RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Only joined the site last night, main reason to see what threads I can look up regarding changing cans.

I've just stuck two lovely little stubbies on my 2008 Z1000 and it sounds sooooo schweeet :agree:

Now, the FI engine management light has flashed on, but I believe that is because of the 02 sensor in the left hand exhaust, as we disconnected it at the exhaust and not the servo, so, next step is to disconnect the wires from the servo completely to see if the light goes off and if not, I believe I can purchase a blanking plate that will do this.

My 2nd concern is to do with gathering people's opinions / experiences of their bikes running lean or too rich once changing the end cans, particularly if not accompanying it with a Power Comander.

It isn't / wasn't my intention to put a Power Commander on - I just don't see the need to be honest, and was told by several Kwak dealers that the bike will run just fine with aftermarket cans on, however, on doing some research on various other sites, it seems like there is a vast range of opinions / experiences on this point, therefore, this is my reason for my post.

Apologies for the lengthy post, but thanks in advance for any input :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have ixil cans on mine. It does run a little lean without a PC. However I don't mind it really. Pops a bangs on the over run nicely !! I don't seem to use more fuel and the bike runs fine and the plugs seem fine and I have done 4000 miles on it since the cans went on. I also have a K&N filter on the bike. I will be getting a PC soon though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 07 Z1000, I put MIVV exhaust on it and it came thru with small springs to put in the cables becasue it has doesnt have the valve built into the pipe. those cables go do an electric motor assembly controlling the now non existent valve and also triggers the FI light. from what i seee the springs help give it the cables tension giving the assembly a false reading so the light doesnt come on. in my case i have noticed...that if i turn the key on and when the light flashes in the begining i give it 10 seconds before i hit the starter to start the bike and my FI light never comes on. O2 sensor...not sure if mine has it, but i doubt its ur issue....that electrical crap for the Exhaust valve is more than likely ur culprit...no worries put tape over it,lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, disconnect the cables from the servo..

I have Two Bros Titanium exhaust cans on my 07 and the bike runs fine without a PC. I get a few pops and burbles on deceleration but thats not a problem. The PC may improve performance slightly but the Z already has plenty of power for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with the thread search suggestion. there is many years worth and piles of info on here if you look for it. As for me, with slip-ons + k&n no problems has to be leaner than normal but not out of scope for an FI bike they do adjust the air fuel mix a little. But I own an 04 not your generation could be different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts