RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1304471001825.jpg 1304471024536.jpg 1304470985300.jpg 1304470973613.jpg 1304471015969.jpg Hey guys, I purchased my bike (Kwasaki Ninja 650r 2009) two weeks ago and I have been riding it almost everyday. I have around 200 miles on it now and I decided to change my oil last night as I read on a lot of forums that people change it around 150-200 and then again at 600. I decited to be safe then sorry and go ahead with the oil change.

When I took the bottom (fins) off in order to get to the oil and oil filter I noticed kind of white acid looking leak next to the oil filter (pictures are attached). The one nut bolt is all covered in that acid looking thing and it kind of spread onto the oil filter and it dripped to the bottom of the (fins) that I took off from both sides to get to the oil filter.

Can you guys look at the pics and tell me what I am looking at here and what the problem might be. I am going to go to the deal today after work but I don't want them to start telling me a buch of bull. I want them to see that I know what I am talking about so they don't screw me.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. - I have been braking the bike in pretty easy, staying 5K or below for the first 100 miles, then 6K or below for the next 100 miles. No fast accelerating, using 1/4 throttle, taking few minute breakes every 30 minutes of riding. Max speed around 60mph.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like coolant to me. It burns off white and powdery looking. Plus your last pic has a greenish glob on the left side. Wipe it off and see if the paint is still there. Pull the parts diagram and see what that bolt goes to that appears to be the initiation point.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is coolant leaking out through the weep hole of the water pump. Usually means that the main bearing is gone. Easy enough to fix and replace if you have the means to press in the main bearing. Just dealt with it myself a few months back. Make sure you get it taken care of sooner rather than later as a complete failure of the seal will cause your oil and coolant start mixing, and that's bad, mkay.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you just got it form a dealer 2 weeks ago then it should be well under warranty. Just bring it back and have them figure it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is coolant leaking out through the weep hole of the water pump. Usually means that the main bearing is gone. Easy enough to fix and replace if you have the means to press in the main bearing. Just dealt with it myself a few months back. Make sure you get it taken care of sooner rather than later as a complete failure of the seal will cause your oil and coolant start mixing, and that's bad, mkay.
I am taking care of it now, I got the bike for two weeks and the warrenty will cover it. I am glad I decited to change the oil earlier and I noticed this. I don't know what the damage could have been if I waiting till 600 miles. I took the bike to a different kawasaki dealer, not the one where I bought the bike as this was is much clsoer to me. So the bike is at the service shop now waiting to be fixed. The guy working there was very suprised that the leak happened on this bike as he said these bikes are really good and he rarely seens stuff go bad with them. I am considering getting the extendad warranty maybe for another year when I get the offers in the mail, and just take it a year at a time just in case.

I told the guy I was changing the oil at 200 miles and I noticed this and he said that chaing the oil often is bad for the bike. I also asked him about the break in period and he said these bikes are built so well that there really is no break in period. As long as you dont red line it from the beginning, and just drive it normally you are in good shape.

I am just mad because the weatehr this weekend is supposed to be great, and I wont have my bike till next week :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm afraid this is the infamous water pump seal leak, see my website here:

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Faults.html#Question_1

The leak is coming out of the Water Pump witness hole. This is a relatively common fault and indicates that the impeller water seal is leaking inside the water pump. If you have a look at the Water Pump Parts Diagram you will see a seal behind the Water Pump Impeller (49063-1055 Seal – Mechanical, Water) this seal sits in the Housing (13227-0011 Housing), in this housing is a hole which sits in a cavity between the Coolant Seal and the Oil Seal. Should either coolant or oil leak past their respective seals into this cavity then it will drip from this hole and the appropriate seal needs to be replaced. The cavity exists so that should a seal leak occur the other systems fluid will not be contaminated.

Repair should not be overly difficult if you have some mechanical skills. Briefly - drain coolant, remove pump housing and impeller, pop out seal from housing and fit a new one, reassemble and refill coolant, bleed coolant system.

This is pretty common on new engines, the seal doesn't appear to bed in correctly. Your dealer should sort it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm afraid this is the infamous water pump seal leak, see my website here:

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Faults.html#Question_1

The leak is coming out of the Water Pump witness hole. This is a relatively common fault and indicates that the impeller water seal is leaking inside the water pump. If you have a look at the Water Pump Parts Diagram you will see a seal behind the Water Pump Impeller (49063-1055 Seal – Mechanical, Water) this seal sits in the Housing (13227-0011 Housing), in this housing is a hole which sits in a cavity between the Coolant Seal and the Oil Seal. Should either coolant or oil leak past their respective seals into this cavity then it will drip from this hole and the appropriate seal needs to be replaced. The cavity exists so that should a seal leak occur the other systems fluid will not be contaminated.

Repair should not be overly difficult if you have some mechanical skills. Briefly - drain coolant, remove pump housing and impeller, pop out seal from housing and fit a new one, reassemble and refill coolant, bleed coolant system.

This is pretty common on new engines, the seal doesn't appear to bed in correctly. Your dealer should sort it out.
I have seen your website on wednesday when I was researching my problem, it was very useful. Thanks for all of your help :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I just wanted to give you an update on my bike. The dealer called me Saturday and told me they could not find any leaks in my bike. He said that the coolant might have leaked a little in the 2+ years it has been sitting in the show room. But I have my bike now and there is nothing wrong with it :) I am closing in on 600 miles and the bike is getting better and better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts