in the exhaust is a good thing and increases low end torque.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hogboss

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
You may have a bad connection at the Throttle Position sensor..Nortorious for that..The conection needs to be soldered instead of the clamping splicer.

I've seen baffles on Ebay. I have Bigshots and it looks like those are held in by a screw on the bottom of the tube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it apart, was planning on soldering the connection to the throttle sensor. I did not find the clamping splicer, instead someone had cut the yellow lead for the throttle sensor and used an orange wire connector (like they use in household lamps, etc, ) to hold the three wires together. I soldered it. Will test it next week.

I have seen enough problems with clamping spicers to not ever install them.

Thanks, Hale

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You may have a bad connection at the Throttle Position sensor..Nortorious for that..The conection needs to be soldered instead of the clamping splicer.

I've seen baffles on Ebay. I have Bigshots and it looks like those are held in by a screw on the bottom of the tube.
I agree with Rasmith. It's easy, make sure you use a punch & make a starter place
or the drill will wanna walk all over the place on ya...

·
Registered
474 Posts
What map is loaded into the PCIII ?

I also have a 1500MS with V&H Longshots and a PCIII (and Chuckster air intake). My Longshots have the V&H Quiet Baffles in them. The engine runs better with them in and the sound is good. Not too quiet, certainly not too loud, really nice tone both idling and cruising.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some long baffles, they are for Cobra Hot Rod Speedster, about 19" long, inside diameter is still wide open and about 1 3/4". I bought 2 of them from Dennis Kirk, https://www.denniskirk.com/4403616.sku?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse.

They slip right in and use the original mounting holes. Took some of the popping off, probably okay for most people. I ordered some fiberglass packing and will remove these and put the fiberglass around the reduced section. Should be a little quieter yet.

I reprogrammed the Power Commander after soldering the connection. Some one had used a plastic wire nut, like you use for lamps, to hold the wires together. fianlly got a helmet that fits, third one I bought, one 2XL and two 3XLs. My exwife called me a fathead, guess she was right. At any rate, try it out tomorrow.

Power Commander map used was 205-017. I also installed the Accelerator Pump feature for the Power Commander. I think I still have a miss at 2,000 to 3,000 RPM, but won't know till I ride the bike.

Does anyone know what running the older version of firmware will do? Mine is older (version 1.0.0.16) and evidently requires the optional programmer. I may wait till winter and send it to Power Commander to let them update it.

Hogboss

wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think you just update the firmware with the USB cable and the menu commands. I'm pretty sure I did when I got mine last year.

The -017 map is pretty damn rich. Too rich in my opinion but if you're happy with it stay with it. I've also run the -019 and -020 maps with good success with the Longshots. I also have a couple of maps from Thunder Mfg that seem to work well too.

By the way, the surging around 2K rpm you mentioned is pretty common with the stock ECU map. Mine did it (before the PCIII) and I know several others have reported it too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motor cut out on way to work.

New helmet showed up yesterday so I rode the bike to work today. Good throttle response, not to loud with just the baffles installed. Seems like the low speed engine power while it is in gear was a lot better than it was when I rode it home (180 miles) 2 weeks ago.

About 5 miles in, engine lost some power, almost like it went to one cylinder. Kept running. Red FI light came on immediately. After about 1/2 a mile, light went off and power came back....

I guess the PC will get a trip to Vegas.

Hogboss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts