RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted my winter outfit last year, a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket and pants, both in 2XL. I have lost maybe 5 pounds and it's really a little loose, especially the pants. I wear this outfit over regular clothes, so it is good for winter. Fortunately, the pants have belt loops all around and I can cinch up my 511 Tactical Operator belt to keep everything in place. The jacket has four loops to attach to the belt, so I can keep the outfit together and snugged pretty well. I have just over 1400 miles in this outfit and have no complaints as long as it's cool outside. There are just a few small vents and it IS black and I DID purchase this as a winter outfit, so I really can't complain. The full sleeve thermal liner works well. My only true complaint is that the pants do not have a side zipper so you can remove them without taking your boots off. I always ride with the hi-viz vest shown when I'm in this outfit.
LoViz.jpg HiViz.jpg

Okay, now to the summer outfit that just arrived today; a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket in the NEW silver color and Phoenix 3.0 pants in gray, both in XL (not 2XL). The nice thing about this combo is the dark mesh on the jacket matches the mesh on the pants. It is obvious that the pants are darker, but the mesh being the same color ties the two together very well. It doesn't look like it in the back photo, but the lighter color on the pants is the mesh that matches the darker color mesh in the middle of the jacket. An optical illusion because of the surrounding colors are the opposite. Don't know if JR planned this, but it works very well together. The fit is perfect with just a poly undershirt and shorts. I'm 6'3 235-240 pounds.
IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2753.JPG IMG_2754.JPG

I bought the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 gloves with white accents, but one of them had a hole in the finger on arrival so I'm returning them. I did not care for the feel of those gloves, so I will stick with my Sedici Diavolo gloves until I can try on something cooler in person.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I love the color. Looks good!
Do you / will you still do the vest with the new outfit?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Do you have an outfit for the dog? :) JK... Looks good..

I have some Joe Rocket jackets but recently switched to the ICON Contra... The ICON is much nicer (solid) in my opinion. I picked up some ICON Over pants to match it and don't like the pants as they appear to cater to taller people and the knee guards are out of position even with three adjustable settings for them. I run with my snowmobile over pants from Arctiva which fit me better.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will still do the vest as I am a big believer in big, made up words like conspicuity. My dog doesn't like four wheels, much less two. He always likes to be in the pics, though. I had to shoo him out of the new ones. I don't want his identity stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put 200 miles on the new outfit in 80-85F 75% humidity weather, plus some on and off rain. Did a little storm chasing/running away also. I LOVE this outfit. The fit is good, except I wish I had two more inches of length in the legs, but this is always an issue for me. I may figure out a way to do some home made stirrups to strap the pants legs to my boots. I wore a short sleeve poly shirt and compression shorts underneath and my hi-viz vest on top. This stuff is lightweight and obviously has good airflow. My favorite feature is the placement of the two zipper pockets on top of the thighs. They are deep and easily accessed both standing and sitting. I'm going to move the protectors to the other pocket to see if I get a better fit, especially in the knees. LOVING the silver and gray color.

I got a bonafide 53MPG on this trip. Mostly 55mph undivided highway, but also about 30 miles of 65-75mph interstate, and some idling in towns. This is pretty good.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I like your summer outfit Flip, it seems to be a good compromise. I do like Joe Rocket, I've been wearing their stuff for 15+ years now. I also wear Cortech gear and have a couple of Vanson jackets. Question how do you like the Shoei GT Air ?

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like your summer outfit Flip, it seems to be a good compromise. I do like Joe Rocket, I've been wearing their stuff for 15+ years now. I also wear Cortech gear and have a couple of Vanson jackets. Question how do you like the Shoei GT Air ?
Here are the threads with all my posts about the GT-Air:

And this one: http://www.RiderForums.com/3rd-gen-z1000-z1000sx-ninja-1000/81753-anyone-seen-new-shoei.html

At first, I was very happy. But now I think I purchased one size too big because it has loosened up on me. I also don't like that the drop visor wants to fog 100% of the time if it spends any time retracted in summer heat. The helmet's ventilation does nothing to keep the visor from fogging inside the helmet. Other than that, it is a nice helmet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got the same atomic jacket as you! Loved it as the season started up, with cooler mornings and evenings commuting to work... But now with the 80+ temps and lots of humidity, I definitely need something else!

Hows the fit on the Phoenix? My one complaint with the atomic (in size Large) is that I'm skinny and around the middle feels puffy. It does almost look like the phoenix might have a different cut from the pictures but would love your opinion

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry it took a long time for me to reply. The pictures are deceiving because the Atomic is 2X with the fleece liner installed and I have on street clothes underneath. The Phoenix is just XL and I just have compression clothes underneath without the rain liner. So I really can't give you an apples to apples comparison. However, I have tried on a 2X Phoenix in a store and I think the cut will be similar to a same size Atomic. Just remember that the liners are different. I went down a full size when I got my Phoenix. The sleeve is an inch shorter and I can tell.

My opinion based on your description of the Atomic is you needed a Medium. I used to laugh at the Revzilla videos because the model would be about my size and he would be wearing one or two sizes smaller than what I thought I needed. I am finding out that you don't want your riding clothes to be too big. You want them to fit just right. This is why you need to shop around and find a brand that fits you well. Similar to helmet fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts