RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just pulled out the air filter on my ZR7 . It is a genuine Kawasaki Foam filter...too dirty to re use. I have bought a new one from Kawasaki . Hugely expensive ( $76 AUD) . My question , is it pre oiled ? Can I put it in straight out of the box or do I need to oil the new one before use? If so what is the best oil to use. I have heard that sprays use a solvent that destroy the foam.
Any help would be appreciated.
Knoffie

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
The filters are not pre-oiled, but should be before installed (if they are the foam filters and not the paper ones.)

If your old one is not ripped or torn you can clean them in warm water and soap, let fully air dry, re-oil and re-use them.

You can also buy aftermarket paper ones, but I've never tried them.

There are lots of manufactures that make replacement filters. Feel free to look at other brands that might be available in your area. Hiflofiltro model HFA2703 is what I use. They are washable and reusable as well. IMHO the K&N filters are too much $$

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I believe the OEM foam filter can simply be re-oiled with engine oil -- check the manual. I had excellent luck using aftermarket paper filters (EMGO brand); they were inexpensive and dropped right in without the need to oil or treat with anything. I found that they sealed against the air box much better then the OEM foamies.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
View attachment 101017 If your going to use the foam type, be careful to not over oil it. I use a spray bottle to very LIGHTLY mist the filter. Too much and you'll restrict the air flow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oiled air filter

View attachment 101017 If your going to use the foam type, be careful to not over oil it. I use a spray bottle to very LIGHTLY mist the filter. Too much and you'll restrict the air flow.
All done, took the filter out again and oiled it with small rush and sewing machine oil which is very light.
Runs well, pulls cleanly at all revs so all good.
Thanks for the advice. :eek:
Knoffie

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have used Filtron/ Uni foam filters in the past on Hare & Hound desert racing and in the dirt ect. and don't really like them much. Easy to clean yes, fairly inexpensive yes filtered air quality, well when new good as they age not so good. I have to go with high mileage long time rider Doug Hyde on his choice. Emgo paper filters are as good a simple OEM replacement unit as there are out there. They are like the Fram/ Purolator of the motorcycle world. K&N are excellent as long as they are Not Over Oiled. Especially if they are used on a EFI engine where over oiling can play pure hell with mass air flow sensors. Oh be sure to use a foam air filter specific oil for oiling, it's a lot more tacky and does a superior job to standard straight grade motor oil. My original OEM filter had a thin foam "Pre Filter" on it and I have cleaned dried and reused it on the replacement dry paper filter. I have a brand new factory oiled unused K&N filter in my spare parts cabinet. Good Luck Y'all and Good Riding Merry Christmas and Happy New Year To All.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
The unit oil is awesome. You can use their cleaner, or tide, to clean it again.

Maxima makes an air filter oil. Super sticky like chainsaw bar oil. It is good, but messy as can be. Seriously, I think it is chainsaw bar oil, but it's not that expensive.

In the old days, before special oil was invented $$$$$, the manuals recommended 30w motor oil.

Odorless mineral spirits works on even the most filthy foam filters. Rinse in that, let dry, and rear oil.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Maxima products are excellent one and all. I've used their chain wax for years and have used their motor oils and such. Good stuff. I use Mobil 1 T4 in my motorcycles and their extended performance engine oil in my cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Need to oil foam filter?

Maxima products are excellent one and all. I've used their chain wax for years and have used their motor oils and such. Good stuff. I use Mobil 1 T4 in my motorcycles and their extended performance engine oil in my cars.
I couldn't rest. I knew the sewing machine oil would not work..its light but not sticky.
Pulled the filter out again, washed it in kerosene and then soapy water and bought some proper foam air filter oil. Spayed it lightly ...and Bob's your uncle!
Thanks for all the help and advice.
knoffie
:eek:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hey just glad to be of any help. I've been running this basic series of engines since 1980 and can say if you do the job of P M it will pay you back with long life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced mine with the HIFLOWFILTRO HFA2703 foam. Interesting comment in this thread about chainsaw oil. I almost went with that, I had the Quaker State Dura-Tac bar and chain lube in my hand but then opted for the 10W-30. I’m not sure what the previous owner used, but there was red liquid that I cleaned out of the air filter box. I would be interested in the EMGO paper filter, does anyone here have the correct part number for the ZR-7 in EMGO paper?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts