RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i tried my hand at drag racing the Z tonight. I found it difficult to get off the line quickly and safely but i am still learning. 12 passes total here is my best run. obviously there is room for improvement. LOL

reaction: .451
60ft: 2.433
MPH: 99.33
ET: 8.3

anyone have any advice on getting the Z off the line quickly?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Find yourself a nice open space and practice your launching. When I run I generally bring the RPM's up to around 5k or so and pop the clutch at the last yellow light. this will usually give you a .1-.2 reaction time. The tricky part is getting comfortable launching... lots of practice! when I first learned I did it on a crappy old bike I didn't mind laying down because the first few times you do it it's quite disconcerting.
Just remember build up to the actual launch (i.e. don't start at the 5k rpm)
Also lean way forward over the tank, this will help to keep the front tire closer to the ground.
Always cover the rear brake, if the nose comes up to far a mild use of the rear brake will bring it back to earth.
Good luck

·
Registered
120 Posts
A Good Launch...

A few key points...

1. Don't be revving the motor..., just bring it to a steady speed, start low, and work up in rpm's... start at like 3000 rpm..., then 3500..., etc etc.

2. Don't just dump the clutch...learn to feather it...use the friction zone to prevent wheelies, and tirespin.

3. Launch on last yellow...as mentioned above.. if you see the green, you are too late, reaction time will be long...you have to anticipate it.

4. Have fun, be safe, and PRACTICE!

:alcy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
A few key points...

1. Don't be revving the motor..., just bring it to a steady speed, start low, and work up in rpm's... start at like 3000 rpm..., then 3500..., etc etc.

2. Don't just dump the clutch...learn to feather it...use the friction zone to prevent wheelies, and tirespin.

3. Launch on last yellow...as mentioned above.. if you see the green, you are too late, reaction time will be long...you have to anticipate it.

4. Have fun, be safe, and PRACTICE!

:alcy:

+1 launch on the last yellow, if you see green you have already lost.

Use your friction zone and keep the front end on the ground. I had a Vmax that I use to race and it ran the fastest when the front got light but stayed on the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics has a video on how to holeshot. Very informative. Worth every penny.

The jest of it is that you have to modulate the clutch out. No dumping the clutch. That is a no-no unless of course you have wheelie bars and are running a slick.

The best thing about this video is that it gives you a procedure where you are actually rolling and learn how to slip the clutch out learning how not to bog the motor or wheelie.

Much safer than trying to learn from a stopped postion.

YouTube has several video's but I have not watched them. Just do yourself a favor and spend that little ole change and get the video.

http://www.traxxion.com/racingsportbikes.aspx

It is in sport bike/racing, under accessories. It is the best 20 bucks you will ever spend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts