RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically these aren't biking jeans but what the heck, I want to be a trend setter. Plus I don't like textile or leather pants, I prefer "normal" looking clothes for around town. Add some thermal underwear underneath and my rain pants on top and I can go on very long trips without things getting cold.

I got 2 different kinds.
1) 100gram Thinsulate lined 14.5 oz denim jeans
http://www.cabelas.com/product/RIGGS-Workwear174-by-Wrangler174-Thinsulate8482-Pants/752350.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=thinsulate+pants&x=0&y=0&Ntt=thinsulate+pants

The inside thinsulate has a liner on the side facing your legs on it but its not fully enclosed inbetween the insulation and jean material. What I mean is near the crotch area I can place my hand between the insulation and jean. I assume this will let some wind in but my tank/fairing should protect the "region". I could also fix it myself with a sturdy needle that could get through the denim. I'm not nearly that bored though. The jeans themselves are nice quality and feel very warm. They have a bit more bulk but don't look silly while wearing them. I'm not sure how the thinsulate will hold up over time and many washes. The jean material is soft for the thickness and its comfortable to wear. The thinsulate is similar to the added bulk of your typical jacket liner, maybe a bit thinner. Legs are long enough to go down over a boot. There is some single, double and also triple stitching in various areas. Best part is only $39 and no massive ICON logo running down the side for close to the same thing. The Icons have a removable liner though so you do miss out on that benefit/quality. Its the only insulated riding jean I know of to compare it to at all.

2) Second set, fleece lined 14.75 oz jeans
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Roughneck-Relaxed-Fit-Denim-Jeans-Fleece-Lined/749747.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=fleece+jeans&x=0&y=0&Ntt=fleece+jeans
Holy crap are these things comfortable. The fleece is real nice. Also, the stitching is much better and doesn't have the same issue as the jeans I listed above. Its sewed into the zipper area and is a very well constructed pant. They're less baggy than the thinsulate ones as the fleece isn't as thick as the thinsulate. With these you can't really tell they're not normal jeans unless they're folded on the floor and see a bit more thickness versus a regular folded pant right next to it. Stitching on these is double and some single that they went over twice (Does that count as all double? Maybe).

Overall they'll both be great for riding, shoveling snow, etc. I think the fleece ones will hold up a bit better over time but the thinsulate ones will win in the warmth department by a narrow margin. You could wear both all day if you're a colder person without issue. You might get a bit toasty in them if you work in a warm office. I normally have easily removable and stowable layers on my upper half though so it's a non-issue if you plan accordingly.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Technically these aren't biking jeans but what the heck, I want to be a trend setter. Plus I don't like textile or leather pants, I prefer "normal" looking clothes for around town.
Leather and textile pants are intended to protect you if you slide down the pavement. I do wear Cortech DSX jeans for casual riding. Have you looked at Sliders pants. http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-Khaki-3-0-Riding-Pants/1001002

I do have lined pants for winter camping. Good prices at www.sportsmansguide.com

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand about protection, the purpose of these pants is an all purpose pant I can wear all day and have warmth to include riding. Although the ones you listed have kevlar there's no insulation or warmth value. This Ohio place is stinkin cold. I don't plan on going into work or any of my masters classes with leather pants (that's how rumors get started).

If I'm doing spirited riding or go to the drags I have armored Scorpion pants. I also have true motorcycle jeans with kevlar reinforcement for the other 3 seasons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts