RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

New Ninja EX500 rider could use assistance

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
To start off, I got heavily interested in riding, looked around shops, online, craigslist, and bought my beautiful
2006 Ninja EX500r

The baby had new wheels, new chain, only 3500 miles, it was beautiful.

Got all the gear going, MSF course, insurance. After everything said and done spent about $4,000. Not too bad for solid gear and bike.

Then I was going faster than I thought around a circle (they say on a motorcycle you're about the height of an SUV driver and speed is harder to judge, that's my excuse anyway). I laid it down pretty hard and am losing my mind at how much I just threw away only a few days after getting it.

SO what I'm looking for if anyone is a sweetheart enough to help is anyone that has owned a Ninja 500r that can help tell me what will work and not work for fixing her. I'm not looking for stock as of right now because I'm too tight on money so honestly it'll be a bit of a rat-bike but that's okay for now.

I'll post the photos down below

See less See more
#2 ·
here is an album of photos of the bike :(

specifically I know that

- all the gauges work
- NO engine or frame damage
- that cowling bracket is bent up and I took it off
- the right brake handle is gone

so overall I bought a new brake handle, some bullet turn signals, and some bar end mirrors. I know where to just get an OEM handlebar to screw in, but past that I have no idea what will work...

Tried to wire up the turn signals but it just didn't seem to be doing anything.

I appreciate everything if anyone tries to help here

Attachments

#6 ·
You were smart for buying and wearing gear. You didn't say much about yourself, so I'll take it the bike took the brunt of it. LOL sometimes we don't feel like that's best, but it is.

My suggestion for now is just fix it well enough to ride and not worry about trying to make it pretty (or ugly). You're still very early in your riding career and as you've experienced it can be a dicey game. Might post your general location so people have some idea where your at.

#7 ·
That looks like some pretty serious damage. Glad you weren't hurt, or at least didn't indicate you were hurt.

Do you have a service manual? Very helpful to have one. You can probably find a download version since that bike is not currently made.

This is why I try and convince new riders to get a used dual sport. They can take a beating and keep on going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.