RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I bought a 2007 Ninja 650r and three weeks into riding, the engine blew :(. I was finally able to buy a used engine with 5,000 miles on it. Since I am a student with little money, I was going to install it with the help of a friend who has more knowledge of motorcycles than I do. (Any shop will charge $80 per hour for anything they do)

Questions: 1.What is a realistic estimate of how long it will take to take out the old engine and install the new one?
2. Will I need any special tools? (besides for what a normal person carries in a tool box)

Thank You!

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it is a complete engine/gearbox, then I'd say a day or two if you hadn't done anything like that before. You will need sockets, torque wrench most likely, then the standard set of tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. I'd seriously invest in the shop manual for your bike as well. It will have step by step instructions on engine removal.

·
Banned
786 Posts

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Hopefully you know why the first engine blew so you can prevent the second engine from blowing. These engines are pretty bulletproof when properly maintained.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully you know why the first engine blew so you can prevent the second engine from blowing. These engines are pretty bulletproof when properly maintained.
First owner (some one I trusted) did not take care of the bike as he had described. So I got stuck with this hot mess :/.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
First owner (some one I trusted) did not take care of the bike as he had described. So I got stuck with this hot mess :/.
With friends like that...

Good luck with the replacement.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your best bet is to avoid having a garage do it (unless you have the cash to pay those thieves), I'd recommend using the internet for proper manuals to do it yourself (risky) or make friends with someone who knows their way around motorcycles which is your safest bet, just make sure you toss him some $$$ so he'll be willing to help on any other future problems!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts