RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have 30,000+ on my Bandit and highly recommend it as a bike that can do most anything. Sport riding, commuting, touring, two-up, it pretty much does it all. The later Bandits have a six-speed and fuel injection which are great improvements. This is a good place to get info. Also, visit Dale Walker's website for a wealth of available Bandit goodies. Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also new member (and Bandit owner)

Hi, I'm also new Bandit owner and forum member. I picked up a 2001 GSF 600S this past Sunday on Craig's list for $1800, which was all I could really afford on my grad student budget. I've mostly been practicing a little around my neighborhood until I take my endorsement test.

This is my first motorcycle, and I've (sigh) dropped it twice. The bike is bigger than the ones we rode at the MSF course I took (Buell Blasts), so it feels a little unwieldy for me in slow speed maneuvers and hill starts (I live at the bottom of a really steep hill, so I have no choice, I have to get good at hill starts). It does need a new chain and sprockets; it has a little tight-loose pattern in the chain that makes it kind of jerky when riding slow. I also had to make some adjustments to the throttle cable and clutch (I have small hands, so I gave the clutch cable some slack so it doesn't snap out of my hand; this is how I dropped it the first time). The seller gave me a Haynes manual with the bike, so I'll use that to replace the chain and sprockets myself and save some money (along with both turn signals that I damaged... grrr). Can't wait to get my endorsement and get out on the road, the bike feels pretty comfortable and I really like the modest design of the fairings and bodywork.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi, I'm also new Bandit owner and forum member. I picked up a 2001 GSF 600S this past Sunday on Craig's list for $1800, which was all I could really afford on my grad student budget. I've mostly been practicing a little around my neighborhood until I take my endorsement test.

This is my first motorcycle, and I've (sigh) dropped it twice. The bike is bigger than the ones we rode at the MSF course I took (Buell Blasts), so it feels a little unwieldy for me in slow speed maneuvers and hill starts (I live at the bottom of a really steep hill, so I have no choice, I have to get good at hill starts). It does need a new chain and sprockets; it has a little tight-loose pattern in the chain that makes it kind of jerky when riding slow. I also had to make some adjustments to the throttle cable and clutch (I have small hands, so I gave the clutch cable some slack so it doesn't snap out of my hand; this is how I dropped it the first time). The seller gave me a Haynes manual with the bike, so I'll use that to replace the chain and sprockets myself and save some money (along with both turn signals that I damaged... grrr). Can't wait to get my endorsement and get out on the road, the bike feels pretty comfortable and I really like the modest design of the fairings and bodywork.
I recommend using the foot brake to hold you on the hill. Let the clutch out slow, throttle and release the foot brake. Away you go!

Oh and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow!!!

I'm new to the forum as well. I just purchased an 05 B-12 as my fourth MC in this lifetime. First was a 1978 Honda CB400T then 198? KZ650 then 2005 Suzuki C-50 (Volusia) now the 1200s. This thing is crazy! If I were ten years younger I would probably be in jail already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here too!

Howdy folks!! I don't own a Bandit, but I'm researching some Bandit technology, possibly for use on my old `79 GS750.

I too have problems with small hands and clutch. I haven't been out of the parkinglot with my bike yet, but after just a few short-run clutchings, I find it difficult to use a "finger grip" on the clutch to smoothly slip into 1st gear. often have to crank my hand around and get a bit of palm on it. Makes it REALLY hard to smoothly pull up my footpath sized walkway and onto the porch.

You guys have an idea why I can't create a new thread? I've already activated (twice infact, and it told me "Your account has already been activated so please try logging in.").

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recommend using the foot brake to hold you on the hill. Let the clutch out slow, throttle and release the foot brake. Away you go!

Oh and welcome to the forum
Thanks for the tip, I think I've finally gotten it down, that and coming to a stop on a hill. I dropped the bike the first time by grabbing the front brake with the wheel turned on a hill at a 4-way stop; just that panic reaction, then splat. Luckily it went down on the side that's already scratched up (previous owner also grabbed the front brake and did what I did), so no additional noticeable damage. A lady came over and asked if I was okay, "yes, thank you I'm fine, just trying to lift up this stupid heavy bike...." I guess dropping it and the ensuing embarrassment is sort of a rite of passage. Anyway, I also replaced the chain and sprockets and the bike is much easier to start up. The jerkiness from the worn out chain didn't help things when I got out on it for the first few rides around my neighborhood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy folks!! I don't own a Bandit, but I'm researching some Bandit technology, possibly for use on my old `79 GS750.

I too have problems with small hands and clutch. I haven't been out of the parkinglot with my bike yet, but after just a few short-run clutchings, I find it difficult to use a "finger grip" on the clutch to smoothly slip into 1st gear. often have to crank my hand around and get a bit of palm on it. Makes it REALLY hard to smoothly pull up my footpath sized walkway and onto the porch.
I've since adjusted the clutch with a little more cable slack then is specified in my Haynes manual (recommended is 10-15mm of "dead" travel, I have maybe 18mm at most). Too much and the clutch won't fully disengage of course, but it seems to disengage fine with this much slack. With some practice I was able to let the lever roll off my fingers smoothly when it starts to fully engage. I did consider replacing the lever with one of those adjustable reach levers, but they are kind of pricey (~$100 US) and I'm kinda poor.

I also recommend practicing with some thin summer gloves. I bought some winter gloves right when I got the bike and that only compounded my problems with using the clutch, finding the turn signal switch (HONK!... oops that's the horn), etc. Once I figured everything out, I started riding with the thicker gloves.

You guys have an idea why I can't create a new thread? I've already activated (twice infact, and it told me "Your account has already been activated so please try logging in.").
I think you have to wait 24 hrs. after posting to an existing thread to be able to start a thread. However, when I posted my second post to this thread, I still couldn't start a thread. I was about to contact the admin when I tried again and it worked. Maybe contact the admin if you still have problems. I think it's just an anti-spam/troll measure.

-Ryan

Edit: One other thing I did when learning to use the clutch was rotating my wrist slightly up/forward on the handlebars compared to my right hand on the brake lever. This made it a little easier to keep my fingertips on the lever and get that fine control at the end of the lever stroke, even when the lever seemed to have too much throw. This kind of makes sense to me, as my right hand is positioned so that I get fine control of the brake lever when it's close to fully depressed, and my left hand positioned such that the fine control is when the lever is almost fully extended. Does that make any sense? Basically I think I was holding the clutch lever like a brake lever (I do a lot of mountain biking, maybe that's why). HTH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!!
Bought my '09 1250 SEA (Canadian Edition) last September, managed to get 1600 KM before the snow got too thick. Love the bike but it does need some minor mods for extended highway touring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there. I am a new member too. Hope to get some great Bandit related info from this forum. Must wait 24hrs to post my own topics though.

Nice to see a Bandit dedicated following out there.

Tried to register with Maximum Suzuki but they don't allow people to register with gmail or hotmail accounts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie here as well! Just picked up a 97 1200s in need of a few things. Hoping that some people here may have some insight into where to find them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, i am also new to the forum and waiting to post a new thread. I just bought a 96 bandit 600 and I love it but I would like to get a little more aggressive handlebars for it and maybe body mounted mirrors. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome new bandit forum members! I have a 2008 Bandit 1250. Just sold my 1997 Bandit 600 to buy a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 as a secondary bike. Very difficult to let go of the 97 Bandit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here also. Sold my SV650n, more for financial reasons than anything, and picked up an '02 Bandit 600s the next day for a quarter of what I sold the SV for. I'm trying to get it to run right now. Haven't found a manual to download for free yet. Anyways, I plan on riding the bike 'til I eventually sell it, all the while testing to see how much I like being behind a fairing for future bike purchase!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, i am also new to the forum and waiting to post a new thread. I just bought a 96 bandit 600 and I love it but I would like to get a little more aggressive handlebars for it and maybe body mounted mirrors. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!
Bikemaster makes a good selection of replacement steel bars. Many bends, very affordable (like $20) and standard 7/8 mounting diameter. Can pick them up from JCWhitney, Cycle Gear, etc. You should find several mirror choices from those retailers as well. I used the Superbike bend in black on my SV and was very happy with them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bandit Parts for sale

Hey guys I have parts for a 97 bandit that I need to sell. If any one is interested please let me know.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts