RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 03 z1000 about a month ago. Look forward to learning through reading all of the posts here. Especially ones in regards to the Gen 1 Zeds.

I am located in central Florida.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 2004 with 50,000 miles. It still runs good.I would change the oil using Mobil1 motorcycle racing oil and either a Kawasaki filter or a bosch 3300, K $ N filters suck, their air filters as well, Sprint makes a high quality filter or stay with stock but stay away from K & N, they are Chinese junk. I would check the compression, check the valve clearances, get a full after market exhaust, a PCIII, have a good dynojet tuner tune the PCIII. The rear shock is not to bad the front forks suck. Race Tech has some good fork springs and valves for your weight. Have a pro install them if you are not really good at that. I have about 131 HP at the rear wheel at 4200 feet above sea level, you should get about 10% more at sea level. Because of the gearing you will beat most newer moto's to 100 MPH if you can keep the front wheel down, I cannot as I'm an old fart, (74) but it's still fun. I forgot, (old age) check the chain and sprockets, I lost the front sprocket at about 38,000 miles and replaced the front and rear plus the chain. There are several, (4 I think) grease points on the rear suspension make sure to grease them, (zirk fittings) which are standard grease gun fittings. Pull the shifting linkage and rear brake pedal off and lubricate it with good grease. Check the tires for tread plus the manufacture date. It will be in a rectangular box on the tire with a format of 4317 or something. The first 2 numbers are the week the second two are the year of manufacture. If they are over 3 years replace your tires. Sitting on the moto lock the front brakes and rock the moto forward and back to make sure the front steering bearings are not intercoursed. It should turn from lock to lock very freely but not click when rocked fore and aft. Check the brake pads for thickness and change and bleed the front and rear brake fluid. There is probably more but I will post when it enters my old mind. moto 008.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts