RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok everyone, I'm looking for creative opinions. I might be switching to the ducati Diavel carbon instead of the N1K. I'm going to test one on Tuesday and I want other peoples thoughts on it so I can go to the dealer armed with info.

I know some are going to say don't do it, but I have my reasons. Mostly 90% of my riding is to and from work on a 2 lane road. The other times I ride with much slower riders or go to the mountains myself. The Ninja just doesn't give me quite what I want in to many scenarios. For the 98% of the time I'm not riding hard in the mountains is what I'm looking for. I intend to get a older 600 for the 2% of the time I want to ride hard in the mountains.

I don't tour or go on any particularly long rides or do I intend to in the forseable future. So let me hear some opinions. I'm going to do what I what(with wife's approval of course) but I want to hear what others think. Thanks for letting me babble for a bit.

One last thing this isn't a done deal, I may hate the bike in person though I doubt that :)

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
actually, I say go for it and I think the Diavel is a sharp lady all her own. You know how you ride and what you want to get out your girl, so buy it and enjoy ( per your wife's blessing of course)
you can get a beat on bike fairly cheap if you want something to beat on

·
Registered
7 Posts
I say go for it. Do what makes you happy. I wonder many times if I hadn't been happier with what i really drool over, the Guzzi Griso 8V SE.

But what do you feel like the Diavel will do for you that your Ninja didn't?

I know what, just buy the Duc, and give me all the extra **** you put on your Ninja. :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
actually, I say go for it and I think the Dieval is a sharp lady all her own. You know how you ride and what you want to get out your girl, so buy it and enjoy ( per your wife's blessing of course)
you can get a beat on bike fairly cheap if you want something to beat on
Yea, what he said.

I've owned a couple of Ducati's, the most recent a 2010 Monster 1100 but sold it to pick up a track bike (agreement with wife is to only have so may in the stable at one time). I miss the sound and feel of the Ducati twin and I always had wished the monster had more power. So, in my opinion the Diavel would be a great way to have an Italian bike with that beautiful L twin sound and feel for those times you just want to cruise around and on ocation run down a V-Rod or something. I'm sure it would be a nice commuter as well, but the N1K works well for me as commuter bike.

Look forward to hearing what you think of the Diavel, I'm curious as to how much the front end blocks the wind simply se you sit so much into the bike and there is a lot of the bike literally in front of you.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Argh, you guys arnt helping! I do like the feedback I'm just kiddin because I already do want it but I'll see how much I want it.

There a couple of things I don't like about the n1k which aren't the end all but I can try a different bike and maybe be happier. I dont like the vibes at all really. The frequency is different than most any bike I've ever ridden and I don't really like them. I had a buell before so I know vibes, this bike just vibes me the wrong way. Another thing is the suspension, it's not terrible but it's far from great. I know why people put 800$ rear shocks on to say the least. I think the worst part is physical on my part. The riding position hurts my back after awhile. My lower back starts hurting after awhile so I can't stay in the saddle to long without discomfort. That and my rear end starts to hurt, even with the Sargent seat.(the Sargent seat is an improvement indeed, I just can't sit still to long on anything)

I do like my ninja but the ride to the mountains today got me thinking a lot. I was disappointed with myself and the bike today, we just didn't sync well at all. I got the n1k instead of a zx10 or gsxr 1000 again because I thought the Ninga would be far more comfortable but I just don't feel that way. Again I'm just babbling, come Tuesday when it's time to put down cash, I may not be able to put the 20k down for a toy.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O and if I do sell my bike I most likely will pull off the parts, I kept all the stock stuff. It depends on a lot of things, we shall see

·
Registered
89 Posts
Everyone is a bit different, so whatever works for you is of course most important.

As a long time Ducati owner, I wouldn't steer anyone away from one. At the same time, you want to go in with your eyes open, in particular with respect to maintenance. Valve adjustment interval and the costs for adjusting the desmo valve train are about twice as frequent and twice as costly as a typical Japanese inline 4. Normally I'd also mention that making sure their is a good service provider in your area is critical too, but I know Atlanta has at least one good service center and most likely there are a couple to choose from. Parts are a bit more expensive too and the stock suspension is typically not the greatest, which makes up buying the models with Ohlins generally the right thing to do.

Depending on your taste and stature, you also might want to consider getting a Multistrada 1200. I've got a couple of friends with these and they can't say enough good things about them.

With respect to the N1k. I've gone to a top shelf synthetic oil, and have extra heavy bar end weights from Manic Salamander and with a number of miles, vibration has become much lower than it was when new. Of course that doesn't do anything for the seating position, although a set of Convertibars might be a solution worth looking into.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I test drove a diavel. When it was all said and done, I was so happy to be back on my N1K!! If it's vibes you don't like, you will most likely not be happy with the diavel. With the L twin rumbling underneath you, the bike is full of vibes. The N1K is smooth as glass in compariso. Then there's the gearing and powerband. Much like most other Ducati's/ v twins that I've ridden, you're all over the shifter and clutch just to stay in a useable powerband while driving around town, whereas on our bikes, you can pop it in any gear you want and either cruise or haul a**. The diavel has very on/off choppy power, and I did play with all 3 modes.
Now, don't get me wrong. The bike is dead sexy and has an animalistic, raucous character. If I could afford both bikes without batting an eyelash, I would've bought it on the spot. But, as soon as I got back on the N1K, I had a big smile on my face. I was glad I test drove it so I could get the 20 thousand dollar Italian monkey off my back and get back to enjoying my bought and paid for N1K! Finances willing, I'd love to own both one day. But if I could only have one, I'll choose the N1K any day.
But that's up to you! Go, enjoy the test drive, and see what you think! It's a beautiful, charismatic bike with loads of character and a raucous spirit. Be sure to let us know what you decide, and if you're selling your aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More good insight, just what I was looking for. Ray, you got the wrong engine for the Diavel, I believe it has the same engine as the multistrada and service intervals of 15k miles so it's *supposed to be more street oriented.

Jay great compare. It doesn't match anything of read online but that's why I wanted other people's opinions. I don't mind vibes really but the frequency that the n1k vibes at is different that the Diavel I'm guessing. I'll have to put my two cents in after I get my ride in. The guy said they could let me ride one so I'll have to wait till Tuesday. Hopefully it has the same effect on me and I just keep the n1k my bank and wife will be happier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Careful what you wish for!! Every bike is by design a compromise. Nirvana looks sweet in magazines and at the dealership but it in reality it never delivers. It's ever so illusive and ever so unobtainable. The Diavel will thank you all the way to the bank. Know that you are helping get Italy's economy get back on track. I say go ahead and do it. The only way to satisfy lust for the Devil is to take it from the showroom and put it in your garage. Be forwarned, this cycle is never ends.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recenlty went on a bike ride with 1000+ bikes north of Madison Wisconsin. Every bike you could think of was there. There was one Diavel there and it seemed to have more eyes on it than any other bike. It was dead sexy. In the looks department I give it 2 thumbs up. The owner also said he loved the bike. I thought it felt really light too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jay great compare. It doesn't match anything of read online but that's why I wanted other people's opinions. I don't mind vibes really but the frequency that the n1k vibes at is different that the Diavel I'm guessing. I'll have to put my two cents in after I get my ride in. The guy said they could let me ride one so I'll have to wait till Tuesday. Hopefully it has the same effect on me and I just keep the n1k my bank and wife will be happier.
You're right about the vibes. The N1K's vibes are much higher frequency and more buzzy. The Diavel is lower frequency, more of a thumpy rumble. It didn't seem like anything I've read either, but that's probably because no one has written a comparison to the N1K. Then these disparities would probably come to light. Don't get me wrong, you'll probably love it for what it is, but it's such a different riding style such a different experience, and such an entirely different animal than the N1K, they feel like they are polar opposites on the motorcycle riding experience. But hell yeah I'd buy one if I had spare "play money". Not as a replacement though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
JD.. don't even bother with a 600 for your 2% twisty high.... from what I've seen/read that fat *** Diavel supposedly handles really well for what it is,,never rode one to confirm, but sure is comfy to sit on.... it most likely will not be as flickable as a 600.. but I'm sure an experienced rider will have thier way with her.... was thinking about it myself after sitting on one, and hearing one with a pipe,, super sexy bike,, but realized I'm a broke arse 9-5er, and the thought dissapeared

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I would* go buy it if money wasn't a consideration but it does cost twice as much....

I've been doing a lot of research and I haven't seen really any bad feedback from anyone who actually owns the bike. People are pretty impressed with it that's for sure. It seems that it would fit my needs better than the ninja, as I like riding to work on a Harley better because it's more comfortable. That and the speed limit is like 45 if you can manage to have not Atlanta traffic which almost never happens.

Another thing that concerned me was insurance being that the bike is double the cost and higher horsepower, but I got quoted 4$ less each month :)

Last thing is finding a value for my bike. There are none on eBay or craigslist so I don't have to compare to. That is prob. A good thing for me if someone wants to buy the bike they won't have many options.

Forgot to add, the Diavel is supposed to have great steering which will be fine for most of my riding. The 2% and what I really enjoy the most about motorcycle riding is putting a knee down, and well unless I just hang off the Diavel I just don't think that will happen.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Daivel & Multistrada = fugly

OTOH, MV Agusta = pure sex
that new triple is very SEXY for sure BUT AND IF

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for me I would love to have a white Multistrada in my drive way...not as my one and only but without a doubt my second !!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah I would* go buy it if money wasn't a consideration but it does cost twice as much....

I've been doing a lot of research and I haven't seen really any bad feedback from anyone who actually owns the bike. People are pretty impressed with it that's for sure. It seems that it would fit my needs better than the ninja, as I like riding to work on a Harley better because it's more comfortable. That and the speed limit is like 45 if you can manage to have not Atlanta traffic which almost never happens.

Another thing that concerned me was insurance being that the bike is double the cost and higher horsepower, but I got quoted 4$ less each month :)

Last thing is finding a value for my bike. There are none on eBay or craigslist so I don't have to compare to. That is prob. A good thing for me if someone wants to buy the bike they won't have many options.

Forgot to add, the Diavel is supposed to have great steering which will be fine for most of my riding. The 2% and what I really enjoy the most about motorcycle riding is putting a knee down, and well unless I just hang off the Diavel I just don't think that will happen.
The Ducati dealership I went to offered me a little less than 9 grand for my bike, I think, and that was several months and several thousand miles ago. I wasn't willing to take that much of a hit with less than 2K on the clock.
The only way to know fr sure will be to test drive it! Do it up and let us know what you think!

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I asked the dealer for a guestimate and they said wholesale somewhere around 8-9k so it's listed locally. Won't buy a new one unless this one sells. Hopefully if it isn't raining I'll get a ride in tomorrow and maybe some pictures

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd have to say the only thing I don't like about my Z1k is the vibes - though sometimes they bother me and sometimes they don't - they are a harsh high-pitched type of vibration though that is for sure.. Depends how hard you're riding the bike though - if someone is just cruising around on these bikes they are smooth as silk - it's only in the zone where you're really ripping on it that the vibes are much an issue.. LOL, that's the zone I like to be in much of the time though..

Diavel looks like a great choice though - that's a bike I'd like to own though I think I'd rather have my Z1k overall at this point - the Z1K/N1K are going to handle much better I am sure - be more nimble in traffic too which is important to me..

1 - 20 of 78 Posts