29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a FNG (New Guy) here. I already own several motorcycles:

I am the original owner of a:

1971 Black BMW R75/5
1984 Red Yamaha Venture
2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE

But I was thinking about buying a new mid-weight touring bike, like the 2016 Versys 650 LT in orange. I have never owned a Kawasaki in my life, but anyone can see by my list of bikes, I have no brand loyalty at all. It's more about the bike models with me.

I do have a few questions about the 650 LT that do not seem to be in the specs anywhere. Such as:

1. What type of MPG does it usually get on the freeway (high, low & average MPG). City?
2. What range on a full tank of fuel? Is the entire 5.5 gallons usable? And is it a true 5.5 gallons?
3. What are the common reliability issues?
4. How many miles usually before the chain needs adjustment?
5. Is there a centerstand available for the 2016 model?
6. What is the RPM at 70 MPH on the freeway in top gear? Where is redline?

A touring bike with a drive chain will be something new with me. But I am looking for something a bit different.

Any more info. espcally anything that is NOT usually listed in the specs, would be great!

-Don- SSF, CA

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Hey Don. Welcome to riderforums. Small world.

Had my 2nd generation 2011 Versys for 4 years, and 30,000 miles of light touring. Did a 15 state, 7000 mile tour, and even put in an 800 mile day once.

With hard bags and taller windshield, I averaged around 50 mpg.

I have gone 225 miles before starting to look for fuel. I don't know if manufacturers tell you the entire fuel capacity, or how much you can use before being in danger of overheating the fuel pump by running it too low.

I had zero issues with mine, and only traded it off because I picked up a lighter FZ-07 to carry in my truck when on work trips I couldn't ride to. The 1st generation had some stator issues, but not sure of the percentage.

When the chain needs adjusting has many variables. Are you fastidious with cleaning and lubing? Do you accelerate hard? Engine brake hard? I am going to guess that I adjusted twice in 15,000 miles.

I believe there are aftermarket centerstands. Check out twistedthrottle.com

Not sure on the RPM at interstate. Never an issue for me. But some owners that spend most of their time on the interstate change out the front sprocket to get the RPMs down a little on the interstate. Might improve fuel economy as well.

Kawasaki makes great motorcycles, and has one of the best factory warranties in the business. You can extend the warranty out to 9 years on some bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Don. Welcome to riderforums. Small world.

Had my 2nd generation 2011 Versys for 4 years, and 30,000 miles of light touring. Did a 15 state, 7000 mile tour, and even put in an 800 mile day once.

With hard bags and taller windshield, I averaged around 50 mpg.

I have gone 225 miles before starting to look for fuel. I don't know if manufacturers tell you the entire fuel capacity, or how much you can use before being in danger of overheating the fuel pump by running it too low.

I had zero issues with mine, and only traded it off because I picked up a lighter FZ-07 to carry in my truck when on work trips I couldn't ride to. The 1st generation had some stator issues, but not sure of the percentage.

When the chain needs adjusting has many variables. Are you fastidious with cleaning and lubing? Do you accelerate hard? Engine brake hard? I am going to guess that I adjusted twice in 15,000 miles.

I believe there are aftermarket centerstands. Check out twistedthrottle.com

Not sure on the RPM at interstate. Never an issue for me. But some owners that spend most of their time on the interstate change out the front sprocket to get the RPMs down a little on the interstate. Might improve fuel economy as well.

Kawasaki makes great motorcycles, and has one of the best factory warranties in the business. You can extend the warranty out to 9 years on some bikes.
Thanks for the info. I guess I won't know if I will want to lower the RPM's until I ride it, but I am going to guess not. It's all a trade-off with things like that and I will be riding the bike in all types of conditions, so I figure those who designed the bike should know the best. But I like the mid-range sound and feel. IMO, Harleys sound like and feel like junk because they rev too low and the rice rockets sound like junk because they rev too high. I even find the TTSE a bit on the high rev side. Every time I take the bike out I try to shift into 7th gear. My 84 Venture is the opposite. I can be in 4th gear on the freeway thinking I am in 5th. Sometimes even while in 3rd. Somewhere between the two bikes RPM ranges would be perfect for me, with a 1200 CC bike in top gear. Of course, the Versy 650 will rev higher being a smaller engine, which I expect.

Which gets the better MPG between your TTSE and your 650 Versy? Sounds like they both get around the same MPG. So the TTSE will have a better range on a tank than the Versy 650, as the TTSE has more than an extra gallon. But a range of better than 225 miles is fine. That will take me between here and my two Reno houses on a single tank of gas.

I think the fuel pump issue going dry on the outside is NOT nearly as much as an issue as some think. There are a lot of small fuel pumps that have fairly high psi that are mounted externally without any problems. I would never worry about the tank going dry for the fuel pump cooling reasons. Think about a EFI boat. It is illegal for the fuel pump to be in the fuel tank (because of possible fuel line leaks, it is much safer to suck gas into and from the engine then push it in from the tank). So not only are these fuel pumps not cooled by fuel, they even get the heat from the engine.

A chain that needs adjustment every 7,500 miles is something that I can tolerate, so no problem there.

-Don- SSF, CA

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I generally ran 4000 to 6000 RPMs on the Versys

3000 to 5000 on the Trophy.

2500 to 3500 on the Harley.

5000 to 8000 on the KLX250S.

I just find where it feels like the engine is being efficient and comfortable, and stay in that range.

Keeping OEM exhaust on all the bikes helps.

Many Harley riders stupidly set the idle rpm too low, and lug the engine. It is not the bike, it is the rider.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
SW-Motech makes a center stand, but it interferes with the sidestand; webBikeWorld has a review and video. Hepco-Becker also makes one, but I haven't read any info on it. I have a '15 but I don't like the fuel mapping and lack of low-RPM torque, so I'm soon getting rid of it. I'm the vast minority, though, as the Versys is very popular everywhere its sold. It handles nearly as well as a sport-bike, and with its low CG feels very light. Honda-quality fit and finish, too. Just not the bike for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A 2014 650 that I picked up 2 months ago is now my daily commuter and this is what I came up with.

70 mph is about 5300 RPM, a very happy spot for this bike. I cruise at 64-ish which is 5k even.

MPG is about 45, but I'm a little heavy handed and run it up to about 8-9k getting on the highway or passing uphill, which I do a lot.

My biggest beef so far, (2 months and 2,000 miles) is the endless rattle out of the instrument cluster. I'll be attacking that (again) this weekend.

Generally loving this bike. Just about perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SW-Motech makes a center stand, but it interferes with the sidestand; webBikeWorld has a review and video. Hepco-Becker also makes one, but I haven't read any info on it. I have a '15 but I don't like the fuel mapping and lack of low-RPM torquel, so I'm soon getting rid of it. I'm the vast minority, though, as the Versys is very popular everywhere its sold. It handles nearly as well as a sport-bike, and with its low CG feels very light. Honda-quality fit and finish, too. Just not the bike for me.
But so far, it sounds like it will be a good bike for me. I have several bikes and I like the new bike feel every time I go from one bike to the other. I want to feel some change and the Versy with the the light feel and low COG will be somewhat like my BMW, but no doubt the Versy will still have a much different feel to it.

-Don- SSF, CA

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
70 mph is about 5300 RPM, a very happy spot for this bike. I cruise at 64-ish which is 5k even.
My 1971 BMW in top gear (4th) is a little less RPM than that, about 5,000 at 70 MPH. Redline is only about 6,500 RPMS in that pushrod engine.

But where is redline on the 650 Versy? I assume it's close to 10K.

-Don- SSF, CA

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
My 1971 BMW in top gear (4th) is a little less RPM than that, about 5,000 at 70 MPH. Redline is only about 6,500 RPMS in that pushrod engine.

But where is redline on the 650 Versy? I assume it's close to 10K.

-Don- SSF, CA
I think it is around 10k. A quick search of the journalist reviews will confirm.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
SW-Motech makes a center stand, but it interferes with the sidestand; webBikeWorld has a review and video. Hepco-Becker also makes one, but I haven't read any info on it. I have a '15 but I don't like the fuel mapping and lack of low-RPM torquel, so I'm soon getting rid of it. I'm the vast minority, though, as the Versys is very popular everywhere its sold. It handles nearly as well as a sport-bike, and with its low CG feels very light. Honda-quality fit and finish, too. Just not the bike for me.
The hooligan factor is what put me over the edge on my '11 Versys. I lofted the front end during a demo ride with just the throttle. Didn't mean to, it just happened. Mine also revved quick.

If your not feeling the low end torque, especially coming off the I-4 ZR7, makes me wonder what's up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The hooligan factor is what put me over the edge on my '11 Versys. I lofted the front end during a demo ride with just the throttle. Didn't mean to, it just happened. Mine also revved quick.

If your not feeling the low end torque, especially coming off the I-4 ZR7, makes me wonder what's up.
Couldn't agree more. My last bike was an 05 ZR-7 and I'm liking the Versys better in every respect. Except for the fact that the front end comes up way too easy, lol. Never been a wheelie guy so I find it a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already purchased my 2016 Black/Orange Versy 650LT. I am having around $2,000.00 worth of accessories added to it, which includes the 2015-2016 non-stock Center Stand.

-Don- Reno, NV

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
I already purchased my 2016 Black/Orange Versy 650LT. I am having around $2,000.00 worth of accessories added to it, which includes the 2015-2016 non-stock Center Stand.

-Don- Reno, NV
Congrats. Now, how many miles will be put on the Versys compared to the Trophy?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats. Now, how many miles will be put on the Versys compared to the Trophy?
I will try to give near equal time to all five of my bikes, but that will be greatly influenced by where I am going and how far. But most of the time, I neither know where I am going, nor how far, since I usually am just going for the ride.

It will also be influenced by the weather. My BMW has no fairing, gets the full wind and is my hot weather summer bike. The TTSE with the traction control and heated seat and grips is my cold weather winter bike.

-Don- Reno, NV

1 - 14 of 14 Posts