RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still getting over a large blister on my throttle hand from last month's ride up to SB. I had removed my Grip Puppies because they'd been just a little too big for everyday riding. I had them mounted over my previous Pro-Grips but they increased the reach to my brake lever to a point that just wasn't safe enough for my stop & go commuting.
GRIP PUPPIES ™ Small. (1 Pair) - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at California Sport Touring

So I saw a good review of the Spider Peak Road Grips, so I ordered a pair and finally installed them today.

Introducing the New Spider PEAK Grip! ? Spider Grips

I cut off my old pair of Pro-Grips, model 732, which were showing signs of wear though were never quite think enough to be as comfortable as the Grip Puppies.
I removed the bar ends (6mm hex wrench, I think) and tried to slide on the Spider's, starting with the left side. No way was it going on without some help! So I got an old travel-size bottle of hair spray, wet down the inside of the new grip and it slid right on! I never would have got it on without the hairspray and I still have no idea how you put grips on using compressed air!
I had no more Scott's Grip Stick glue, which I have been using as insurance with other grips. We'll see if they hold.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
You should be wearing gloves. But are you sure hair spray won't make them slide while you are pulling the throttle?

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Hairspray is an old trick. Once it dries it forms like a glue.
I am very interested in your thoughts on these grips. I currently have the Driven D3's, and I am not a huge fan.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't have thought I'd needed to mention that i WAS wearing gloves but I guess some guys don't...
I had on my padded Cortech Vice 2.0 gloves:

Cortech Vice 2.0 Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

The hairspray dries quickly and becomes very sticky. My hands were tacking up within seconds of getting a little wet. Even without anything sticky, the grips should hang on tight to the bars. Try pulling on a grip without any hairspray, like I tried, to see how impossible it would be to even twist these grips loose.

They feel beefier than the old ones and they are a little thicker in the middle. Not nearly as much difference as Grip Puppies, but they do seem a bit more thick than the Pro-Grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts