RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about as new of a rider as they come, I don't have a bike yet, but I'm saving up the money for it. I'm looking around at gear, and I wanted some experienced rider's opinions on jackets. What is a good jacket for a starter? I'd like textile, something vented. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I like leather for abrasion resistance, but textile can be more flexible as far as the whether conditions they can handle. I find a TON of them on Craigslist for about half the cost of new, most are in really good condition, I suspect because they weren't worn much because they were the wrong size or fit the individual wrong, hint, hint.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought this:

Xelement Men's Black Mesh Padded with Level-3 Advanced Armored Motorcycle Jacket

I've ordered gloves, leather jackets, etc. from this company; fast (usually free) shipping. This jacket is mesh with a zip out liner, padded and CE armor. It's comfortable and has good ventilation even in the Alabama heat right now. The liner should make it a good 3-season jacket. You can read my review dated 13 July 2012 at the link. For the money, it simply cannot be beat... been wearing it with every ride since I got it. They have a sizing chart as well that for me was pretty accurate... all covered in my review.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
What size do you wear? I have some slightly used jackets that I am about to post a real discounted pricing. Too many jackets in the closet.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
IMHO, buy the best gear you can afford, both for protection and because better gear will allow you to ride more comfortably in colder/hotter/wetter conditions, which will make you a better rider. My first few bikes cost less than the gear I was wearing. webBikeWorld has many reviews. Discounters with awesome reps like Motorcycle Gear.com (formerly NewEnough) http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ and MotorcycleCloseouts.com http:///www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ are your friends.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So I'm about as new of a rider as they come, I don't have a bike yet, but I'm saving up the money for it. I'm looking around at gear, and I wanted some experienced rider's opinions on jackets. What is a good jacket for a starter? I'd like textile, something vented. Thoughts?
I got a scorcher mesh jacket from compacc.com . It comes with a rain proof liner and actually is 100% waterproof (if you don't count water getting thru the front zipper an running down the inside flap onto my jeans. The day I got caught in the rain, it was a SERIOUS downpour and I had to ride 45 minutes home in it. I'm talking traffic slowed to 20mph and some cars pulled off. When I got home, my shirt had a little water in a stripe where the liner flap ended. Not bad at all. I wear it every day it has good airflow. Shadow Scorcher Mesh Jackets - Competition Accessories . It's better than the first gear mesh I got a couple years ago, but i'm sure they've improved their offering in the mean time.

Oh and sizes vary from one manu to the other, so you gotta try them on. A large in one brand is an XL in the next, etc.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just bought this:

Xelement Men's Black Mesh Padded with Level-3 Advanced Armored Motorcycle Jacket

I've ordered gloves, leather jackets, etc. from this company; fast (usually free) shipping. This jacket is mesh with a zip out liner, padded and CE armor. It's comfortable and has good ventilation even in the Alabama heat right now. The liner should make it a good 3-season jacket. You can read my review dated 13 July 2012 at the link. For the money, it simply cannot be beat... been wearing it with every ride since I got it. They have a sizing chart as well that for me was pretty accurate... all covered in my review.
I just ordered this jacket, found a 10% off coupon code so came to 70$ shipped, not bad I hope its good. Do you still like yours, is it holding up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts