RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Mike and i just bought me a 2003 Kawasaki Zr7s and i like it so far. It runs fine and doesnt wiggle while ridding, and registation and insurance wouldnt be available if it wasnt safe so im satified i will be able to bring it back to its former glory. Just a real quick question though i want to do the maintenence and what not on it and need to know what oil and oil filter i should get for it and where i can get them? Also what custome features can i put on the bike as far as mirrors and body work. I was told that you cant get after market mirrors or parts for it by the Kawai dealer. Is that true or was he just trying to make a commision?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Hi Mike, I have s zr7s too.

Here's where you can get a copy of the service maintenance manual. ZR-7 and ZR-7S Maintenance Manual Backup | jadz
It's much more in depth vs the owners manual that should have come with the bike.
It will also give you an idea of what to check and at what mileage.

There is also a zr7 specific sub forum here where there's a lot of info you can get by reading too. Kawasaki ZR-7

As for mirrors for the 7s, they are bolted into the fairing and I've not seen replacement ones before, but they might be made. Most folks keep the stock mirrors and use a mirror extender (just google zr7s mirror extender)

As for the oil, 10w40 is recommended and filters can be any of the following:
Oil Filter Options:
height 2.205 OD 3.028 ID 0.772
• Fram -A/C CH6012
• NAPA 4941
• Purolator ML16812
• Wix 24941
• K&N KN-401
• Or factory / dealer one.

You can get the oil anywhere than sells it. Even Walmart. Just make sure it has a motorcycle rating.
Here's an example of the threads on oil etc. http://www.riderforums.com/zr-7-maintenance/75334-oil.html

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Oh and as for aftermarket parts, that's not quite true. There are things you can add to the bike that didn't originally come with it. Lights, body parts etc. They are sometimes harder to find now as the bike ages and has been discontinued though.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Welcome!!

"Motorcycle rating" is rather subjective, do some google searching on using automotive oil in your motorcycle. I've never used motorcycle specific oil, holy expensive batman. Run my last to bikes to over 100k, I expect to do more on my Ninja 650R. My girlfriend Karla has a ZR7, we run Shell Rotella T 15w40 in it. Get the oil at Walmart, the filter from NAPA.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Rotella T does have a motorcycle rating... it just isn't advertised as motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was surprised that I found my oil filter at walmart. I didn't expect that. Plugs are available at auto parts stores and I would bet that you can find most of the bulbs there too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts