RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
82nd Chairborne
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please excuse my ignorance . . . my ZR-7 is the first bike i've ever owned and i'm in the dark about a few things namely jet kits and after market cans.

i would like to do some mods to my bike before spring hits and would like to know if i should either jet kit first or slip on can first or wait, save my pennies, and do them both at the same time?

i am planning on putting in a K&N with this week's allowance and am wondering what would be the next logical step.

btw this site rocks . . .

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
You should get quite a few responses on this one. I'm not a mechanically inclined rider, but I did install a K&N filter at about 500 miles, then I added the Yoshimura round race slip on at about 900 miles (not really sure), but my bike runs very well (like the tail light is on fire), and I'm extremely happy with it. But I've determined from the wisdom of this group of great people here that I really should re-jet and tune the carbs soon, real soon. Good luck, like I said you should get some answers quickly. Tom :cool:

And I see you have already!

·
Wheelie for Safety
1,550 Posts
Hi loudles,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about a slip-on or re-jetting just yet. Once you get familiar with the bike, you might decide that you don't need a can or re-jetting. However, I do suggest adjusting the idle mixture screws. Has that been done yet?

Because your a new rider, you should read the net as much as you can regarding how to ride a motorcycle safely. Here is one good link. http://www.msgroup.org/TIPS.ASP

You might also consider taking a MSF class.

Andy

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'd have to agree with Andy . . Take the MSF Course. It's money well spent. It may even lower your insurance rate (depending on the company).

If "I" were "you" . . I would put the Slip-On on first then do the Jet Kit. The Jet-Kit REALLY needs to have an after-market exhaust BUT the Slip-On doesn't require the Jet-Kit.

This is the order I did them in and I had no problems. I put the juet kit in about 1 week after I got the Slip-On.

Like the gang has said . . there is no "right" answer . . only different paths to the same destination.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I know how confussing this can be. I modified my first street bike back in 1978. The more questions I asked the more confused I got. Everyone has their own opinion on how to best get down this path. The bottom line is that a jet kit will cost you between $100 and $120. A slip on will set you back between $225 and $500 depending on which one you want. When it comes to a slip on, just remember that a two inch hole is a two inch hole--they all pretty much perform the same, it just comes down to looks and personal preference--unless of course you want the street version, which has a 1.5 inch hole! Two inch versus 1.5 inch, will probably be your toughest decision--it was mine! I chose the Yoshimura slip on for no other reason than it says "Yoshimura" on the can!

The best advice I can give you is to read, ask questions, read some more, establish a list of goals, then set a budget.

There is a book called "Sportbike Performance Handbook" by Kevin Cameron. This book gives a lot of practical advice on motorcycle modifications and retails for $21.95. It is really a pretty good book for the novice modifier and is well worth the money. Good Luck!

By-the-way, if you are a novice rider, I would invest in the rider's school before doing any modifications--it could save your life.

Tom Droze

·
9,816 Posts
Hey Tom, I bought Kevin Camerons' book right after I bought the ZR7, then purchased Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist" and several others, like Hough's riding book and so on. But the Cameron book has it's place in my bathroom now (for refresher reading)...who needs the newspaper anymore. Tom B. :D

You'll love that Yoshi can, to be sure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Tom--I'm glad you did not say toilet paper!:D It is a good book, most of the books I have are geared toward vintage street bikes of the 70's. Reading Kevin's book put back in the 20th century! I remember going into my local motorcycle dealer to buy new rubber for my 1976 Hona CB 550F a few years back and Bill asked me what kind of tires I wanted. After thinking for a minute, I responded, "I don't know, every motorcycle magazine I read is at least 20 years old"! "What's available"?

Did you get the titanium or stainless Yoshimura slip-on? Hey, I just finished moving my turn signals in closer and it looks a lot cleaner. The rears were pretty easy to do, the fronts required a little imagination.

Tom D.

·
9,816 Posts
Hey Tom, I got the stainless Yoshimura round race S/O. When you get your's, Yoshi also includes a real nice catalog on everthing they sell, it's called "The Book of Speed - 2002" of course mine was 2001. It is impressive, to say the least. Tom B.

Keep me posted! And I forgot, you'll get a couple of Yoshi stickers also.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe that the best enhancement for any new bike is to improve its handling. I recommend installing Progressive frok spings, increasing the fork oil weight to 15wt, and installing steel braided brake lines for the front brakes. These changes will dramtically improve the handling of the bike and will give you more confidence while riding and braking. Because of these changes you will definitely ride faster, smoother, and safer.

After the handling changes, I would go with a jet kit and K&N filter. From all the posts on this board, everyone states that proper jetting will improve the bike performance and smoothness. I would recommend the jet kit from Factory Racing.

As far as changing the exhaust, I think the stock can looks good and it can be made to sound better by punching a couple of holes in the internal baffles. Save your money and try the hole punch trick first.

·
9,816 Posts
Good point on the handling of the bike, Chuck. After re jetting, I'm hoping to do some suspension mods to make the bike handle better now that it's a little faster. I have to disagree with you on "stabbing" the stock pipe. But, the "only" reason that I disagree with you on that, is because my stock pipe is setting here just in case I "skin up that Yoshimura round race can" that I have on the bike now, or "worst case scenerio" I decide to sell the bike -- then I'd offer the s/o to you guys and gals here. But this is just my opinion, of course. Tom :)

·
82nd Chairborne
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

thanks for the responses and advice . . .

i am planning on taking the MSF course again soon . . . i took it way back and never followed thru on the lisence. riding on a permit now. i read a few pages of "street strategies" a couple of times a week - like a zen koan book. i'm glad i got into the sport at the "responsible" age of 30 - i have a healthy respect for my mortality and hence try not to take chances.

i am also planning on going to peguin road racing school this summer when i go home on leave. those of you who live in new england ought to check them out.

as far as the mod questions, the ones that peeked my interest were the suspension mods. anyone care to elaborate on that topic? and are these the types of things any given moron (like me) can do?

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
The PVC mod is real simple, and even if you want to change to an aftermarket spring, it's just a couple more steps. Since you said "when I go on leave" I'm going to guess that you are a fellow service member, and unless you lucked out like I did, you may not have a garage to work in. That's only important if you are waiting for parts or have things torn down and won't finish until later. If that is the case, you will have to be a bit more strategic in your planning and execution on the projects on your bike, but most of the stuff can be accomplished in an hour or 2.

·
82nd Chairborne
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PVwhat?

PVC? like in the piping material? like i said i'm all kind of in the dark about this stuff . . . on the plus side, i do have a garage i can work in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts