RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to this forum

Hey all
just a quick note about myself.

i bought an 08 bandit 1250 sea tourer (in canada) or K8 in 2008 and now have almost 18k on it .

To date have not had any negative issues with the bike and feel it is indeed one of the most all around bikes ever!

have been riding for years and owned a honda before this one.

i did not know of the Bandit prior to shopping for bikes back in 08 but was intrigued when i first saw it.

At the time my wife was always my passenger but within a month decided this is something she should try on her own so we purchased an 08 suzuki gs 500 f for her and my daughter whos also started riding in 09.

we have now a third bike in the stable for my wife a yamana fz6r so there will be no fighting over riding the once shared gs 500.

This bandit though has got me hooked and i ride with sport bike riders and cruisers alike and those riders also agree that the bandit is one of the best all around bikes.

i do not stunt the bike but have pulled several wheelies and have cornered the bike as if it was a GSXR 1000. and am impressed as hell.This bike is so versatile due to the torque and horsepower combination .

Will always hopefully have this bike in my stable no matter what others i will attain.

Will oneday own a Bennelli tornado Tre 1130 for those days I will let my hair down and utilize the bandit for all other occasions.

The touring side of the bandit has me blown away with the factory supplied and installed GIVI lugage.

Bandit out

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also a new member. I just picked up a 2002 B12 with 10K on it for $2700. I love it, I sold a 1983 Honda Silverwing 650I to get the B12................what a huge improvement!!! I've put more miles on the Bandit in the 2 weeks that I've had it than I did on the SW in the 2 years I owned it. What a fun bike!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cool - welcome all the new ones.

I've been a bit quiet lately - been changing jobs and moving towns ... and walking!!! The bloody road lice took my licence away - too many demerit points ....so I'm forced to beat the feet for three months - got caught last time at 136 klicks, which was lucky 'cause just after I passed the radar detector without knowing it was there, I opened the throttle ... Anyway ...

I've been riding since the early 1970s .. never been without a bike since my first BSA Bantam. (and before you ask, I'm over 50 years old).

Three years ago I replaced a Honda daily transport with a 650 Bandit (carbed and oil-cooled model). Loved it so much I replaced my BMW R100GS PD with the 09 1250s Bandit.

Done 23,700 klicks in 13 months on the 1250s ... Rapt with it .. great bike. I can't believe someone said it's not a great long distance tourer .. I've sat on it for 873 ks in one day (daylight to daylight) and loved every minute. Wanted to keep going, but I was outside the gate and my wife saw me.

Done 36,800 ks in 36 months on the commuter scooter 650 .. love them both.

Hope you all enjoy your bikes.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Cool - welcome all the new ones.

I've been a bit quiet lately - been changing jobs and moving towns ... and walking!!! The bloody road lice took my licence away - too many demerit points ....so I'm forced to beat the feet for three months.

I've been riding since the ealry 1970s .. never been without a bike since my first BSA Bantam. (and before you ask, I am over 50 years old).

Three years ago I replaced a Honda daily transport with a 650 Bandit (carbed and oil-cooled model). Loved it so much I replaced my BMW R100GS PD with the 09 1250s Bandit.

Done 23,700 clicks in 13 months on the 1250s ... Rapt with it .. great bike. I can't believe someone said it's not a great long distance tourer .. I've sat on it for 873 ks in one day (daylight to daylight) and loved every minute. Wanted to keep going, but I was outside the gate and my wife saw me.

Done 36,800 ks in 36 months on the commuter scooter 650 .. love them both.

Hope you all enjoy your bikes.
Stock seat?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Stock seat?
Yup. Stock bike. I want to put a Beowulf Carbon fibre pipe on it ...

http://beowulf-performance-products.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=9869&catid=148

I especially like the round end on it (old school) but haven't got the money right now. I'm spending it on moving and buying a new house - but once that's over I'll get one.

The only thing I've done to the 650, which is the naked version, is put a Skidmarx Bandit fly screen on it. I don't know if it makes any difference, except it lives up to its name - it's always covered in bugs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, it has been more than 24 hrs. since i registered and have posted a reply, but still cannot start a new thread. Is this normal or a problem? Any idea how to correct this? thanks
maurice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah well , a might as well stick in my peneth worth....

Ive just got into my grubby hands , a faired Bandit S 1200 1999 mk1 model.

I used to have a 1997 bandit 10 year ago , so i know how they perform.

As you might guess i talk funny , its coz im from over the water in the Uk , or England as i like to call it.

How do to you guys over seas , n ill be poppin in to see whats the crack (not the stuff you burn on a spoon) so ive been told..

Ill put up a pic of my bike when i figure out how.?

Ta for now

grumpygit

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to the forum. I'm from northern Ontario and own a '07 1250. So far I've put about 30,000 km on it. It has 2'' rise bars from a GSF 650, MRA touring screen, JMV lowers, Holeshot can and when I tour I add the Givi topbox and handguards from a V-Strom 650. I traded an ST 1300 (hated it) for it and I love it. With a few tweeks it has become one of the best bikes I've ever had. Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Morning I'm new too! I just went from a 2008 S50 (1st bike after learning on a KLR 250) with 21k when I was done with her to a 2009 1250. Incredible the power and smoothness difference! I wanted a sport tourer and this thing is insane for torque even off idle. But I of course I have a question already. I noticed the fork adjustments (flat screw driver holes) are not facing the same way. I assume this is normal depending on how they stopped in the forks during assembly? They seem to be set at the same height soooo. Thanks and hope to hit the 600 mile mark this weekend so I can change the oil to conventional one more time and then go to synthetic on the next oil change after that! :headbang:

·
Registered
54 Posts
It doesn't matter which way the slots in the fork adjusters are facing, as long as they are level. You should be able to judge this from the rings around the adjusters.

If you are not sure, take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. Otherwise you'll find out the hard way that your fork settings are wrong - it will flick out and spit you off in a corner ...

Have fun on your Bandit

·
Registered
2 Posts
It doesn't matter which way the slots in the fork adjusters are facing, as long as they are level. You should be able to judge this from the rings around the adjusters.

If you are not sure, take it to a shop that knows what they are doing. Otherwise you'll find out the hard way that your fork settings are wrong - it will flick out and spit you off in a corner ...

Have fun on your Bandit
Thanks for the confirmation! As mentioned they did seem level. Already put 300 miles on her with no issues in corners sooo no worries. I'm still looking for the best way to adjust the chain seeing that I'm approacing the 500/600 mile mark and figure the 1st time is the most important after breakin. The book says on the side stand. And some people do on the center stand but then their whole axle moves when retorqueing not to mention the book says .8 to 1.2 inches when on the side stand and seeing the bike would be in the air with the center stand ie no load wouldn't the amount be different!? :alcy:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do the chain on the centre stand. The final thing I do before I re-tighten the wheel nut on the axle is to put the bike back on the ground, get someone to hold it up, then check the chain tension in that position. Make any futher adjustments as required.

It's much easier that way, as you can get a better line with the front wheel, and keep the wheels in alignment. Nothing worse than having great chain tension, but your wheels out of alignment.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hi, My name is Nick. I'm a newbie and had to reply to another thread before I can create my own. I purchased a 2001 Bandit 1200 S naked for $3800 in october. It has just over 10k miles. Its in storage now as I live in Ohio and its a bit cold and wet to be riding. Holding my breath till riding weather!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new, too. I have been riding for 26 years and have had the misfortune of being without a bike for the last three. Well...I'm BACK baby. I just bought a 2001 Bandit 600S. 7000 miles on it and one previous owner. I love it. It is a bit sluggish at lower RPMs and Speeds, especially if it is cold out and not entirely warmed up, but when I wind her up, she flies like a bat out of hell and makes me feel like a teenager again.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the adjustor knob on the brake lever for? It is marked with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm new, too. I have been riding for 26 years and have had the misfortune of being without a bike for the last three. Well...I'm BACK baby. I just bought a 2001 Bandit 600S. 7000 miles on it and one previous owner. I love it. It is a bit sluggish at lower RPMs and Speeds, especially if it is cold out and not entirely warmed up, but when I wind her up, she flies like a bat out of hell and makes me feel like a teenager again.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the adjustor knob on the brake lever for? It is marked with the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4.
The adjustment is for the span of your hands - small hands you can adjust levers to be closer to the bars & vice-versa

Pete

21 - 40 of 58 Posts