RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just looking for suggestions on increasing acceleration quite significantly through sprocket changes. I currently have the stock ones which i think might be 15teeth front 41 teeth rear. Anyhow i feel my bike lags to much on the lower range of any gear above 1st. Was just wondering on some suggestions/experience people hae with different combos :)

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
Lower your expectations. :)

First you should be making sure that the bike is running like it should.
Might help the discussion here to tell us exactly which model you have AND if it has been modified in any way.

I can't imagine anybody with a 1K I-4 sport-type bike complaining that he doesn't have enough acceleration so my comments might be a little biased.

A quick and fairly inexpensive test would be do drop one tooth on the front sprocket. If your chain isn't worn a lot you should be able to do that with the existing chain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lower your expectations. :)

First you should be making sure that the bike is running like it should.
Might help the discussion here to tell us exactly which model you have AND if it has been modified in any way.

I can't imagine anybody with a 1K I-4 sport-type bike complaining that he doesn't have enough acceleration so my comments might be a little biased.

A quick and fairly inexpensive test would be do drop one tooth on the front sprocket. If your chain isn't worn a lot you should be able to do that with the existing chain.

Haha sozz its a 2011 ninja 1000, it is pretty much stock in every way, i am only just starting the changes on it but as far as the spricket goes i am looking to get the bike to a point the top end pops up relatively easy on gears other than just 1st and 2nd. That may sound stupid and not safe but thats the kind of acceleration i am looking for, not necessarily for just wheelies but more just having that kind of power haha

Reading everything i just wrote actually sounds so stupid haha but i just want to see kind of results i can get haha

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Gobs of discussions have already been had on sprockets here at RF. Have you read them?

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Truth is these bikes are not blessed with top end power in stock form. Power wheelies are work in anything but first...lol

You can for sure gear it down, but I think that will get old real quick. It's the least expensive change you can make with the most dramatic results for sure.

I would like to offer up another suggestion though if you don't mind:

These bikes are putting down about 120 hp stock. Good, but nothing amazing for a 1,000cc street bike.

Ivan has done an ECU reflash for these bikes, that along with a Power Commander adds 10 Hp to the bike with the stock exhaust pipe in place. You can get another 10+ hp with an aftermarket exhaust system. Now more power is always fun, and it's a great up top change in power for sure. The cool thing is though it makes the throttle much smoother, and gets rid of the restrictions in the lower gears which kill the bikes ability to power wheelie, it also removes the top speed limiter, turns the fan on sooner so the engine runs cooler, and several other small things that let the bike run the way God intended.

You can do the ecu reflash first as it's a bit cheaper, and then add the pipe later.

This route is not as cheap sprockets for sure, but you get the best of all worlds. Higher top speed, power wheelies in second better than what it is doing in first now, the throttle is more crisp, the bike runs cooler, and until you add a pipe it looks stone stock so you can surprise some people.

Just so you know I have some idea of what I am talking about, this is me on my stone stock (save tires) 2011 N1K working hard to wheelie all I can (because I am an idiot...lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7F1GYYoV6Y

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
i am looking to get the bike to a point the top end pops up relatively easy on gears other than just 1st and 2nd.
Is your medical insurance paid up ?
A LOT of wanna-be stunters end up spending some time in the hospital.
Maybe we should talk about life insurance too.

AND......lowering your final drive ratio too much will make 1st and maybe even 2nd gears unusable for anything but flipping the bike over on top of you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts