RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 2012 ninja 650. its all green and all stock. i want to upgrade the performace and appearance. mind helping me out with a list of upgrades? also a big thing is that it tops at 125 so any upgrades that will increase top speed? thanks everyone!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ninja650shop.com
blueridgeperformance.net

Pick the stuff you want. Suspension needs some upgrading. Add Power Commander V with auto tune. Go full exhaust ie Header & canister (watch youtube vids for sound). Cosmetics are your preference.

If you want more speed than 125mph you bought the wrong bike! Should have bought a ZX-14R, S1000RR, R1, CBR1000RR, GSXR1000, Daytona 675R... need I go on?

You can drop a tooth or 2 on the rear sprocket. Might net you some top speed at the expense of acceleration. Eventually this bike will just top out from aerodynamic drag though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
First and foremost you need to put the correct stiffness springs in the front. Kawasaki put way way too stiff of springs in the front and it makes the bike less stable at speed and in turns. That is the cheapest mod that will make the biggest difference in how the bike rides. Next, you need to give up the idea of going faster then 125mph. If you threw everything you can buy at it you might get 5mph more. Visually you can do a crap load of stuff. Some of the most popular things are rim tape, clutch/brake levers, and tinted windscreen. Go to the pics thread and look through there.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Green,

Suspension and Chainset! front springs immediately....... Rear Shock next. Also check your chain set and see if you're happy with the gearing...... most of Us have changed out our sets and added a front tooth or subtracted 2 in the rear.

From there, you will have a new feel for the machine and then can methodically deduce which direction to take next!

BTW welcome to the forum, Same Bike as you!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Faster than 125? Well I've had it at 130....

Don't upgrade anything, ride the wheels off it.

Then do suspension as you see fit, gearing, exhaust, PCV, and comfort.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have an 2011 and yes it is the same. Way to stiff of springs reducing stability and comfort.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Springs on the 2012 are a bit softer than the previous model, I kind of wish they were stiffer for faster riding.

125 mph is not fast enought - seriously? That is fast enough to put you in jail. The bike is best suited for twisties - than the drag strip - IMO.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Springs on the 2012 are a bit softer than the previous model, I kind of wish they were stiffer for faster riding.

125 mph is not fast enought - seriously? That is fast enough to put you in jail. The bike is best suited for twisties - than the drag strip - IMO.
Dia,

I'd be happy to sell you not one set but two sets of Stock Springs! Woot Woot....... Then again, so would many others!
2011 and 2012! HA!! That's too funny!!!!

Anyone else want to sell Diavelninja front stock springs with less than 500 miles?

Cheers

·
Registered
493 Posts
Dia,

I'd be happy to sell you not one set but two sets of Stock Springs! Woot Woot....... Then again, so would many others!
2011 and 2012! HA!! That's too funny!!!!

Cheers
Ha - thanks Brad. I prefer to spend my time riding, than tinkering with things that make a minor difference. Life is too short - ride as much as possible.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I kind of wish they were stiffer for faster riding.
Unless you weigh about 400 pounds you really have no clue about motorcycle suspension. I'm not trying to challenge you or insult you. I'm just stating a fact. The stock springs are drastically too stiff and reduce the stability of the bike in all instances. Do some research, measure your suspension sag, and you will see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the advice. im not going to worry about top speed. realizing the fun is in the acceleration so im going to go with changing out the sprockets for that faster acceleration. also want to get a slip-on exhaust so i can be heard cause the 650s are quiet or at least mine is. i cant really say i have any issues with the suspension. im only 5'8" 165 lbs. cosmetics wise ill get a fender eliminator kit then just change out the pegs, clutch and brake levers to green, get some green rim tape, and make a smoked windscreen. would like to put halo or angel eye headlights in but theyre expensive. with all that being said, do any of you know the right sprockets i should look into and a decent slip-on exhaust? as well as any other cosmetic mods? thanks again!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Unless you weigh about 400 pounds you really have no clue about motorcycle suspension. I'm not trying to challenge you or insult you. I'm just stating a fact. The stock springs are drastically too stiff and reduce the stability of the bike in all instances. Do some research, measure your suspension sag, and you will see.
JD,

I know a fair share about suspension (off road and road) and the sag on my 2012 for my 185lb frame is outside the range. Without any preload adjustment caps on the front...not really a lot of flexibility to dial it in, beside cutting some spaces (with trial and error). Really, for what the bike is, it's good enough for now. Some things just have to be compromised for the price range.

Noticed you have a 2011, which is a bit different than the revised 2012+ model. Revised settings for the 2012 model made it a lot softer (more to suspension than just the springs). Verified by every test of the 2012 revised model by all the moto journalists.

Right off Kawasaki's site...
• Revised settings on the 41mm conventional fork and preload-adjustable laydown shock offer more travel for improved ride comfort and exceptional wheel control

Cheers...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Green,

Suspension and Chainset! front springs immediately....... Rear Shock next. Also check your chain set and see if you're happy with the gearing...... most of Us have changed out our sets and added a front tooth or subtracted 2 in the rear.

From there, you will have a new feel for the machine and then can methodically deduce which direction to take next!

BTW welcome to the forum, Same Bike as you!

Cheers

Brad,
Is there a chain-set you recommend? Brand? I'm not looking for faster as this is my daily driver in the nice weather.

Thx.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Question about the front springs. I have a 2010, anyone have any recs for swapping the stock springs?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Brad,
Is there a chain-set you recommend? Brand? I'm not looking for faster as this is my daily driver in the nice weather.

Thx.
Jeep,

Is the Pope catholic? LOL my forum brother! Yes, Yes, and Yes! We love RK and DID's. Why? Because we have proven those chain sets year after year! On a plethora of bikes and in many on road and off road conditions!

As far as the Sprokets, love, love, love, Supersprox! Oh those damn things last forever! Never bend, warp, destroy themselves or even seem to have noticeable tooth wear.......it's kind of freaky actually! As far as a good stand in or second favorite....... Sunline and Tag sprockets, a bit heavier but make it through a race season easily!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Diavelninja,

Ok you're officially scaring me! Did I read that right? Your sole basis for making a cognoscente evaluation and technical conclusion between the 2011 and a 2012's suspension was a journalists comparison and what the manufacturer advertised? Did I get that right?

It would behoove you to at least listen to the wisdom and experience of the members on this forum before putting stock in anything you read. :stfu:

Let me educate you real quick: A picture is worth a thousand words.......

Dia1.jpg

The Picture is our lowers and Damper Cylinder Assemblies. The one on the left, a 2011. The one on the right a 2012. These are the only parts that differ between the 2 model years.

Any questions Diavelninja? Would you like to tell our forum brothers and sisters what the obvious differences or in your word: "revisions" there are that you see?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts