RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Mason. I'm a brand new rider. I was born and raised in NYC where life experience is about nil. The only thing I new how to do as a kid growing up is play in the park and get into trouble at school. I always had a love for the military and as soon as I turned 17, I (and my mother) signed my life away. I spent my Army career in Fort Bragg with the 82nd Airborne Division. I served a tour of duty in Iraq and it sure was life changing, but not as life changing as the sight of my barracks parking lot when we all got back from deployment.

Here we are, 19 and 20 year olds with 15-25 thousand dollars saved up from a 12 month deployment and an uncontrollable desire to spend it. I never seen so many Camaros, Challengers, F-150's and tuned up Civics in my life, but the one thing that caught my eye were the shiny new Motorcycles that started popping up. It didn't take long for me to get the bug and my last year of my contract was spent pinching every penny I could to be able to buy my first bike. I talked to countless people about the issue. I heard everything from "don't start bigger then a 250, you'll die" to "Bro, you can start on a liter bike if you want, just be easy on the gas." It was a really wide pool of opinions and decided that I'll make my decision after I took my MSF course.

I got my endorsement in November and bought all my riding gear first and waited until I got to Florida to by my bike. I'm currently living in Orlando and I'm attending MMI. I became completely infatuated with these two wheeled machines and wanted to spend my days fixing them, so off to school I went.

Well the time came and I found a dealership and well. . . there she was. A beautiful blue 2007 Ninja 650 with only 6000 miles on it. I fell in love before I even sat on her and now she's mine. My goodness I couldn't have bought a better motorcycle. I dropped her my third day unfortunately due to someone running a stop sign in a parking lot, forgot to pull in my clutch and the bike jerked hard enough for me to just drop it. Only thing hurt was my ego but I picked her up and went right about my day and haven't looked back since. Its been 3 weeks since I bought her and my odometer reads 7014. . . Yep she's getting used a tad bit.

I love riding, I love the riding community and I hope to learn more from everyone here. Hopefully I didn't totally bore you all to death.

·
Registered
177 Posts
:welcome: I'm also new to this group, but started riding in the late 60s.

The Ninja 650 is a great choice for your first ride. If you are ever planning to ride in the NC mountains,
PM and will be happy to show you some twisties.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry to hear about a cager running out in front of you....glad that your ego was the only thing to suffer. That's a great bike you got there.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
:welcome:
You made a great choice in bike and also a good choice to go to school after your military service.

I think the reason there is such a wide variety in responses to your question on the "right" bike is because each person is different. Probably, very different bikes could have been the "right" bike...it's more about the rider...A good and thoughtful rider will adjust to the bike :)

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I owned a '07 Blue Ninja 650. Great motorcycle. It was my second sport bike after the Ninja 250 and 25 years of riding experience on standards and cruisers.
I used to live in Oviedo and went to school at UCF. Enjoy your bike. Here is a photo of mine to show you some of the options you can choose if you decide to travel with the bike.

Ninja with GIVI bags.JPG

·
Registered
346 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, Ryan, from Dallas Texas. Just got out of the army, stationed at Ft Bliss, El Paso, Texas. Combat Medics! Anyways.... Ive been riding dirt bikes since I was 10 and never had the thought of getting sport bike till last year for some reason. Last September I bought a 2013 Ninja 650 and fell in love. Nothing like riding a motorcycle. Such a different feeling than in my truck. I recently moved back to Dallas this year around January and Im looking for people to ride with and events.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts