RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so here is what is going on; I rode my 2006 ninja 650r to breakfast, after breakfast it wouldn't start. It turns over and cranks but nothing. I disconnected the fuel line to see if the fuel pump would spit out gas when i try to start it and it doesn't. Then i hot wired the fuel pump and yes it worked fine (so it's not that). I have tested the fuel pump relay which works and also bypassed the vehicle down sensor (that didn't start it). Not sure what could be going on. Maybe the ecu has some regulation keeping the pump from being powered? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya like McRider said, its not the kill switch. I did check all the fuses i could find from the manual and they were all fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i apologize, i thought i deleted the first one, after i posted it under general i realized i should have posted it under maintenance. I'm back on it

·
Registered
533 Posts
Fuse? Or does this relay have the internal fuse? When you turn the key on, do you hear the pump priming? Could be your side stand switch...I had that problem last month and just removed it :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I haven't see any yay or nay on the fuse, that would be the first thing I would check as we'll.

Edit.

I didn't read very well. Maybe time to take a multi meter to the switch assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured it wasn't to do with kill switch wiring because it still cranks. As for testing the switch assembly if that is the main relay box, I have tested all the relays in it and they work fine

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How about checking the plug for the fuel pump, the multi-pin one just under the tank at the back. Maybe a pin got bent. You could also test each pin with a voltmeter to see if you're getting power when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've tested that too, it doesn't get power. I just bought a used ecu on eBay for 50 bucks, so we'll see if that can solve it. I'm doubtful but i don't know what else to try. Also i can't get the self diagnosis to work by grounding the orange/black wire.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
West in the Box..........

Not sure on your 06........ But, it may behoove you to read the Service Manual for your model year.....

This would be the first place (the motorcycle down sensor) I would refer to, if it was my bike : )

3-24 FUEL SYSTEM (DFI)
Troubleshooting the DFI System

When the motorcycle is down, the vehicle-down sensor
operates and the ECU shuts off the fuel pump relay, fuel injectors
and ignition system. The ignition switch is left ON. If
the starter button is pushed, the electric starter turns but the
engine does not start. When the starter button is pushed,
the yellow engine warning indicator light (LED) blinks but
the service code is not displayed. To start the engine again,
raise the motorcycle, turn the ignition switch to OFF, and
then ON.

Happy Hunting, and please keep us posted!

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts