RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MotoMacGyver
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kawi came with Dunlop D205's. I bought this bike on July 1st with 285 miles on it, and it currently reads 5300! Gee, ya think I like riding this thing?

Anyway, the stock tires have almost had it. Especially the front. It looks more conical than rounded. The rear isn't too far behind.

Anyway, I was thinking of Bridgestone BT020's as a replacement. I think some stock ZR's came with these, no? I know the BT010's and Metzeler ME Z3's will grip a whole lot better, but with the kind of mileage I'm putting on this thing, I need tires that last a little longer rather than ultimate grip.

The stock Dunlops have more than enough grip for me, and the local dealer said the BT020's are the same kind of high(er) mileage type tire, and probably the best buy for the buck in that class of tire.

I'm pretty sure I've decided on these. Just wanted to hear some feedback from others if they've replaced theirs yet or have any good or horror stories.

Emrah

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm on my fourth set of tires in 12,000 miles. After the D205s wore out I switched to Dunlop 207s. This gripped better but weren't anything special and they wore out really quickly. I wont get them again. I was going to go with the Michelin Pilot Sports but I decided to get the Bridgestone BT010s on the last switch. These tires are GREAT!!! Not only are they very sticky, but they have a more rounded profile so it is really easy to lean the bike into corners. I now scrape the pegs on a regular basis due to my confidence in these tires. They probably will wear out quicker than the BT020s but they are so good I dont care. And after 1000 miles they still look pretty good whereas the D207s would have looked worn already. I think it depends on what type of riding you are going to do though. If you are commuting or sport-touring then the BT020s would be best because they last longer and you dont need as much grip. If you want to ride the ZR-7 like a sportbike though I highly recommend the BT010s.

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
They do ok except they are a little squirrelly on rain grooved freeways. The Dunlops tracked the grooves better. The BT020's seem to float around on top of the grooves and never really seem to settle down. But it's not an "out of control" feeling. The warm up time on the Bridgestones is a little longer, and they are a few bucks less. I'm trying them for the mileage. If I get more miles out of these than the Dunlops, than I'll stay with them. If not, I'll go back or a combo of the 2 (Dunlop on the front and Bridgestone on the back).

·
3,609 Posts
Bridgestone

I'm in favor of the Bridgestone's. They come stock on all the new 01 and 02 7s's so I imagine Kawasaki thinks they're either a better tire, or they got a better deal on them. Either way I'm satisfied. I've put 1,500 miles on them, and no signs of wear or any problems.

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
When my originals were up for replacement I opted for Michelins.

I run a sticky Pilot Sport front and sports-touring Macadam rear.

Awesome in the wet and not to bad in the dry either.

Either way whatever you fit, you won't get their maximum potential unless you do the front forks. ( This has been covered in other posts ). Super sticky tyres will just tie the front end in knots unless you go the Hyperpro/Progressive upgrade.

:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
It's kinda funny that you mention fork twist. On a ride last week-end (the boring freeway section part) I remembered the fork braces that sold like hot cakes in the 70's. I was wondering how much of a difference one would've made that day when I was up to my neck in twisties. Some of the turns were the off speed turns that really come back on themselves and then go all the way back over the other direction. These are the real hard "S" turns that dreams (or maybe nightmares) are made of. I kinda think a brace woulda helped a bit (along with stiffer springs up front).

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Actually I was thinking of getting a fork brace coz they look cool on naked bikes, but then I'm kinda sad like that haha

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
Have you seen any for the ZR?

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
These guys seem to have a large selection and whilst they don't specifically mention the ZR-7 I guess with some research they must have sth to fit. If you look at their applications chart a small amount of part no's seem to fit a large selection of Kawasakis.

They even have rearsets etc as well. I know one of you guys in the states will have this stuff fitted by Xmas :)

http://www.spec2.com/clips.html#braces

·
West Coast Moderator
12,994 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures of their products. The wheel balancer sounds interesting too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts