RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, having never posted pics of my whole bike before, I think it's time for me to introduce my Z to you guys.
So it's an 07 that I bought brand new in March of 2007. After months of waiting for it to arrive at the dealer, I finally bought it before they even got it, so I had never seen the bike in person, but I knew that was the bike I was looking for!
That's my second bike (I had a SV650S for two years) and I truly love that bike! It looks awesome, rides great and get all the looks and compliments.

I started to mod it last year but did most of the mods this summer, and now that I did almost everything I planned to do this year, I think I have to show some pics... ;)

But first of all, let's see the mods list.
- Misc stuff painted black
- Radiator covers removed
- All decals and badges removed
- Seat covered in black
- Custom fender eliminator
- K&N filter w/ airbox mod
- PC3 USB w/ custom map
- Two Brothers slip-ons shortened 5" and painted black
- Renthal ultralow handlebars
- Pazzo shorties in gold w/ black adjusters
- Hyperpro RSC steering damper
- eBay bar-end mirrors
- White LEDs in cluster
- Acumen DGI
- Aluminum foot pegs
- Projekt D frame sliders
- Fork sliders
- BMX pegs as exhaust sliders
- Clear alternatives smoke integrated taillight
- Powerbronze rear hugger
- OEM seat cowl
- 520 conversion from sprocketcenter with stealth +3 rear sprocket
- Scottoiler
- Speedohealer
- Gorilla 2-way alarm system
- ZX-10R rear shock w/ spring painted black
- ZX-10R black wheels

I think that's pretty much it for now...
Now before summer ends, I would like to do :
- Paint rear sets and passenger pegs black
- SS braided brake lines
- Maybe HID conversion
- Maybe paint header black

And now what you've been waiting for!

07 ZX-10R shock, Bolt-on swap

Scottoiler location

Shortened and painted cans

I used stainless steel button bolts instead of rivets for the caps, not only it looks good, but repack will be much easier!

I did all the mods and maintenance myself, in fact, nobody else ever worked on my bike except for tire change. I think it is much more rewarding when you can say you did all this yourself than to say you take it to the dealer everytime... Plus it saves alot of money you can put on more mods :D

Tell me what you guys think, what should I add/change/remove?
Questions and comments are welcome, good or bad!
And if you want close-ups of something, just ask!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good looking bike man, what kind of differance do you feel with the 520 +3?

·
Registered
525 Posts
No joke? 07 ZX-10R rear shock was a bolt on swap? Very interesting.

When you install the ZX-10R wheels, please please please let us know how it goes. I would really like to install the 04-07 ZX-10R wheels on my 07 Z1000. However, I've not had time to research axle diameters, etc. to see which year will work.

You've got a great looking and, most likely, performing bike. Good work. It's nice to be able to work on your own bike.

(oh, you forgot one sticker...the one on your chain guard, but that's minor) :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking bike man, what kind of differance do you feel with the 520 +3?
I can't say I really noticed the 520 because the +3 made the biggest difference anyway. But I love the +3 back there! Really makes the bike torquier and more wheelie friendly. It now tops out at a true 240 km/h (150mph).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No joke? 07 ZX-10R rear shock was a bolt on swap? Very interesting.

When you install the ZX-10R wheels, please please please let us know how it goes. I would really like to install the 04-07 ZX-10R wheels on my 07 Z1000. However, I've not had time to research axle diameters, etc. to see which year will work.

You've got a great looking and, most likely, performing bike. Good work. It's nice to be able to work on your own bike.

(oh, you forgot one sticker...the one on your chain guard, but that's minor) :)
Yup direct replacement for the shock! No need for linkage or anything, just pull out old shock and put back new one!

I already have the 10R wheels but I need to paint the rear and repair the front. I got a brand new 08 front wheel that was removed because it has a 2" scratch on the edge. The rear is from an 04.
I know the front is a direct swap, stock spacers work and rotors are the same as the 10.
The rear is trickier though. First, axle diameters are not the same (25mm for the Z and 20mm for the 10) but axle lenghts are the same so you could use either one with proper bearings/spacers, then the brake rotor on the 10 is smaller than the Z and the Z rotor won't bolt on to the 10 wheel. So what I did is, I bought a ZX10 rotor and a ZX9 caliper and bracket. I have not tried the caliper on the bike yet but I think it'll fit. I'll keep you updated when I get to it.

I know I left that sticker but I'm just to lazy to remove the hugger to get to the chain guard... but I'll do it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good job! Nothing beats working on your own bike. How do you like the handling with the 10R shock? Too harsh in the back? How does the front feel now? Appreciate any feedback...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job! Nothing beats working on your own bike. How do you like the handling with the 10R shock? Too harsh in the back? How does the front feel now? Appreciate any feedback...
The shock isn't harsh at all. In fact, I preloaded it pretty high because the spring is noticibly softer (8.3 kg/mm vs 10.5 kg/mm for the Z). As per Race tech, the ideal spring rate for my weight (150 lbs with no gear) on the Z would be 8.8 kg/mm. What I might try one of these days is find a spring from an 07-08 ZX-6R wich is 9.2kg/mm.
But it feels pretty good as is, it's not too soft and having individual comp and rebound adjustments makes the biggest difference. The rear end is more stable in high speed corners, when you hit a bump while leaning and accelerating out of corners. The front feels pretty much the same as before and I think it's not that bad at all. I've played with it's settings and found something that works well for me.

Thanks for the nice words!
Keep em coming

·
Triker
4,014 Posts
First 07 I like....................... removing the big rad side covers and adding the short-black TwoBros pipes did the trick.....
Now get some Black wheels on it man !

·
Triker
4,014 Posts
Also love to hear a sound clip of it if you could....:alcy:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll see if I can make one tomorrow.

By the way I'm scheduled for a dyno tune on thursday morning, so if rain stays out of the forecast, I'll have some numbers to post!!! And maybe a video from one of the runs.

Oh and I just got a gear indicator from acumen in the mail today, I may try to make it integrated kinda like those of Motydesign. We'll see....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Super cool votre Moto! Bravo!

personally, the only thing that catches my eye, is the plastic piece that is on the front fender. Its black plastic and not painted black. Would it be at all possible to paint it black? I dont know, but it would be something to look into!

As most everyone said, get those painted wheels on the bike!

Get cracking on powdercoating the rearsets.

Encore, Bravo!
Once again Congrats.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Super cool votre Moto! Bravo!

personally, the only thing that catches my eye, is the plastic piece that is on the front fender. Its black plastic and not painted black. Would it be at all possible to paint it black? I dont know, but it would be something to look into!

As most everyone said, get those painted wheels on the bike!

Get cracking on powdercoating the rearsets.

Encore, Bravo!
Once again Congrats.
Merci pour le compliment!

Yea those plastics pieces on the front fender would look good painted gloss black or even better diablo metallic black, but I won't paint them for now... Maybe next year.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shot a small vid today.

Also, I installed my DGI. Man, I love this thing!
I did not integrate it to the cluster because I didn't want to mess with this today, but I did integrate the connector from the universal harness in the meter assembly. I soldered the wires directly on the board, so no cut wires on the cluster harness.
Pic 2 also features white LEDs

·
Triker
4,014 Posts
DUDE............... That sounds killer, great job on the pipes. :righton:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do the 07+ Z's require front fork swap or is the stocker good enough?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts