RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say hello, and see if I can find the answer to a few questions...
I've been around here a while as I have had an 06 Z1000 that I bought new. It is currently for sale and I have a mint 07 that I hope to be picking up in the next couple weeks.

Does anybody have a North American part number for an OEM black rear seat cowl? Can they be ordered from Ronayers, etc?

I've seen some pictures of black Z1000's with the side frame/covers also black. Are you guys painting or having these powder coated? They're grey or silver from the factory it seems, same as the first gen Z1000's. (See the attached picture to see what cover I'm talking about)

Can anybody suggest a Protaper handlebar that is the same as, or similar in shape to the stock bars? Maybe even slightly lower? A part number perhaps? Or even where to buy?

Any tips or suggestions would be a great help, thanks guys!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Congrats on the '07. Thanks for posting the pic of that bike, I forgot what they look like stock. :)

I found some plastic-specific spray paint at Auto-Zone that has held up well. When I painted my side covers (about 3 years ago), I actually painted ALL of the plastics that were flat black, so they all had the same flat look. I've seen others that just paint the silver covers black, and you can tell that they were not painted that way from the factory.

Also, I sanded all of the panels before painting them, which I think helped.

As for the handlebars, I'm running the ProTaper Evo RM Lows. They are lower than stock, but I like them. And they are fatter, so I had to get different mounts (maybe not the correct term). I forget where I got them...maybe ebay.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh poop..

Are those side covers plastic? Or did you just use plastic paint?

Those covers, although they look like plastic, are aluminum on the first gen Z1000's.

Just curious. I don't mind painting them. Thanks man,

Cory

·
Registered
544 Posts
They are plastic, I've painted them also and it held up great. I used plastic primer and 500* low gloss black as I wanted them to be the same color as the engine covers I also painted.

I have seen many times that the black seat cowls were discontinued from Kawa so you might have to do some research to find one...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rembrandt, is your bike color ebony black or metallic black, you know with little flakes in the paint or without? If its no flakes this will work and not so bad in price. I've used these guys before when I did my fork swap for the axle parts needed. There legit.

16146 SKU: 16146-0075-H8
COVER-ASSY,SINGLE SEAT,EBONY (OPTION) (OPTION) (OPTION) 1 $124.97

http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx

or you can try from across the pond where I bought my bellypan from, these folks were great to work with, expensive due to the euro, but they can get you what you want.

http://www.doughackingmotorcycles.co.uk/accessories.php?id=272&atype=sports

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Side panels are plastic... I just washed them with detergent soap to remove any grease or film on them, scuffed them with a Scotch pad, wiped them down with a microfiber towel, then sprayed several light coats of primer followed by several light coats of semi-gloss black. Or you can buy 2008 plastic... they're black from the factory!

2007 cowl seems to be an item of limited availability... not sure why.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Just doing all my research....keeps my little brain busy as the weather gets colder...lol.

Hey NSF240sx, I see your "boomerang" radiator shrouds are removed. What did you do for your front signals? Did you have to do anything else as a "mod", or did you simply unbolt them, and then re-route the wires?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Just doing all my research....keeps my little brain busy as the weather gets colder...lol.

Hey NSF240sx, I see your "boomerang" radiator shrouds are removed. What did you do for your front signals? Did you have to do anything else as a "mod", or did you simply unbolt them, and then re-route the wires?
I just unbolted them along with the brackets, relocated the horn and used small LED signals.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
16146 SKU: 16146-0075-H8
COVER-ASSY,SINGLE SEAT,EBONY (OPTION) (OPTION) (OPTION) 1 $124.97

http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx
Thanks Shogun, much appreciated.

Looks like the one I need is the Metallic Diablo Black rear seat cowl, part # 16146-0075-17K (<---the "17K" indicates this color)

Looks like the Euro version is part # 16146-0075-H8 (Ebony Black).

I guess if I can't get one on this side of the world, I'll have to order an Euro cover, and have it painted...not a big deal really.

Cheers man,
Rem

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rembrandt, I could get one for you from my dealer here in Japan in your particular color and it might cheaper than the euro cost. Maybe save a few bucks. The yen rate is crap right now, but I think it would still be maybe 10 or 20 bucks cheaper. I can check if you want. Your color is the one I have on my bike. Of all the colors, Japan didnt carry the atomic silver, go figure. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shogun,

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Let me check NA availability today, and I'll get back to you. The online parts guys don't have pricing listed...instead of an "Add To Cart" button, it says "Call-Us"...lol.

Thanks,
Rem:alcy:

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf: :dunno: :rant :yell: :BS: :confuse: :( :flamethro............................

JK, will be nice to see a new modded 2nd gen on the forum, excited to see what direction you go with it :alcy:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK, will be nice to see a new modded 2nd gen on the forum, excited to see what direction you go with it :alcy:
Muahahaha, funny guy!!

I'll be sad to see the 06 Z1000 go as I've had her since new, and I still love her to death! However, I suddenly had an urge to have a 2nd gen Z, so we'll see how it goes.

I should have it all modded up in a month or two, so I'll post up some pics....well, the first few things will be done at least...Corbin seat, pipe(s), bar end mirrors, etc, etc...the standard fare...lol.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think I just stumbled on to something that might help out with the discontinued seat cowl assembly P/N 16146-0075-17K. It is no longer available in the USA. However, I did find several websites in europe that said they can get it at $240+ USD +shipping!
That is way out of line for a part that did sell for $90.00 in the USA.
OK, here is my idea: That is a 2007 part number painted Diablo Metalic Black. I believe the 2008 is the same fit as the 2007. (THAT IS WHERE YOU GUYS COME IN) And the 2008 P/N is 16146-0075-667 COVER-ASSY,SINGLE SEAT,WHITE and cost $85.00 USD!
You can paint it or have it painted. This is what I might do if the are the same fit/part as the 2007. The correct OEM paint can be found at Color-Rite. http://www.colorrite.com/product/kawasaki-17k-metallic-diablo-black-1570.cfm So is it going to fit or am I just grabbing at straws cuz I gotta have it?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Its the same part, just a different color. There are no differences in bodywork from 2007 to 2009.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks Black Sheep. However, I think I've found on in Texas in Diablo Metalic Black and am just waiting on an email to confirm. If not, it is back to the spray paint for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts