RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone who painted the tread on their tire on a youtube video one day and decided to give it a try. I really like the look of it, and get compliments on it all the time now. It adds a whole different look to the bike that most people do not have. Plus it makes me more a little more visible from behind being a white color.

Some people call them tread pens, but they are really just oil based paint pens (like $1 each from china) It did take a long time to paint, probably around 2 hours.. I used a lighter, safer paint thinner on the couple spots where paint got on the outside of the tread to make sure it does not reduce any traction.

After 2 weeks they still look like I just put them on, and that is after several rain and dust storms. I did have the chance to test drive them in the rain/flooded streets of lubbock. And I had zero slippage or traction issues.

What do y'all think? I may do the front tire as well when I get some free time

PhotoOct2762534PM.jpg
PhotoOct2762523PM.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks haha I think red would look really good on a red bike too.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Not my style at all, (if I had 2 hours of non obligated time, I'd have been out riding) but if you like it that's what matters. I always wonder when I see this if anyone has ever installed a black light under their tail. If you did the right combination of red and yellow, like alternate the colors in the tread (2 red, 4 yellow, 4 red, 2 yellow, etc) with a black light at night, it would look like it was flickering, as if your tire was on fire.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not my style at all, (if I had 2 hours of non obligated time, I'd have been out riding) but if you like it that's what matters. I always wonder when I see this if anyone has ever installed a black light under their tail. If you did the right combination of red and yellow, like alternate the colors in the tread (2 red, 4 yellow, 4 red, 2 yellow, etc) with a black light at night, it would look like it was flickering, as if your tire was on fire.
Cycle,

YOU'RE SICK! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here is a link to buy them from ebay tread paint pens | eBay and pretty much all you do is paint the inside part of the tread and try not to get any paint on the part that contacts the road.. and if you do just get a little bit of paint thinner on a rag and wipe it off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's an interesting take on using a black light, I think that would look really cool!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wonder, if you used glow in the dark paint and mounted a black light, if the intermittent exposure while moving would be enough to make it glow well.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
here is a link to buy them from ebay tread paint pens | eBay and pretty much all you do is paint the inside part of the tread and try not to get any paint on the part that contacts the road.. and if you do just get a little bit of paint thinner on a rag and wipe it off.
FWIW, I'd rather just ride off the excess, thinner will eat into the rubber then dry it out, which could be a longer lasting hazard than a little paint on the tread.

I wonder, if you used glow in the dark paint and mounted a black light, if the intermittent exposure while moving would be enough to make it glow well.
Yes, even with the white the lighted contrast to the black tire in the dark would be enough to make your mind connect the dots and see a glowing streak. Kind of along the same lines as those valve stem lights. You've seen how much some white shoelaces stand out in a strip club haven't you?

·
Registered
155 Posts
The tire would be spinning too fast to see any color change, it would look like a blur. You'd have to pick two, maybe three colors and have one section of tire (split in half or threes) painted each color, at which point, it would look silly sitting still.

Neat idea though...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well yeah, depending on how fast you were going. The faster you wanted to go and still get the effect the bigger the gap. Maybe do half the tire in red half way around the tire, then yellow, with the other half yellow then red. Of course I was picturing it at the speeds you might be rolling through the parking lot at your local Hooters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts