RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
N1K Mudflap Mod - now one on the front too

Something I do to all my bikes is make a mudflap to go in front of the rear tire to keep water, dirt, mud, gunk from getting slung around the suspension linkage, exhaust, engine/swingarm area, etc. I found the N1K to be in need of a mudflap worse than any other bike I've had so far. It has a huge area to allow gunk through and also to cake on top of the cat conv.

Vehicle Bumper Auto part Tire Suspension

I went to Walmart looking around for some black plastic item to be a donor for material to make the mudflap from. This garbage can was the best thing I found. The large flat sides felt like they had the flexibility needed to form to the hugger and profile up under there. Plus it was only like $3, so that was a good thing too.

Auto part Automotive exterior Wheel

I went to Lowes looking around for some sort of fastener to use and found these plastic push rivets, which worked out perfect.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want this mudflap to be removable, but I do NOT want it to come off. If this thing came off while leaned into a curve it would be a BAD day for sure. I picked up some Scotch All Weather Fasteners - which is really 3M Dual-Lock, which is super heavy duty industrial type plastic velcro. If you've never used this stuff, you don't know what you're missing. It is AWESOME. Whatever you stick down with this WILL NOT fall off, heck, it's hard to pull it apart when you are trying.

Material property Office equipment Label

Text Font Wall Label Rectangle

I cut one side out of the garbage can that measured 8" x 12" which is just about right for the width and length I wanted. After holding it up and mocking around with it I used a strip of tape to get an even line across the inside of the hugger. From the bottom of the tape down to the top of the swingarm cross brace was 5". This ensured the tape was level and gave me a good reference point to apply some measurements to mark my holes to drill.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Wheel

It is hard to see, but on the tape I basically measured from where the hugger rounds over on the inside. This width across was 8". So, I split that and marked the center line on the tape at 4".

Then, from the center line, I made a mark 2 1/4" to the left and to the right. This is where I would drill my holes, but I wanted them a little higher up, so I measured from the bottom of the strip of tape up 1 1/4" and made the + there to drill the holes. I drilled first with a small bit to get a pilot hole, then drilled the 1/4" hole for the push rivets. I hope this pic helps explain what I just said.

Text Font Beige Footwear Wood

Once the hugger was drilled, I applied some tape to the mudflap and marked measurements to correspond with the hugger. 4" center line, then 2 1/4" to each side of that. I measured down from the top of the mudflap 3/4" to make the + for the hole location.

Black Wall Wood Line Material property

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Once I tested fitted the mudflap and plastic rivets and was sure everything was going to line up and work, I used a heat gun and got the mudflap a little warm so I could put some shape into it and get it to fit the profile inside the hugger both side to side and up and down. I cleaned the swingarm cross brace and backside of the mudflap with rubbing alcohol to be sure the 3M Dual Lock sticks good. I Cut the strips of Dual Lock 1 1/2" long and snapped the two pieces together. Then I peeled the backing off one side and stuck it to the swingarm cross brace.

Vehicle Bumper

NOTE - when using these plastic rivets you HAVE to get your holes lined up VERY CLOSE.

I used thin plastic washers on the bottom side of the mudflap to be sure the rivets were holding two pieces of plastic (hugger and mudflap) TIGHT.

Once I got the rivets popped in and the mudflap fastened in place, I laid down on the garage floor and pulled the bottom of the mudflap out enough to get my hand up behind it and peeled the backing off that side of the Dual Lock and then stuck the mudflap to it. The sharpie marks you see are where I marked areas to apply the heat gun to and shape it.

It's not the best looking one I've made as my boys were "helping" me, but it doesn't have to be as no one will ever really see it anyway. I am not sure how well the heat from the cat will treat it, it may melt a little, but I'll wait and see. I may end up having to trim a little off the bottom.

And here's the view from the top side.

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Tire Car

You'd be surprised at how much cleaner a mudflap like this keeps the bike, it is WELL worth doing. I don't like my bikes to be grungy looking ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
That is a pretty good idea. I hate cleaning the underside of the bike.

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Great idea! The linkage should really be torn down yearly (if not sooner) to make sure its not corroded. You mod makes this a non issue. Plus, even I can afford a garbage can...well, if I finance it! I bet this wont be the only bike I have that gets this mod. It will be even more
valuable on my yz 250.

Reactions: NJA 1K

·
Registered
270 Posts
when i clicked on the thread i was expecting a butchered mudflap extension going upwards :D. this was a nice surprise and great idea, will get mine done soon

·
Registered
545 Posts
very good idea
i also see you have a aux socket under the tail
i also used that location for my aux socket my battery charger has the male end so its duel purpose

·
Registered
297 Posts
Seriously good idea, well done. I'm adding this to the to-do list.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I like this idea... might be worth a try the next time I pull the rear wheel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks like someone has been around a motocross bike and went "Wow, that makes a lot of sense!"

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like someone has been around a motocross bike and went "Wow, that makes a lot of sense!"
Haha, yea, there's 5 dirtbikes in the garage that the pics aren't showing :swink:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Haha, yea, there's 5 dirtbikes in the garage that the pics aren't showing :swink:

Really clean job. If you cleaned up the edges of the trash can/mudflap, it would actually look factory.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Really clean job. If you cleaned up the edges of the trash can/mudflap, it would actually look factory.
I don't know much about working with plastic, how would you clean up a cut edge to look like it was formed/molded?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know much about working with plastic, how would you clean up a cut edge to look like it was formed/molded?
I cut it out with a Dremel and cutoff wheel and holding that large flexible piece sturdy was a little difficult. I could have laid it on my workbench and cut it a lot better but didn't want to cover everything else on the workbench with plastic dust. Also, you can use a file and/or sand paper to make the cut edges look factory formed. I cut the side panels on my YZ250 down and finished them that way and you can't tell they didn't come that way. BUT, they are out in plain sight, this mudflap isn't so I wasn't really worried about it. You guys that see these pics are the only ones that will likely ever know it's there anyway.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I cut it out with a Dremel and cutoff wheel and holding that large flexible piece sturdy was a little difficult. I could have laid it on my workbench and cut it a lot better but didn't want to cover everything else on the workbench with plastic dust. Also, you can use a file and/or sand paper to make the cut edges look factory formed. I cut the side panels on my YZ250 down and finished them that way and you can't tell they didn't come that way. BUT, they are out in plain sight, this mudflap isn't so I wasn't really worried about it. You guys that see these pics are the only ones that will likely ever know it's there anyway.

You can also use a little heat to "smooth" the edges. Definitely wasn't hating Number9, and no it doesn't realy matter unless you are an anal retentive weirdo... like me. My friends were amazed that I had washed my bike three times in the first week I had it. I told them that I'm used to washing my bikes after every ride (motocross), so not washing it everytime I got home was taking some getting used to. Also, on dirt bikes I clean inside the airbox, and remove all the plastics everytime I wash the bike... I'm a little nuts.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I've already added a Fenda Extenda, but there was still a 5" gap to allow the front tire to sling road grim back inside the fairing toward the radiator, headers, engine and worse, oil filter area. Also, since my lowers are white, they are nice and white inside too and will look really bad with a bunch of road grime back inside them, as it can be seen from just standing beside the bike.

So, I cut up the other side of the garbage can and made a mudflap to go on the bottom of the Fenda Extenda.

I measured with the bike on stands so the forks were fully extended and decided 4" long down from the bottom edge of the Fenda Extenda would be long enough and also allow room to keep the mudflap from contacting the leading edge of the lower fairing during suspension movement.

I removed the fender and made a template out of a 24-pack Coke box cardboard. I transferred the round end of the Fenda Extenda to the template. Next, I traced the template out on the plastic and cut it out with the Dremel and cutoff wheel. This time I took more time to get the cut nice and dressed the edges nice with a file and some 400 grit sandpaper.

Green Yellow Purple Textile Rectangle

The finished size is 8" long x 6 1/8" wide. I made a mark at 4" to be sure I kept only 4" extending below the Fenda Extenda.

Finger Textile Rectangle Paper

Green Placemat Rectangle Book Leather

I laid the mudflap on my leg and put some heat on it with the heat gun to shape it to match the Fenda Extenda.

Lampshade Lighting accessory Metal Beige

I cleaned both pieces with rubbing alcohol and applied some 3M double sided automotive trim tape.

Moka pot Personal protective equipment Armour Breastplate

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carefully stuck the mudflap in place and made sure it was stuck to the tape nice and tight. Yea, it does look goofy here....

Fender

But once on the bike you can't notice it that good, unless you look. And it should keep the parts on the bike I was concerned about MUCH cleaner. It reduced the gap for road grime to get through from 5" to about 1 1/2".

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire

Now, I need to stop modding this thing and actually go out and ride it!!!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I should update that I went back yesterday and added two 6mm pan head screws with locknuts to the Fenda Extenda and mudflap. I'll get the pics up soon.

Rode the bike today and the mudflaps worked fine.

ETA - added the pics.....

Fender

Automotive exterior Metal Fender Table

1 - 20 of 44 Posts