RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
Picking up a 2011 Connie today. Essentially traded my Ninja for it. Not sure who got the better deal but I am content as I will have a nice fast tourer to go with my Tuono and R1 track bike. Bases covered.
I said crickets in the title because it seems this page does not receive much traffic. Not nearly as much as the Ninja one anyway. I suppose I will have to go over the the COG page.
Anyway, looking forward to some highspeed fun.
Cheers!

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Thats a good choice if you are doing a lot of high speed touring. We need to revive this group so we could get all of us together and lobby for 130mph speed limits.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Is there any effective difference in the 2011-2015 Connies? By effective, I don't mean improved seats, screens and foot pegs...things that can be farkled. I mean real differences in the bike that might justify choosing the 13 over the 11, or the 15 over the 13. No interest in used bikes. Trading for new and maybe considering the FJR instead for integrated RBW cruise, regular gas, and better maintenance...if I like the fit.

I've found a new 2011 for 9900, a 2013 for 11100, a 2014 for 13400, and then there are the 2015s for roughly half price times two.

I found the answer on Wikipedia. No diffs until 2015.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Yes, the 2015 came in candy green which makes it way, way better that others.

premium fuel? I sometimes buy it, or whatever else I dump in and its fine on all. Cost difference between 5 gal of reg vs premium 50 cents, total. On a long day, thats usually under a dollar, total.......? I sort of see it in a car where it is 2.00, per tank cost difference, but still, I waste more money than that. I could cover the lifetimes cost by managing my pocket change

seriously, no. 2015 saw some tiny seat, screen type changes. 2010-2014 are identical. Go for price if all else is equal. This is a better bike than the fjr as the high 6th gear is seriously something all motprcycles strive for and high speed, two up handling is better.Its like an fjr on steroids. Also, why use steroids unless you want to beat someone up. If 95mph is living large, the fjr is probably a better choice. If you enjoy figuring out which gear will give a higher top speed, the c14 is the choice. Its entire set up was never for the usa. It was meant to travel long distances at 130.

when you do that, the windshield makes sense as does the suspension, seat and riding position. Under that speed it can feel a little rough around the edges and harsh.

I do believe at lower speeds, the fjr might be better. Fjr appears way smaller. In reality, weight difference is about 25-30lbs.....not significant on 650lbs plus.

Fjr is an awesome machine, and no one ever went too wrong in owning one, but if you have some desolate, boring highways without good speed enforcement, theres only one choice.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I ride the speed limit 100% of the time. I'm looking for smooth, comfortable ride at legal speeds on highways and interstate for 300-700 miles per day. 6'3" 250 lbs. Never 2-up, always solo.

I like the silver wheels on the 2011.

Oh yeah, on the gas, I like to buy pure gas, no ethanol which is about 90% 87 octane availability.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I ride the speed limit 100% of the time. I'm looking for smooth, comfortable ride at legal speeds on highways and interstate for 300-700 miles per day. 6'3" 250 lbs. Never 2-up, always solo.

I like the silver wheels on the 2011.

Oh yeah, on the gas, I like to buy pure gas, no ethanol which is about 90% 87 octane availability.
You can run that anytime, no big deal and all, and the c 14 will burn it without protest. I forget some can still buy pure gas. Lol in Utah.

On a 700 mile day, at legal speeds,Id be on a Goldwing. Either that, or BMW's big bike. A modern goldwing handles way, way better than it has a right to. Well worth considering.

one advantage the c 14 has is resale value. Its not very good. Especially on an 08 or 09. The bikes are bullet proof and ive seen nice ones for 6k

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
There's way more in Utah than you think. Was it you I sent the map to, or was that my other forum?

Utah.jpg

Up- love to see some pics. I'm going to look at a 2011 right now. And I read on COG last night there is a new ECU flash coming in two weeks that is supposed to rock.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Good news! At least to me... dealer will swap titles with me on the 2011 Connie if I want it, so they are giving me a little help on TTL vs. KBB. Technically, I'm losing money on the bike, but I would be getting what I want. Question: the shop says the tires and all rubber bits like fuel and brake lines and gaskets should be good still since the bike has been in controlled environment on the floor the whole time. Almost five years. Any concerns? Never ridden and no fluids in the bike they said...

IMG_20150918_105019_edit.jpg

I got to ride a Victory CC and Indian Chieftan. More to come elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
There's way more in Utah than you think. Was it you I sent the map to, or was that my other forum?

View attachment 89362

Up- love to see some pics. I'm going to look at a 2011 right now. And I read on COG last night there is a new ECU flash coming in two weeks that is supposed to rock.
No, that wasn't me. Utah has room, but 90% of what's here is not worth seeing.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Good news! At least to me... dealer will swap titles with me on the 2011 Connie if I want it, so they are giving me a little help on TTL vs. KBB. Technically, I'm losing money on the bike, but I would be getting what I want. Question: the shop says the tires and all rubber bits like fuel and brake lines and gaskets should be good still since the bike has been in controlled environment on the floor the whole time. Almost five years. Any concerns? Never ridden and no fluids in the bike they said...

View attachment 89364

I got to ride a Victory CC and Indian Chieftan. More to come elsewhere.
Bike will be fine. No one has issues with a c14. And you have warranty. Ok, it might be nice if battery and tips sensor batteries were replaced. Otherwise, l can't ever pretend to be worried

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Hey Up, I saw a silver 2011 at the dealer today with a Seth Laam seat on it. The seat was fairly comfortable, but the vinyl was really smooth, so it was easy to slip around on it. I would prefer texture. I didn't snap a pic of that bike, but I will try to get it later.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I have a sargent on my c 14. I know the sargent was not awesome on a ninja 1000, but on this bike, its great.

Also, the c14 can use any zx14 seat if you trade the bolt on brackets between them. The ecu flash, yes.

Like the ninja 1000, this bike is restricted under 6000 rpm. I wish Ivan would do one, but doing something makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
So, I got to ride SISF's Bike on Saturday at the Wolf. OMG!

Apparently, this is the flash to have for $300 coming in about two weeks. I'm going to ride stock until the first service then get the flash if it's as good as they say. I also like the look of the V&H CS1 pipe, so that's what I'm going with.

My dealer had a Connie with a Sargent seat also. It looked really close the the Baldwin I have. I agree- the Sargent is a good Connie seat.

I haven't decided between the 2011, 2013 and a GREEN 2015. I guess I could get the 2011 painted Kawi green. Or ZX-14 30th Anniversary red/gray. Or ZX-10 30th graphics. I don't want boring black. I want it to look like a Kawasaki- TEAM GREEN!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, this thread got hijacked...
It amuses me really. It just means that there are just a few of us out there on this forum and any activity is met with "Hey I'm here!" Lol.
So I have only done @120mi on my Connie. 30 two up which is great bc I have not had my wife on a bike in over 3 years. So far I love it. Fast, comfy and handles pretty well for a fat lady.
The former owner took good care of it and being older and slower than me it was babied..But, it has a decent amount of dirt and corrosion which annoys me. Clearly he rode it year round, which is good, but the underside and various bits are just nasty. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to clean things up? I plan on a good bath of S100 but there is noticeable corrosion on things like center stand, brake fittings, exhaust etc. I plan on using fluid film when it's all done as I have been reading up on that. Any and all suggestions welcome.
I have never had a wrapped up bike like this. Everything seems so inaccessible and hidden. I guess the winter will be spent figuring out how to access things.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Not hijacked; just keeping it warm until you came back. We talked about 2011s and related stuff. I mean, it's been four days! C'MON MAN! I can't wait that long...AAAAHHHHH! Lol

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Sorry Up… can't help you on corrosion. I brought home my 2011 on Tuesday and I love it. Very satisfied.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts