RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and newish to the Z1000 I guess but not new to bikes. I am trying to find the current options for a 4 into 1 exhaust for a 2004 Z1000 / Gen 1?? Slim pickings on parts as the bike is old but I know there are some parts that cross over from the newer Z750R and the 2003 ZX9R header is an option but I am also wondering if anyone has tried a 2004/2005 ZX10R header on the 2004 Z1000 and if it fits. or does the 11-13 Z750R header fits the 2004 Z1000. Not really hungry for more power, I guess I shouldn't say that but I am more interested in the delivery and loosing weight. Thanks in advance for all the help :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Zx10 is completely different. 04 and up z750 are 4into1 not sure if there are any fitment issues with the rear shock tho since that's really the only difference between the 750 and 1000. Zx9 requires some cutting and welding around the shock mount to fit from what I've read. Anything can be made to work but the 750 route might be cheapest and easiest way to do it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For new aftermarket parts, as far as I know only Arata <--- (4>1, pricey, and only available as a full system) and Arrow <--- (4>2>1 and can be sourced in pieces eg. headers, mid pipe <--- 2 available 1 each for race tech or race pro silencers) are still making full systems. Buying the Arrow header and mid pipe would probably allow for the use of other makes of silencers, if you use the race tech mid pipe. Or there is the try to fit stock parts from other bike models approach. 750 headers have smaller diameter down tubes and silencer inlet/outlets <--- (z1k gets bigger very close to the head so the port exit size is actually the same, explaining the interchangeablity), so they won't flow as much at higher rpms, they may actually increase low end torque though, smaller pipes generally do that as long as you're not choking it to much, also Arrow used to put out a header for 04>06 and another for 07+ non "S" models for the 750 (the 07 "S" is the same as 05>06, fully naked 07 uses different engine castings, I'm not sure what the differences are as far as pipe bend radius <--- (I think I may have heard someone say they're different <--- (at the 1st bend leaving the head) or any of the other dimensions, seems to me like the collector sits further back <--- (longer header tubes maybe) so can't I say if they'd fit or not. If it were me I think I'd either go with new aftermarket Z1k parts or do the slash cut 180 degree flip and reweld that is necessary to fit the zx9r system on a gen 1 Z1k, at least that way I'd know for sure what I was getting into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For new aftermarket parts, as far as I know only Arata <--- (4>1, pricey, and only available as a full system) and Arrow <--- (4>2>1 and can be sourced in pieces eg. headers, mid pipe <--- 2 available 1 each for race tech or race pro silencers) are still making full systems. Buying the Arrow header and mid pipe would probably allow for the use of other makes of silencers, if you use the race tech mid pipe. Or there is the try to fit stock parts from other bike models approach. 750 headers have smaller diameter down tubes and silencer inlet/outlets <--- (z1k gets bigger very close to the head so the port exit size is actually the same, explaining the interchangeablity), so they won't flow as much at higher rpms, they may actually increase low end torque though, smaller pipes generally do that as long as you're not choking it to much, also Arrow used to put out a header for 04>06 and another for 07+ non "S" models for the 750 (the 07 "S" is the same as 05>06, fully naked 07 uses different engine castings, I'm not sure what the differences are as far as pipe bend radius <--- (I think I may have heard someone say they're different <--- (at the 1st bend leaving the head) or any of the other dimensions, seems to me like the collector sits further back <--- (longer header tubes maybe) so can't I say if they'd fit or not. If it were me I think I'd either go with new aftermarket Z1k parts or do the slash cut 180 degree flip and reweld that is necessary to fit the zx9r system on a gen 1 Z1k, at least that way I'd know for sure what I was getting into.
I have an 03 Zed, and have yet to see a full system for the gen 1 outside of Arrow. I have some Akra slip-ons that I found new in the box, and am hoping the Arrow header and mid-pipe would fit to them without modification. If anyone has confirmed this, please let me know. My stock header and the mid-pipe are ugly from the previous owner.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 2 Muzzy slip-ons which I will never use. Not a full exhaust but having searched to no avail for new non-Chinese full exhausts I find none. I currently have a Muzzy full 4 into one but they have gone out of business. If you are interested, (they are round stainless) e-mail me [email protected].

·
Registered
337 Posts
By the way I'm not trying to sell these mufflers they are free. Never been used. If you can use them I'll ship them to too two you. This offer is only to @003- 200? owners. All others can forget it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts