RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first post! I semi-recently acquired an '06 650R with about 15k miles on it, not much was wrong with it outside of a missing footrest, a few scratches, and the fact that it was no muffler/exhaust. It's simply got a short straight pipe welded onto the header, which seems to have been welded back on 3-4 times since the weld is cracking again for me. I'm looking for a decent full system exhaust but finding anything for an '06 650R has proven challenging to me. I could order the stock pipes, and throw on a Two Brothers slip-on but my ideal exhaust would be a full system Akrapovic. It's what my girlfriend has on her bike and it sounds extremely nice :rolleyes:

This is what I was able to find, that wasn't simply a slip-on.
Akrapovic Racing Exhaust System Kawasaki Ninja 650R / ER6n

Now the bike that the exhaust is displayed on in their sample picture is clearly not an '06. It looks like a '12 or similar to me. I don't know much about the installation of a full exhaust system, nor do I know much about the differences between the different year models of the 650Rs. I've been DYI'ing everything, so this is also something I want to do on my own, I just want to know whether this exhaust system will work on my '06 Ninja 650R. Little bit long winded getting to the question :p Whoops.

Here are 3 image links to the 3 different models of 650R up until 2012, since that's what their sample image is on I believe. From purely visual, it appears like the exhaust and the muffler rest in a very similar place through all 3 models, but I don't know if "close enough" is good enough when it comes to this.

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would say not, I believe the 2012 and up are very different from the previous years. I think the 2006 only has a slip on, but being as I've only ever owned my 2014 650r, I'm not positive of the other years setups.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're correct, don't know why I didn't think to check this before, but if you look at the parts individually the 2012 is indeed quite different from the model before it. Although the 2009 appears almost identical to the 2006. Not quite, but almost.

2006 Exhaust/Muffler Layout
2009 Exhaust/Muffler Layout
2012 Exhaust/Muffler Layout

Since the exhaust I initially posted will not work, to my great sadness, anyone have any decent recommendations? I really enjoy the sound of most Akrapovic exhausts if anybody has something similar/an Akrapovic I missed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I want to say I've read of people buying an OEM exhaust pipe used, and then getting a slip on for it. I think the 06 and 09 are interchangeable, but again, not entirely sure. I think the easiest thing would be to buy a used exhaust pipe and get a slip on you want. I've found a few used 06-08 pipes minus the muffler for under $100 on ebay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thank you very much. For some reason I didn't even think of buying the pipes used. Just found a set on Ebay for $130, which is $300 cheaper than ordering from Kawasaki. Also found an Akrapovic slip-on, so if all goes well that should solve my problem. Thank you again!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I want to say I've read of people buying an OEM exhaust pipe used, and then getting a slip on for it. I think the 06 and 09 are interchangeable, but again, not entirely sure. I think the easiest thing would be to buy a used exhaust pipe and get a slip on you want. I've found a few used 06-08 pipes minus the muffler for under $100 on ebay.
Great advice! They are...and this is the best way to save money on a HI-PO exhaust setup for that bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a great condition OEM headers for 2006-2011 models for sale($65 + shipping). My buddy is selling a Leo Vince slipon also in great condition. i think he wants $175. PM me if you are interested.

I had a 2 bros slipon on my 2006. It sounded awful. The LV slipon on my buddy's bike sounded great. Not much louder than stock at idle. But a nice deep sound. On my 2007 I have an LV full system now. I like how it sounds.

I haven't seen a bad looking or sounding Akra system yet. So i think you can't g wrong with them. Btw it might be fairly easy to fit the 2012+ model akra system on the older bike. I know the 2006-11 headers and a slipon can be fitted to the '12+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up finding the OEM headers online for $130 with shipping included. Those are supposed to arrive on Friday, but if they don't or are in worse condition than implied, I'll definitely shoot you a message.

My goal is an Akrapovic though, I haven't heard or seen many LV exhausts to be totally honest, so I just don't have a good reference point. I do know that I love the general Akrapovic sound though. Just need to hope the slip-on for the '06 sounds similar to their other exhausts I have heard.

I was tempted to order the full system for the 2012+ 650's but I honestly don't have the money to be throwing like $935 at a maybe. If I did, I totally would've gone straight for that. I'll get some OEM headers and that gives me options in regards to the slip-ons I can try out. After that I'll have a better feel for what manufacturer's I like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts