RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been prowling this forum for the better part of six months since a buddy of mine purchased an '09 Ninja 650 and we swapped out one day to check out each others bikes. Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a '13 brand new, sexy blue 650. I'm a sport touring nut that's been on some form of motorized, two wheeled madness since I was 10 and for the past 6 years I've managed to abuse an '85 BMW K100RT on a daily basis. We took a five day trip to La Jitas, Terlingua and Big Bend national park and a few months ago spent a few days riding the three sisters outside of Kerrville, Tx. She's been a good 'ol bike but I've been wanting something shorter, lighter and more 'up to date' and after riding my buddy's '09 650, I knew what I wanted.

Unlike many that buy this bike, I'm not interested in changing the exhaust or performance...lowering it or putting sport bars on it. It's my opinion that 90% of all riders out there will never be able to ride their bike to it's fullest potential in stock form but to each his own. I'm looking to create an all around viable, mid-size commuting, sport touring machine complete with taller windscreen and givi v35's to start.

Anyway, thanks for having such a great forum. I look forward to sharing my take and mods on this beautiful bike.

Sportour

10162389145_85b572f326_b.jpg 10162389145_85b572f326_b.jpg

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Welcome! I "downsized" from big sport tourers as well and love my '06. Put over 50k on it since I bought it in 2011. Got a good list of mods going, if you want to check it out. I can't quit tinkering with cheap miss. Blog link in my signature for loads of pictures. I do as much touring and camping off the bike as money and time will allow!

Zero Gravitylight smoke touring shield
Second gen 650R mirrors
SW Mototech mirror extenders
Tennis grip tape over OEM grips
Digital 5 function voltmeter (http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/342)
Garmin Nuvi 765 w/Aqua Box and RAM handlebar mount
Spencerized OEM seat
Versys rider pegs (modified to fit)
Home made hard case mounts
Seahorse 720 hard cases
Rentech rear rack
Cutting board bolted to rear rack
Rubbermaid ActionPacker top case
Helen Two Wheels tank panniers
Hyperlights
Fiamm Dual high/low horns
Kurvey Girl angled valve stems
Gerbings dual heated gear controller
Helmet Guardian
Osram Nightbreaker Plus headlights
Barkbuster S1 Storm hand guards
GoPro camera mount
2 tooltubes
DIY radiatorguard
Go Cruise throttle lock

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Welcome to the club. Both the forum and the 650 community. I think as you get to know people on here, as I have, some push this baby far more than you realize. But be that as it may the wonderful thing about this bike is it can do anything you want to it too. An ss will always be an ss and a tourer will always be a tourer. The 650 can be just about anything. There are track guys and racers here there are guys like smash who do things most wouldn't imagine on a bike (1000 miles in 24 hours?! No thanks). I personally like the more aggressive styling but even with sport bars I can tour on it (I'm also short). There are a few guys here that take the hard cases off and run track days! So like I said don't underestimate.

It's versatile and fun. Now we just need to get the aftermarket companies to realize this!

Look forward to hearing of your adventures!

-Alex

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome! Brewing some envy on that pretty machine you have there.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hey, sportour, welcome to the forum. interesting that you are moving away from a beemer.

I agree on leaving bikes "stock". the four I've owned have been stock, except for a roadhouse exhaust that came with a slightly used 2000 Suzuki intruder LC.

ride yer new one like y'stole it (not really; that's just a "saying" - LOL).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas, I'm cool with all the sport mods for those that dig that kinda thing. I guess it's one thing about this bike that is so interesting. It can be pretty much whatever your flavor is. I love zipping back and forth and dropping into corners but I'm far from a track running and knee dragging lol.

My old Beemer was passed down to me. I absolutely loved the bike but it was tall and a new one is more money than I want to put out!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
:slap:

:killingme

Makes no matter to me. Either way I think my arse still hurts.
Sorry, the sarcasm doesn't translate well.

Either way it's a hell of a trip. I did 200 miles in 2.5 hours and my *** was killing me! Also on stock seat. That's gonna change soon though. I emailed spencer this morning.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Sorry, the sarcasm doesn't translate well.

Either way it's a hell of a trip. I did 200 miles in 2.5 hours and my *** was killing me! Also on stock seat. That's gonna change soon though. I emailed spencer this morning.
Makes one hell of a difference given the price! I wish I had asked him to get rid of the forward slope in the seat though. Oh well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congratulations! and welcome to the forum!

I'm leaving my 650 stock too... well, i just put yellow rim-tapes to add +2 AGI to the bike (and match the yellow spring). LOL.

Cheers!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an R&G radiator guard and spools on the way as well as a Zero Gravity touring windscreen. Let the fun begin!:woot:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and get new springs for the forks rated for your weight. It's one of the best improvements you can make on this bike. The handling is so much better when you have a front suspension that actually works. I waited until I had 19,000 miles on my bike before I did and after experiencing the difference I really regretted that I put up with the stock springs for all those miles.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I was going to keep mine stock too. That lasted maybe a year. When you get a bike that can be many things for a good price, its easier to think of and save up money to personalize it to your tastes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy many miles to come.

Do yourself a big favor and get new springs for the forks rated for your weight. It's one of the best improvements you can make on this bike. The handling is so much better when you have a front suspension that actually works. I waited until I had 19,000 miles on my bike before I did and after experiencing the difference I really regretted that I put up with the stock springs for all those miles.
This, this, this. Mother ****ing this. The stock springs are way way too stiff. Getting my fork springs made a change I could believe. The bike was better in every aspect.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Yeah swapping the springs out is a great idea. I forgot to add that to my "mod" list. Sonics with stock oil weight for me. Definitely an improvement. Rode 45k with the originals, shouldn't have waited that long.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a great suggestion. I'll add upgraded fork springs to my wish list! When I say that I'm keeping it "stock" I'm simply referring to the engine performance and exhaust elements of the bike. I have a ton of "personal touches" already lined up and some already on their way!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hello all,
I've been prowling this forum for the better part of six months since a buddy of mine purchased an '09 Ninja 650 and we swapped out one day to check out each others bikes. Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a '13 brand new, sexy blue 650. I'm a sport touring nut that's been on some form of motorized, two wheeled madness since I was 10 and for the past 6 years I've managed to abuse an '85 BMW K100RT on a daily basis. We took a five day trip to La Jitas, Terlingua and Big Bend national park and a few months ago spent a few days riding the three sisters outside of Kerrville, Tx. She's been a good 'ol bike but I've been wanting something shorter, lighter and more 'up to date' and after riding my buddy's '09 650, I knew what I wanted.

Unlike many that buy this bike, I'm not interested in changing the exhaust or performance...lowering it or putting sport bars on it. It's my opinion that 90% of all riders out there will never be able to ride their bike to it's fullest potential in stock form but to each his own. I'm looking to create an all around viable, mid-size commuting, sport touring machine complete with taller windscreen and givi v35's to start.

Anyway, thanks for having such a great forum. I look forward to sharing my take and mods on this beautiful bike.

Sportour

View attachment 68819 View attachment 68819
Welcome to the Forum Sportour!

All I can say is: Suspension, suspension, and suspension! Don't forget to include GIVI Payload and weight of bags and mounts! Woot Woot!!!:woot:

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts