RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m new here, I just picked up a 2020 Ninja 650 and rode it home from the dealer and hit the store with the wife and kids and with the dealership closed and reading the owners manual I’m still left scratching my head.
This is my first 0 mile bike and I know about the break in period for the engine which i expected but I’m unsure what is considered excessive RPM for a new bike under 600 miles? I know general rule is no more then half throttle.

When I start the bike up and ride up and down the road the oil light is still on. I checked the levels and they are within the max and min. Could it be that the pressure hasn’t regulated?

And lastly after riding home it smelt as if something was burning off. Is this normal? I know with my job in the military shooting a new M240 or 50. Cal barrel they have it coated in a protect grease and as you send some rounds through them you get a similar smell. Not sure if it’s the same thing that it’s the remaining protective coat on the engine or other parts burning off.

thank you all for your response in advance!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The oil light should definitely not be active once the bike is started. I would cease riding and call the dealer ASAP. It could be just the oil pressure sender but it could also be a fatal engine oil pressure issue.
The burning smell is fairly normal and should dissipate fairly quickly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When for a quick ride last night and the light kicked off once I started the bike, so no worries there and the burning smell has all but gone away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up a 0-mile 2018 650 last year and the dealer basically suggested that I don’t stay at one RPM for prolonged periods of time, but otherwise to ride it like I would every day. I don’t wring out my bikes so I rode it home on the highway alternating between 5th and 6th gears, at ~5-6k RPM, and for the remainder of my break in period I kept it mostly below 9-ish, but I won’t lie and say I didn’t have some high RPM streetlight to streetlight runs.

Keep an eye on your oil, it’s a little alarming that it didn’t go off initially but I guess as long as it’s gone now the best you can do is remain vigilant.

Sat on a 2020 at the dealership the other day myself. Really love the new ZX6R style front, almost makes me wish I’d waited a year to upgrade. The TFT cluster was smaller than I imagined but still pretty impressive! Congrats on the new bike :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thank the info. So far everything looks to good, after the initial ride from the dealership oil light has not turned back on during my travel to and from work.

The display is on the smaller size but they did make it easy to read and is a nice feature especially since my last bike was a 98 R6 lol. Lots of good QoL up grades.

·
Super Moderator
2,370 Posts
Welcome onboard. The 'running in' discussion is about as old as motorcycles. Some say ride it like you stole it from the start, others say don't go over 4T revs, and many others have something else to say. If you stick with what the manual says, you can't go wrong. Also a running in period allows you time to learn the foibles of the bike at a reasonable speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2019 back in February 2020 and put 1,500 miles on it over the past few months. Before my first oil change, the only thing I was really mindful of was varying the RPMs and not keeping the bike at the same speed and gear for too long.

I was reving up to 7-8K sporadically just testing the power band. No issues for me so far.

One note about checking the oil level, I assume everyone knows the bike has to be level and balanced vertically ( off of the kick stand ) to get an accurate reading through the window...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts