RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share with everyone my recent accomplishment, of which I am quite proud of myself. I managed to do 630 miles in exactly 13 hours almost to the minute, and while I know that that doesn't average out to a very high average speed, I managed to make a few "interesting" choices in routing that added a lot of time and in one case ended up being a very scenic but absolutely pointless detour out of my way.

So, the trip: suburbs of Sacramento to my college campus, Cal State Long Beach. The Route: HWY 101 - I had hoped to take scenic and technically demanding and challenging HWY 1 the whole way, but due to some road closures at very un-strategic locations, the entire route is closed to through traffic (which I wish I knew beforehand...) But anyways, here are some pics that I took along the way, hope you enjoy! BTW if anyone is interested in a review of the saddlebags or tankbags, or route in general, I am more than happy to throw one up online.

Total information for the trip:
630 Miles, 13 Hours - Avg Speed: ~49 MPH
~53 MPG averaged over the whole trip
Gear: Shoei RF-1000, Mirrored Visor; Spidi Mesh Jacket; Alpinestars Vented Gloves; Shift Riding Boots; Rapid Transit 17 Liter Magnetic Tankbag; Nelson-Rigg Saddlebags (Total 50 Liters)
1 Minor spill, the result of some poor decision making on my part: "Hey, let's make a U-Turn on a narrow bit of highly cambered twisting canyon road with leaves all over the road!" Yeah, sounds dumb in retrospect. Tapped the brakes to keep my speed down in the turn, started getting leaned a little too much for comfort, rather than giving it gas I went to put my foot down and lost my balance, tipping over in the process. Damage was minimal - half of my right footpeg sheared off, but plenty left to ride; minor scratches on my frame sliders and my mirror. Snapped the prongs off of one of the straps on the saddlebags, but quickly fixed with a few zipties. Good to know I can dead lift a fully laden 500 pound sport bike from the low side on a banked corner. No damage to me thankfully, just exhausted from the whole trip, with sore hands and a sore a$$.

DSC00329.jpg DSC00332.jpg DSC00337.jpg DSC00336 edit.jpg DSC00350 edit.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice trip, so you did 13 hours in one day? How were you feeling after that, any discomfort? I am thinking of taking a trip to deals gap, NC at some point but its about 11 hours away from me. Not sure if doing it in one day would be too painful or split it into 2 days...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was definitely sore after. Even though I am really good about not clenching on the bars or holding them really tight, I still had really sore fingers and palms from the engine vibrations which really started to interfere with my riding about 10 hours in. Every so often I would just have to stretch my fingers so that I could pull the brake. My rear wasn't too happy about it either, but that wasn't really all that bad, if you take a break every two or so hours even just for gas and walk for a minute or two you'll be fine. However I will say that if you use any kind of mapping software like Google Maps or something similar, definitely add an hour to every five just to be sure, ie. a route that should take 10 hours on google maps will in all likelihood take 12, between gas stops, rest stops, traffic, weather, road conditions, etc. and the impossibility of averaging freeway speed limits (ie averaging 70mph the entirety of the trip) which is how Google calculates route times. So while you may be willing to take a 11 hour trip, be prepared that it may and in all likelihood will take longer than that, so be prepared. I ended up riding at night in Los Angeles traffic which was fine for me since I do it all the time, but if you have a tinted visor or aren't used to riding at night in an unfamiliar area or something like that be warned. Finally since you mentioned Deal's Gap, while I managed to do 13 hours in one day, there is absolutely no way that I could do anything close to that the next day. Between physical and mental fatigue of the trip I wasn't ready to be riding anything more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time (ie short errands around town) for a few days, so I wouldn't expect to make the trip, blast around Deals Gap and then make the ride back all in three days. Other than that, hope you enjoy your trip and have fun!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info. Yeah I figured splitting each way into 2 days would be the better option. Especially if my friend rides his 250r...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally love 250s. Does he have the last gen or the current gen? Either way, absolutely fantastic gas mileage and great for getting around town. I personally didn't ever own one but after riding a friend's a few times, I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a cheaper, fuel efficient bike with sport appeal. The only downside that I have with them is *here it comes* the power; while the torque of a 250 is great for getting around town, with the amount of touring long distances I do (friends I know that have/had 250s always swear by their horrible freeway gas mileage because of the sustained high RPMs) and the kind of traffic that I usually ride in (Los Angeles at rush hour), I honestly don't think I could ever feel comfortable riding something that I know couldn't pull rapidly from 60 or 70 to 90; lots of times I've had people in the carpool lane riding my back tire (practically within reach out and touch distance) at 80, and the only safe way to extricate myself from the situation was to make a quick pull past 90 and move over and let them pass. I am really good friends with a few LAPD officers, and they say that it's something they see all the time, and that 95% of the time, if they see the situation like I just mentioned they'll leave the motorcyclist be and give the cager a tailgating ticket along with their speeding ticket. Sorry for the length, just my $.02

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought when I planned the trip that I could cut through the base and keep going south - guess not. Oh well, live and learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts