RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this item will cause a few doubts (as it did in NASCAR), but it is another step in the right direction, meaning that someone is looking at rider safety. Though made to attach to a "flak-vest", it would be easy to adapt this item to a jacket with a couple straps and some high strength velcro. I've seen something similar that sprint car drivers wear, but I've also seen the prices on them. These start at around $32.00 for the mini size and go up to around $36.00 for the adult size. The covers are an accessory and carry another price, but they aren't necessary unless you want to color coordinate. You can see these at www.procyclesafety.com

·
Dirty Harry.... Moderator
9,816 Posts
HANS...

The late, great, 7 time NASCAR champion, #3, Dale Earnhardt refused to wear the HANS device and even raced in an open faced helmet as does his legacy, Dale Jr. #8.

But, the majority of NASCAR drivers do wear full face helmets and use the "head and neck safety restraint systems, or HANS device (now mandated). This restraint keeps the head and neck attached to the seat of the race car -- helping in violent collisions with concrete walls of NASCAR race tracks. I understand the concept in race cars, and if I was involved in any stock car series, I'd use them.

I'm not sure how useful these devices can be for street riding or even Moto Cross for that matter. The probability for head on collisions with a bike are minimal -- most crashes are "lowsiders" or "highsiders" and I don't think I'd want my head restrained in that manner in that type of crash.

Any other opinions?? Tom ;)

·
Silver Member
881 Posts
Road riders tend to do the roll and bounce crash whereas Moto dudes tend to head plant a lot more. I guess it would be more beneficial during the later, to prevent that whipping motion.

:)

·
West Coast Moderator
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was made to limit neck movement. Something to limit lateral movement in the case of landing on your head like a lawn dart. But I'm sure that there are going to be improvements in these types of devices and it won't be long until they are socially accepted and everyday use items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts