RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been reading, researching, and contemplating going to new fork springs for my 7S. But everyone who has done it seems to have the ZR-7. If I'm wrong let me know, please! I wondering if this will improve my frontend enough to be worth my while. I've read all the praise that it does for the 7 and I'm hoping someone's done it for the 7S. In my opinion it could use it. Are the OEM springs actually different on the various versions? I guess that's another question.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I seem to remember reading in a magazine article that the 2001 ZR-7S got stiffer springs, but I can't be sure. In my opinion, the stock fork springs on my 2001 S are fine. But that's all preference and has to do with riding styles (and your size/weight, etc). I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs, rarely ride two-up, do mostly highway cruising (commuting to work), so I don't have a problem with the stock front end. When I do go into the twisties, I'm still way far away from the performance limits of the existing setup, so the forks don't bother me.

kelly

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi Lostdawg,

The ZR-7 front suspension feels like a pogostick. The ZR-7S is indeed different. The factory did change the springs as well as other parts to make the ZR-7S feel much better.

I'm with Kelly, my weight and height are exactly the same, and the front suspension is fine for me. I only ride the twisties. The roads I ride on are kind of bumpy in places so I'm glad the suspension can absorb them.

I did notice an overall improvement in handling when I adjusted my rear shock. I adjusted the preload and damping. I set the preload to 5 (two away from the stiffest) and the damping to 4 (strongest damping).

I have read mix reviews regarding adding a spacer, and never have I heard it being done on a 7S.

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, all.

I think I'll try playing with the rear again. I've had the settings (preload 6, rebound 3) since June, guess I'll try'em maxed, again. FWIW, I'm about 195 lbs w/ gear on. Kelly, I do remember someone on the old board saying the ZR-7S springs were better, maybe it was Andy :). I'll go searching through the mags. The 01 service manual doesn't give a part #, but I'll give my shop a call this week and see if there's different #'s for the 00 and 01.

As for the PVC, I'm not to big on the idea. (I've given it a lot of thought, though.) I would rather put in a new spring or live with it. My choice and no offence intended. Value the input. People do the same to their Jeeps, but for added height. I just don't feel comfortable with the physics involved, material reliability, etc., especially on my only front wheel. Even if the steel spacer was lengthend (what the PVC piece is actually doing), that would just put more load on the spring at the start. Not the correct solution, I think. But it does work...

So I'll max the back shock, though I don't think that will improve the wandering, diving front. If I'm still not happy, I'll change to 15 weight in the forks. Then I guess we'll try the springs as a last resort depending on the shop info I get.

Only other thing would be tire pressure and I check that often.

I've gotten to where I can scratch pegs occasionally :cool:, so I'm looking for more stability. That advanced rider course was good time well spent. Though I know scraping pegs wasn't their intention :D .

Pete

·
Registered
988 Posts
There's a rider review that Jarel has just put on the site which says (in German) that the 7s has upgraded fork springs compared with the 7.

Alternatively, click on this ...
http://www.berlinonline.de/wissen/berliner_zeitung/archiv/2001/0324/sonderbeilagen/0102/index.html

The article basically says that the worst aspect of the 7 was fork springs that were too weak, and which frequently meant the forks bottomed out over bumps or when riding two-up. Guess I don't ride as agressively on my 7 as those guys, since I haven't (yet) had that problem. But I will probably get progressives installed by my local dealer anyway since it will only cost about $US100 for the whole job.

Just need to catch my wife at a weak moment first.
:laugh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting translation on some of the words on that page. I did find one print article on the 7S last night that just said the front was fine, nothing more. Did say rejet ASAP, though.

I just got off the phone with the parts department here, he said there are indeed two different part numbers for the fork springs from 00 to 01. Didn't ask the price, but I imagine they aren't cheaper than the progressive springs from the two aftermarket companies. He couldnt tell me from the part number what the difference was. Only way is two take them out and compare side by side.

Pete,
the quandry continues.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I installed forks spring from Progressive ($75, not including install) and changed the fork oil to 15 wt about 2 months ago and it made a huge difference in handling. Much less fork dive during stops, better handling in corners, and no increased harshness over bumps (in fact it seams better). For reference, I weigh 195 lbs and I ride a combination of mountain twisties and commuting.

For me this change make the bike much more enjoyable to ride and I feel more confident.:cool:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I installed forks spring from an automotive junk yard ($1.25, not including install). Haven't taken it out for a test drive yet but it should be better. :D

Andy

·
Registered
988 Posts
Oh no ! How're we going to stop him ?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
I took it out for a test ride with my new fork spring today... You know, I didn't really like the fairing and front fender anyway. :D

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chuck, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. The twisties handling and diving were what I was hoping it would improve. Looks like that's my next mod then. Oh credit card, come on over here.

Andy, must be a pain trying to clean all the bugs you squish with that neat little mod:laugh:

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts