RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks

I have a brand new Ninja 650 2014

I have about 750 miles on it and the dealership I work at will service me on Tuesday, however....
With riding it throughout the first 750 miles of it, I've noticed the idling needing to be adjusted a tad higher every 100 miles or so due to the tachometer needle and engine fluxuating even after warmed starts and rides.
The manual says between 1200-1300 rpms and it won't go below 1,450 ish with out hiccups. It's been doing this since about the 300 mile mark.
Obviously the service is Tuesday, but the mechanics said it's fine. It just doesn't seem right.

Youtube link right here of my video I made!
http://youtu.be/LVH3rI6yYXM

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
My RPM's went up in 100 rpm increments throughout the first 5-600 miles, but haven't moved any since. I mostly attribute this to the motor running smoother now. I now have 1000 miles and I keep my RPM's set at about 1350 and the bike is perfectly smooth.
If you are concerned, and I might be a little, sneak over to another dealer and have them check it out. Shouldn't matter which dealer warranty should still apply.
Lets say you've been seeing the same doctor for 25 years. You find a large lump on your inner thigh but doc says its fine. Wouldn't you go to another doctor for a second opinion? Especially if insurance was going to cover it? I would! (I know I use a lot of analogies- sue me).
The dealer you work for may not want to mess with it, after all its just you were talking about, and you work there. Maybe the service guy doesn't know what to do/check. Or maybe it's nothing, but if a new bike had trouble running that far out of factory recommended specs, I would want to know why, even if I had to pay for the check up (not work) myself. It's your dollar and your bike~

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
The manual says between 1200-1300 rpms and it won't go below 1,450 ish with out hiccups. It's been doing this since about the 300 mile mark.
Obviously the service is Tuesday, but the mechanics said it's fine. It just doesn't seem right.
The "mechanic" is a moron. Get a different mechanic (assuming that there is more than one available).
If it stumbles when the idle is set to 1200, something definitely is NOT right.
Far out chance that the tach is off.......but WAY far out.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Even at 1500 it still sounds like it's stammering, just faster. Mine is smooth as silk! I would definitely get a second opinion, maybe a third if necessary. Has it always done this since purchase or only since your service? How is it while riding, like when your accelerating from stopped in first?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first service is Tuesday, the dealership I work at is booked until then. SO I am over the 600 miles by a decent amount.

It started around the 300 mile mark..
As for riding, it's been flawless. I have not noticed any staggering what so ever, just the idle issue.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine does not like to idle below 1400. Zippo is wrong, just the way she runs.

A slight adjustment on the idle knob upward will help her find a rhythm beat. Over 2600 miles on mine and she is perfectly fine. I know other say just put regular gas it here - but mine runs better on 91 or 93.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Mine does not like to idle below 1400. Zippo is wrong, just the way she runs.

A slight adjustment on the idle knob upward will help her find a rhythm beat. Over 2600 miles on mine and she is perfectly fine. I know other say just put regular gas it here - but mine runs better on 91 or 93.
I don't know if you meant me, but your correct, I could be wrong, I'm no motorcycle mechanic. Now that I think about it, and like I already mentioned, I have mine set at 1350 and your saying you (drguru) only have yours set 100 more than I do. It could be that it just needs an oil change, I could actually tell a difference in smoothness while riding from before to after the first oil change. Maybe you should try a few different gas stations, try higher octane. I run plus in mine at every stop even though as Dave mentioned, most say it makes no difference, sometimes I still run a tank of premium through. After your oil change and trying different gas, if you still see no change or it gets worse, consult another mechanic. Do what's right for your investment, all I can do is recommend what I would do or try.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've almost had my 2013 for a year now, mine started lower and I have turned it up too... I keep it around 1350-1400. NOT positive on this but I think the octane of gas you use can affect it. Because I used to run 91-93 octane in dallas when I first bought it with 0 miles on the clock, but in lubbock I run 88 octane and it seems to not run as smooth here. Or that could just be from the dust and terrible weather Lol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your tach needle could be off.It didn't sound like it was idling that fast. With a PC 3 on my bike tach needle shows higher rpm then PC shows by about 200 rpms. So who's lying?

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
If your engine will not idle smoothly at the speed specified in the manual........THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT, either the engine itself or the tach.
You should NOT let the "mechanics" write this off as "normal". NOT.

[EDIT]
I just went back and listened to the clip.
At the start, it sounds more like it is only turning about 600 RPM and one cylinder is not firing all the time.
Even when you speed it up, It sounds a LOT more noisy than I think it should be; appears to STILL be missing some.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If your engine will not idle smoothly at the speed specified in the manual........THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT, either the engine itself or the tach.
You should NOT let the "mechanics" write this off as "normal". NOT.

[EDIT]
I just went back and listened to the clip.
At the start, it sounds more like it is only turning about 600 RPM and one cylinder is not firing all the time.
Even when you speed it up, It sounds a LOT more noisy than I think it should be; appears to STILL be missing some.

THIS IS NOT RIGHT.
Exactly what easy said - it missing that much with that few miles is a red flag in itself...

Oil level and everything else is where it should be? I'd love to see what comes out during that oil change...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
K so here is the update.

I had the mechanics look at it.
Service manager said the bike is fine.
However , since he changed the oil and filter it is now running flawless at 1100 Rpms.
My user error was the fact that I messed with the idle adjuster at cold temps which confused the timing of the engine apparently?
Bottom line is, don't mess with the idle adjuster at cold temps. If at all.
Lol my mistake all.
Fail. ...smh

·
Banned
3,123 Posts
And I think they are pulling your........leg.

It sounded more to me like one of the plug wires was loose.

Trying to adjust the idle speed while cold will NOT cause it to run like that.
Doing that will simply make it idle too fast when hot.

Too bad you work at that place.
I certainly would be looking for a different shop about now.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The timimg is fixed. You can't adjust it unless you had a PC5 and changed the timing map.So idle adjust has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump this after 4 years, but has anyone found a solution? I have the EXACT same bike with precisely same issue.
Did you recently install a new exhaust?

After a bit of troubleshooting I ended up changing the idle fuel/air mixture via my PC5. (+5%) It has only been a day so far but the idle seems much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts