RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the works of buying a 2003 ZR7s from a friend. He just recently got the bike he wanted and sold me the ZR7s for cheap. The previous owner before him was an idiot. Let's start off with the fact he stored it with fuel still in the carb/tank. It starts, but will barley leave choke and will cut off (most likely due to that reason). So I am going to clean the carb shortly. But the real issue at hand (and the reason this is in "Performance Upgrades") is the fact this guy went with a straight pipe and pod filters; no trace of the original muffler or airbox.

I need advice. I actually like the sound of the bike right now with the mods, and wouldn't mind keeping it the way it is but also wouldn't mind restoring it or modding it futher. My main concern is budget and functionality. I need this bike to function but don't want to pay more than it's worth to get it there. What route should I go? (No muffler, muffler/what kind. pods, no pods/alternative? Jet kit/what kind, no jet kit. etc) I should also add that I live in Colorado Springs, high elevation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
my opinion leave the pods, will be much more easy to work on carbs in the future, the zr7 airbox is a pain to work with, the muffler i do not know how it is in US about regulations, in europe straight pipe is a way to get a police ticket.
clean the carbs, get a muffler, sync the carbs, do not change jets (the only big difference you will see is in less mpg) and tune the carb to go with your pods.
anyway there is not too much you can do to mod a zr7 regarding perfomance, will always be a engine not powerfull but reliable, a good home-work moto, if you want to go fast them i suggest to get another bike.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I'd throw a muffler on it and keep your eyes open for an air box assembly. While pods are fully functional I've heard some stories they don't like getting wet. I don't know what types of weather you like to ride in.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
once you get an airbox, the trick to getting the rubber boots back on between the carbs and airbox is to put them in hot water to soften them up and feed them though the airbox

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
once you get an airbox, the trick to getting the rubber boots back on between the carbs and airbox is to put them in hot water to soften them up and feed them though the airbox
I never had any problems with inserting them between the carbs and airbox - except when I mixed up 2 of them once. Each boot has it's specific spot. A few scraped knuckles are to be expected, especially for those of us with larger hands. Those airboxes are small :) But if it helps you by heating them, by all means fill your boots.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
step 1...take the carbs off and strip em...soak the bodys in pinsole for 6 hours
step 2 blow out carbs with carb clean and 120psi of air from an air compressor
step3 inspect
step 4 inspect again
step 5 spray them out with more carb clean and 120psi..cause you probably missed something tiny

step6 set check the jets and compare to "stock"
sstep 7 set the carbs to factory specs but adjust the extra ...how much was it guys someone chime in..i forget but know these run lean
step 8 put a can on it of some kind..open pipe is going to be HELL to tune
step 9 get a cheep sync tool and sync her up

now onto the air box vs pods....if you EVER have a chance of rain/wet...lose the pods for a propper box..if you insist on not going with a box..see if you can find either 1 large 4 carb foam filter..or 4 single foam filters for like a 125 dirt bike..the reason for foam is 2 fold.. the restriction causes vacume and helps the carbs work secodntly the foam oiled filter filters the air MUCH better while making it MUCH more dificult for water to get in.....pods are designed for WOT only and not really made for part throttle..so youll never acuratly tune it with pods

once you understand that a zr7 is GREAT at everything...and a very old school SOLID bike youll either love it forever or be off onto looking for a sport bike......many of us have attempted to replace our zr7's....or have parted ways only to come back....the only 2 things i would change on the zr7 is more braking and that missing 6th gear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts