RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Got the riffer running. but now it will not shift out of 5th gear it seems like the thing is stuck in gear. Any help is apprieciated. I dont know much about this gen of bike it seems like somthing is jsut stuck or somthing dumb.
Brandon

·
Registered
645 Posts
No idea if you're at a standstill when you do this but my Ninja 250 and wouldn't shift out of a higher gear if it was stationary. Trick was to let the clutch out slightly while tapping down on the shifter. When you hear it drop to 4th pull the clutch back in and repeat till in 1st. Murder the front brake while you do this just in case. Mine never needed more than idle to do this.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You can roll fwd and back with the engine off and get the same effect.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your help guys. I was reading all the maintince forums for something that would help, on almost every one there was something about the oil getting old and trouble shifting. so i changed the oil and it reaked of gas. so i ran the oil and once the oil warmed the bike started to shift .. a little. so i changed the oil agian and it started to shift smothley. once it started shifting I found out that somone had switched the linkage on the shifter, so when i shifted down i acutally was shifiing up

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Ah the old GP switcharoo! Make sure that your RF has a functional petcock, and that the needles and seats are doing their jobs as well. That gas had to get into the oil somehow. In the meantime I suppose you could just turn the fuel off when you park her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts