RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Answer

Sorry, I've been really busy @ work lately and haven't had the chance to check the forums. I'm a little late and don't belong to that forum so I will post the answer here and if you like you can pass it on:

There are some answers up there that seem to conflict but are really the same, they're just using different units. (Metric vs. Standard). If we express these mathematically then you will see:
T=Torque
HP=Horse Power
RPMs=Rev. per minute
N=Newton
lbs=pounds
m=meter
s=second
ft=foot
pi=Pi (3.14159...)

T=(HP * 745.70 N*m/s) / [(RPMs / 60 s) * 2(pi)] in N*m or
T=(5252 * HP) / (RPMs) in ft*lbs
1 ft*lb = 1.3558 N*m

So, Let apply this using my FZ-1 as an example:
FZ-1 produces 124.6 HP @ 9200 RPM What's it's torque:
(124.6 * 745.70 N*m/s) / [(9200 / 60) * 2(pi)] = 96.44 N*m
(5252 * 124.6) / (9200) = 71.13 ft*lbs * 1.3558 N*m/ft*lb = 96.44 N*m

So both answers were actually right. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Too Smart

I, too, often times wonder that. As a kid, I was smart with no common sense (i.e. could multiply up to 12*12 and count in hex at the age of 6 . . also ran into the same tree 3 different times playing hide & seek . . each time requiring stitches) I've gained common sense aka wisdom as I've gotten older, thankfully. All my science classes were easy in school and I had my 1st and 2nd semester Physics Professors each ask me if I had taken the course before.

But I'm just a pup when it comes to riding. I can explain the physics of what's happening when I ride . . but I've only been riding for 3 months. Once again . . smart . . but no wisdom. That's why I like to come to the forum.

Being smart doesn't mean you know it all . . it means you have the potential to, it just takes a lot of time to get to "it all" ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts