RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, so I am 31; started a bit late (hope its not too late haha) for the longest wanted a bike, but always been scared. Anyhow, I got a dual sport 250 klx 250. My next bike might be a 600 ninja or a Z series. Seems I love this sport, but need to learn. Just been riding around my neighborhood and getting the feel of traffic with my bike. never been on a bike or even road mountain bikes haha!

Anyhow, Im learning offroad and onroad, so hope I made the right decision. The biggest deal for me is safety. Any tips and suggestions would be great!!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I just answered your note on the other forum and think learning offroad is a great way to start. Good bike to learn on and take your endorsement test. Good luck & welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Welcome. I have a klx250s in my stable. Fun light bike. Have you taken the MSF course yet? If not, take it before you pick up bad habits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
appreciate it all!! I am definitely going to take the MSF course. im hoping next month. Going to practice offroad first and clutch control.

One thing I am nervous about it front brake. Is it pretty hard to lock up your front brake going 30 40 MPH? My KLX250 does not have ABS so its making me a little nervous braking downhill

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
appreciate it all!! I am definitely going to take the MSF course. im hoping next month. Going to practice offroad first and clutch control.

One thing I am nervous about it front brake. Is it pretty hard to lock up your front brake going 30 40 MPH? My KLX250 does not have ABS so its making me a little nervous braking downhill
Hardest thing (for me) to master but you must. 80+% of your STREET braking comes from the front brake. You HAVE to be able to use it effectively to achieve any kind of decent braking distances. There are tons of videos and books out there and they'll work on it in your classes as well. This is one of those things where dirt riding (for me) works against you. Braking on loose dirt surface is much more balanced between front and rear brake. And you learn that when you wash out the front end you're down. It can make you afraid to really apply the front brake on pavement -or- at least hesitant. Both of these tendencies will get you in trouble on the street.

So get the training and practice, practice, practice. Build this skill into to your reflexive memory and you will reap the benefits down the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I started on a 250 at over 50 years old. You're still a kid at 31, lol. I can relate to the concerns about the front brake. As a kid, I went end over end on a bicycle by grabbing too much front brake. I got into the habit of only using the rear after that. The thing is, rear brake only won't stop you fast on your motorcycle. If you need to stop fast, you're probably going to lock it and slide. What you need to do is get to know your front brake so you're comfortable using it. Practice is key. Start out grabbing a little, then work your way up to harder stops. Before you know it, you'll have it down. You can stop a lot faster than you probably think without locking the front or lifting the rear. One thing that helps a lot is to practice squeezing the lever more gradually rather than just trying to ram it all at once. It's hard for me to explain, but the more you practice, the more you'll get a feel for it, and the quicker you'll be able to stop without incident.

tldr; Practice, practice, then practice some more... (best done BEFORE a car pulls out in front of you)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts