RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I have on order a RAM mount for my Nuvi GPS but it's not here yet. I took the default suction mount that normally go on the car windshield and placed it onto my tank. It seems to have a good tight suction but am I asking for trouble here? Will it withstand 65-75mph wind in the location I had it mounted?

I am leaving for a 200 mile trip to visit my sister and this is my first time travelling there. The GPS will help but has anyone else done this and what are the results?

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I think with the wind, vibes and heat it'll come off.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I wouldn't get too wrapped up about windshield mounts on a motorcycle. There aren't many options for mounts and you don't look through the shield on a 650 so it's not going to be a problem with blocking any views. On a tourer where you look through the shield, yes, it may draw some attention.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got a cheapo handbar clamp mount for my Nuvi. Ebay special - $1.00 out of China plus about 3 bucks shipping. Works great. It has the ball on the end and my cradle snaps on to the ball. I wouldn't trust the suction cup. Can't tell you how many times mine has fallen off my windshield.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personal empirical experience says it's a bad idea! I put one on my tank to test it, with no electronics on the mount. It stayed for two days to and from work, third day it was on the garage floor. Go for a clamp mount; I made one out of a bicycle reflector mount made to go around a bike frame :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Wrap some dummy cord around it..... Suction mounts tend to give out at the absolute worst possible times - like in the middle of the highway. How much is your GPS worth to you is the more relevant question.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wrap some dummy cord around it..... Suction mounts tend to give out at the absolute worst possible times - like in the middle of the highway. How much is your GPS worth to you is the more relevant question.
LOL...the GPS did fall off during my trip to my sister's home but fortunately the wind pressure sent it against my chest, down into my crotch area where it stay until I slowed to the shoulders and stash it away.

Suction cup = NO NO....lol.

·
Banned
679 Posts
LOL...the GPS did fall off during my trip to my sister's home but fortunately the wind pressure sent it against my chest, down into my crotch area where it stay until I slowed to the shoulders and stash it away.

Suction cup = NO NO....lol.
I have a see thru magnetic tank bag that I hold directions/gps in whenever I need them, works well. Avoids the hastle/cost of mounting it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
easy solution

get a u-bolt ball mount and mount it on your handlebar. get a medium length arm and a diamond ball mount for the back of your ram holder. I get all my RAM stuff from whitehorse gear. They are in NH (where i live) and have everything you need. 22 bucks TOPS including the holder you already bought!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.