RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's had a hard life in her 43k miles. She's been set down on the side gently and not so gently, jumped accidentally, and basically been ridden like she is stolen since mile 7. And now she's really fighting back.

Mid turn coming home Thursday afternoon, the bike loses more than half its power almost making me dump it. It took almost WOT just to get up my driveway. Come to a stop and the FI light is on and she's running ugly and not sounding right. I turn the key off and wait a minute and restart. She's bogging down, idling low, and the FI light is on again. And here's where I get stumped.

I read the service manual on how to pull the FI code by jumpering the blue and orange wire. The problem is that no matter what I do, the FI light doesn't blink for me. I tried it exactly per the manual and a couple ways that "the internet" listed and no joy. Does anyone have a trick to get the code to flash? When I start the bike, it still runs like poo, and one exhaust pipe is much cooler than the other. I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow and if I can't get it to blink I'll start digging. First to go will be the PCIII (I have the PCV all ready to go anyway) but I want to see if she'll start and run without the PC, JIC the unit is going bad. It's a first gen PCIII-USB, so really old, and was used when I got it.

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress, assuming I make any.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It took me a while to deduce that WOT is wide open throttle. My first guess made no sense as Wheel of Time (a fantasy novel series) would not be relevant.

Good luck!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the PCIII is toast. Following the KISS method, I pulled the PCIII and put it back together to see if she would start and run. She fired right up and after some very minor fluctuations, settled into a nice rock steady idle. Revs perfectly through the whole range, no stumbles, no misses. So I guess these things have a shelf life.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m glad it was a somewhat easy fix. I’ve had a few moments where the FI light came on during startup. I’d turn the bike off and restart without issue. All stock though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m glad it was a somewhat easy fix. I’ve had a few moments where the FI light came on during startup. I’d turn the bike off and restart without issue. All stock though.
Yeah, being that it was the PCIII that explains why there were no codes in the memory. The FI light indicated that something weird was happening, but since it wasn't part of the bike's systems it couldn't register what the problem was.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To close out the thread, I've commuted for 3 days now with no PC and zero issues. One thing that is noticeable is that there is far less "grunt" as it were. The bike still has good power, but it's a lot less aggressive in how that power comes on. You could even call it "mild mannered" which if memory serves was one of the reasons a lot of people liked the 650 as a starter bike. Personally I disagree simply because too much throttle and you can easily end up in a world of hurt, even when its bone stock.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hear a lot about the PC's failing. Sometimes they just have a brain fart like us and need a reset. You could try re-sending the map to the unit and turning it back on, it may actually still work.

Although if you have the PCV laying around, it does definitely help with the top end if you get a good tune on it. Glad it was not anymore than the PC acting up. No fun replacing bikes if you are happy with what you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts