RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I'm new to the site so I'd like to post up what I've been doing to my "new" bike. I know a lot of people don't appreciate this style but for me this is a learning experience. I'm open to all constructive criticism/advice/questions/rants and if this generates interest I'll keep updating as I move forward.

My last bike was a 2008 FJR1300. I rode the hell out of it for a couple years but eventually I degraded in to an occasional commuter. Finally, I realized that my bike was way overkill for my needs and that it was time to downsize. I knew I wanted something other than an inline-4 and it had to be lightweight. I've also had a thing for naked bikes lately so when I saw a thread (on another forum) of a naked ninja, I figured it would be worth looking in to.

A few weeks later I scored a cosmetically thrashed but clean titled '06 650R off craigslist for $1,900... including two bros slip on and a couple other aftermarket goodies.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I spent $400 or so on a knockoff Vrod headlight, turn signals, bars, etc.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Since these were taken, I've decided the clubman bars are not for me and put on a set from Suburban Machinery. Seat/tail chop are coming in the next couple weeks and I'm tossing around some big ideas on cosmetics to be tackled later (winter probably). In the mean time I have a PC5 on order and many common performance mods are forthcoming. Thanks to the advice of Jeffo and his PC5 map, as well as the contributors of this and other forums.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've always wanted to do a super naked bike like that. If I ever wreck my bike and damage the front end, I would... *knock on wood*.
I like the way it look, just not the headlight though. I think it's kinda bulgy. See if you can find cheap single Bi-Xenon projector and mount that up front. It'll output a lot more light and will fit in a standard round motorcycle light.

Suburban Machinery bar is a good choice though. I love those.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the Vrod headlight on a lot of custom Ducatis. Thats the look I was going for but the poor Ninja doesn't pull it off as well so I'll try something else later on. I love those crash bars. One of my long term plans is to ditch the red on the frame though. (I like red, but this shade of it is horrible) I'm thinking of powder coating the frame either black or orange. We'll see when the time comes.

Yesterday I changed to synthetic oil, put in NGK CR9EK plugs, and changed the air filter. I also stripped it of the intake snorkels, secondary butterflies, CA emissions junk, and plugged the PAIR valve. Now I have to get used to it all over again, lol. No more excessive engine braking.

Power commander should be here Tuesday. I can't wait to try out the map I got from Jeffo!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks pretty good. I think the headlight would look good a couple of inches down so it's a bit more centered at the front.

Also time to black out the radiator reservoir.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update:

No pics today but I did install the PC5 with Jeffo's map... and I was FLOORED!! It feels like there is a decent performance boost, but the big difference is how much smoother the engine runs now. No surging, no sputtering, no backfiring. (plugging the PAIR valve reduced backfiring but didn't eliminate it) Very responsive and smooth power through any throttle setting. If you are considering an autotune, go this route instead.

Versys shock and new coolant overflow reservoir are next...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quick update:

No pics today but I did install the PC5 with Jeffo's map... and I was FLOORED!! It feels like there is a decent performance boost, but the big difference is how much smoother the engine runs now. No surging, no sputtering, no backfiring. (plugging the PAIR valve reduced backfiring but didn't eliminate it) Very responsive and smooth power through any throttle setting. If you are considering an autotune, go this route instead.

Versys shock and new coolant overflow reservoir are next...
Can you give MPG numbers with the Jeffo map? I've seen their site and it looks like a good deal, I just hate to spend $50 and get a map that's similar to the canned dynojet maps.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I usually get 40-42 mpg because I commute around 90 mph. I installed and the PC5 and Jeffo map halfway through my last tank and ended up at 44 mpg. I'd like to believe that this would bring my total up to around 46-48 mpg on my next tank but it's too soon to tell. I'll update again after a few tanks but either way it's definitely an improvement.

For what it's worth, I tried several different PC maps on my last bike and never found any that worked as well as this one does on the Ninja.

While I'm at it, here's an updated pic with the versys shock. More here if anyone is considering the swap: http://www.riderforums.com/general-ninja-650r/70670-bumps-killing-me.html?highlight=

9.JPG

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought a MAP from Jeffo. I suggest it for sure.

·
Banned
786 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same (almost) thing to my 09. Mine's red with a silver frame. I thought about powder coating my frame red and painting the tank and fender white, but I think I'll leave the frame alone. I like the vrod light ok...but it does kinda bubble out. There's a pretty sweet post of a guy who did his 650 naked with a frame chop, I'll see if I can find it later.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I like it, how the Versys shock treating you? I would never have thought to swap for that one.

·
Banned
786 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts